WINGS Screening in Wisconsin! Live Carl Davis Music!

Gagman 66

WINGS Screening in Wisconsin! Live Carl Davis Music!

Post by Gagman 66 »

:( The infinitely superior Kevin Brownlow-David Gill-Patrick Stanbury Photo-play Productions edition of WINGS is still tied up in an absurd "Legal Limbo", and thus not on TCM. When by all rights it should be the version that they are running.

:shock: Incredibly, however, this landmark movie is being screened, with a live orchestral performance of the Carl Davis score this coming February, in Wisconsin! If you want to see a beautifully restored tinted print of WINGS, in 35 millimeter, not the murky old dubb TCM is forced to run, and on the big screen, then here is your chance! :D

http://www.beloitjanesvillesymphony.org ... ances.html

http://nitrateville.com/viewtopic.php?t=1884

Buddy Rogers, Clara Bow, and Richard Arlen. From William Wellman's WINGS (Paramount, 1927)
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Lucky you! If you have a chance to catch this movie, run! :)
Gagman is absolutely right. The TCM print with its boring organ score on top looks like mud... :evil: Whereas the Photoplay version is pristine and tinted and Carl Davis gives the film such an emotional edge, it's incredible! 8) It's not the same picture!!! :shock:
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Christine,

:) Yes, I am very excited about finally seeing this edition at long last!

:? In fairness to TCM, it definitely isn't their fault that the old Laser-disc release is what Paramount provided them with. I certainly haven't given up in my quest to get the Photo-play version on TCM either.

:o Programing head Charles Tabesh of TCM, freely admitted that He was under the impression all along that the Photo-play edition is what they would be getting from Paramount when they inked the contract! Since then, He has been attempting to rectify the situation and clear the rights, but has been unsuccessful. Paramount/Viacom is directly to blame for the Brownlow restoration not being seen!

:( I was told by some guy who seems to know allot about lease-agreements on Nitrateville, that apparently, there never were any American Broadcast rights as part of the arrangement with Paramount for the Brownlow restoration, just British Television? Well, I say BIG DEAL! In 16 years, that should have long since changed! It all boils down to Paramount not paying Photo-play, and Carl Davis anything for all their hard-work! Gaylord Carter is passed on, and apparently has no "heirs" to speak of? That's why Paramount sticks with his version. They don't have to shell out any additional royalties to anyone.

:shock: It's recently come to my attention that the Safety-stock transfer used for the 1985 Paramount Laser-disc, was struck clear back in 1965! I am not kidding here! 43 years ago! Yet that is all that TCM is allowed to play of this picture!
:cry: