The Godless Girl (1928) on TCM Tonight! U. S. TV Premier!

Gagman 66

The Godless Girl (1928) on TCM Tonight! U. S. TV Premier!

Post by Gagman 66 »

Everyone,

:D The day has come! Cecil B. De Mille's final and perhaps finest Silent feature, THE GODLESS GIRL (1928) with Lina Basquette, Tom Keene, the delightful Marie Prevost, and Noah Beery makes it's TCM, and North American Broadcast premier on TCM's Silent Sunday Nights this evening! Yes, that's Tonight people!

:o This is the 2007 Photo-play Productions Presentation that first ran on Film 4 in Britain last year. It has not been released on DVD in this form. The picture has a brand new score by the great Carl Davis. This film is an absolute Masterpiece. Be sure not to miss the broadcast.

:roll: Despite what the write-up says in the Silent Sundays Profiles, the feature was originally released in the Summer of 1928, and not 1929. As this is the Silent version not the later re-edited part-talkie hybrid, it is indeed the 1928 cut of the film that TCM will be airing. While Basquette wasn't exactly Corinne Griffith, or Delores Costello in the looks department, she still gives a great performance in this film. Keene still being labeled as George Duryea is excellent as well.

:? Though some people find the religious overtones and message of the picture heavy-handed, frankly I'm tired of hearing that stuff! This is far less preachy than the vast majority of De Mille's other work. As a staunch Catholic I don't see the film in the same light as some other people do. Rather, I find it most inspiring.

:) The movie is an emotional powerhouse. The climax is quite startling. Marie Prevost always underrated, steals as much of the film as she is on camera with her role as the feisty "Mame". Prevost is completely hilarious. Just her mear presence is funny! I won't review the movie now, but be sure to tune in and, or record this one! Again props to TCM programmer Chuck Tabesh for signing a pact with Photo-play Productions to air this great film!

Lina Basquette She's THE GODLESS GIRL

Note: This Lobby-card is reduced in size as far as it will go. Hope that this is OK? I shrunk the other photo dramatically before posting.