Alice in Wonderland 1933

rudyfan

Alice in Wonderland 1933

Post by rudyfan »

Has anyone seen this version of the film, with all the Paramount stars in cameos (and sometimes horrible costumes) as the various characters? I've not seen it in decades and have not noticed it getting an airing on TCM that I can recall. Is it lost to copyright hades?

srowley75

Re: Alice in Wonderland 1933

Post by srowley75 »

TCM actually aired the film about 4-5 years ago, during their W. C. Fields tribute. For several months they ran almost all of Fields' 1930s Universal/Paramount films repeatedly.

I've seen parts of it. Given the costumes, makeup, and other various aspects, I think it may be the creepiest version of the story I've yet seen (though I should state that I haven't yet viewed the more contemporary version with Whoopi Goldberg as the Cheshire cat).

You might be able to find it on YouTube.

-Stephen
rudyfan

Re: Alice in Wonderland 1933

Post by rudyfan »

srowley75 wrote:TCM actually aired the film about 4-5 years ago, during their W. C. Fields tribute. For several months they ran almost all of Fields' 1930s Universal/Paramount films repeatedly.

I've seen parts of it. Given the costumes, makeup, and other various aspects, I think it may be the creepiest version of the story I've yet seen (though I should state that I haven't yet viewed the more contemporary version with Whoopi Goldberg as the Cheshire cat).

You might be able to find it on YouTube.

-Stephen
Oh crud! :-( I guess I should have paid more attention when they tributed Fields. :-(

Well, I've suggested it on TCM's site. I know Paramount (or Universal) have no interest in releasing it. Many early Paramounts languish in obscurity, much to my regret, I'd like to see them.
Thanks!
Well, the costumes are rather faithful to the original illustrations. I remember liking the film quite a bit.