Way Down East (1920) and Griffith's editing style

charliechaplinfan

Re: Way Down East (1920) and Griffith's editing style

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Of course I'd forgotten about that. I like felines but I don't like lions that much.

I remember reading that some of the heroines of the early serials did their own stunts. I don't know wether this is The Perils of Pauline or the Hazards of Helen or other such serials.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
drednm

Post by drednm »

Pearl White always claimed she did all her own stunts. She did most of them and injured her back badly. But it's very obvious in THE PERILS OF PAULINE that the person doing the stunt is not always White, and sometimes obviously a man. But then, the stunt in that serials were far more extreme and quickly done than in features....
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I finally watched this film and I see what you mean about the editing, I found it hard to follow the
story sometimes. I wasn't that crazy about the movie, it was touching sometimes but the only really
compelling moments were the ice flow scenes. Those were amazing! And I will say I though Richard
Barthlemess was grand. I haven't seen too much of his work, and I think this is the first silent of his
I've watched.

This is only my second Griffith movie, the first being Abraham Lincoln, and I'm aware neither are
considered his best. I really need to get to Birth... and Intolerance---the one that attracts
me most, however, is Orphans of the Storm.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Missgoddess,

While Intolerance is my favorite Griffith feature, Orphans of the Storm is the film I'd recommend next. It has a number of great set pieces as well as fine performances by the Gish sisters, and includes many of the elements Griffith is known for (the race-to-the-rescue chief among them, this time featuring Lillian and a guillotine!). It's long, but quite fun.

Hearts of the World is also very good (and again features both Gish sisters) and is essentially a remake of Birth, without the racism (and substitutes WWI for the Civil War).

When you do get around to Intolerance, despite its length, I highly recommend watching it in one sitting and not taking any long breaks. Much of the film's magic develops from Griffith's pacing as he cuts among the four stories, and the film's rousing climax (all four of 'em!) is far more effective viewed as a whole.

As for Birth. It's a masterpiece, but really tough going. The first half is brilliant. The second half, is, unfortunately, also technically brilliant. More's the shame...

For Richard Barthlemess silents, don't miss Tol'able David. Probably the best work of Americana put on film, and Barthelmess is terrific. (You might also check out Broken Blossoms, which is, of course, another terrific Griffith film.)
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Yes, I'm ashamed I haven't yet seen Tol'able David, after hearing so much about it. I have
a whole stack of silents on dvd-r that I have yet to get around to. I do like the "Americana" stuff from the
Ford/Rogers movies so I'm sure I will like Tol'able David.

Broken Blossoms my goodness, how could I forget. Now THAT is one I have seen by Griffith (ages ago)
and I LOVED it. Now that I recall it, it will be quite a feat if any of his films top that one for me.

Thank you, MJ, for the recommendations, especially Hearts of the World, which I am unfamiliar with.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers