Silent Summer Film Fest Chicago

Filmhorse

Silent Summer Film Fest Chicago

Post by Filmhorse »

The Silent Film Society of Chicago will present its summer film festival 17 July thru 28 August.
We have a great lineup of films this year including "Underworld" and "Seventh Heaven"
For more information check the website.
"Cinema derives not from painting, literature, sculpture, theatre, but from ancient popular wizardry. It is the contemporary manifestation of an evolving history of shadows, a delight in pictures that move, a belief in magic."
Jim Morrison
ChiO

Re: Silent Summer Film Fest Chicago

Post by ChiO »

The Silent Film Society of Chicago is having its 2011 Silent Film Festival just down the street a piece. One film every Friday night for the next six Fridays (starting tomorrow). Come join us for a long weekend (or six) and enjoy the cool 97 degree breeze off of the lake. The lineup:

A Girl in Every Port (Hawks, 1928)
Why Change Your Wife (DeMille, 1920)
Heart O' the Hills (DeGrasse/Franklin, 1919)
Sunrise (Murnau 1927) -- I hear that this is a pretty good movie.
The Cardboard Lover (Leonard, 1928)
The Mysterious Lady (Niblo, 1928)
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Wow, pretty great lineup to see some of the silent era's greatest actresses.

A Girl in Every Port--Louise Brooks in a brief, but revealing role. Hot, hot, hot.

Why Change Your Wife--Gloria Swanson and DeMille: Set and Match. Best, and last film of DeMille's "marital trilogy".

Heart O' the Hills--Mary Pickford as a feisty tomboy just on the cusp of being a woman in the hills of ol' Kentucky. One of her best.

Sunrise--Never heard of it.

The Cardboard Lover--Both Marion Davies and Jetta Goudal! The movie is great fun, too.

The Mysterious Lady--Garbo! That should be enough, but this is also one of her best, although for some reason, underrated silents.
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

:D A really great lineup. THE CARDBOARD LOVER is a delightful film. based on the Stage play that Starred Jeanne Eagels, and much, much better than the later sound remake. Plus it is very rarely screened.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

The 2012 edition of the Silent Summer Film Festival, a mere 7 blocks from home, begins tonight. The lineup (with live musical accompaniment) for the next six Friday nights:

SHERLOCK HOLMES (Albert Parker 1922) - with some Barrymore fellow, and William Powell & Hedda Hopper cameos
THE KID BROTHER (Ted Wilde & J.A. Howe 1927) - star Harold Lloyd and Lewis Milestone are the uncredited co-directors
THE SPIDERS (Fritz Lang 1919) - if I see just one, this is it
THE GAUCHO (F. Richard Jones 1927) - Douglas Sr. buckles his swash for Lupe Velez
STELLA DALLAS (Henry King 1925) - would you leave Ronald Colman?
OUR DANCING DAUGHTERS (Harry Beaumont 1928) - Joan Crawford plays it loose

Should I save you an aisle seat, MichiganJ?
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles