"Call Her Savage" (1932)

feaito

Post by feaito »

I watched "Call Her Savage" last week (thanks Tracey) and it really has everything: comedy, drama, pathos, sensuality, sexual innuendo, catfights et al. I agree with Mongo in that it appears that this film was made to enrage censors... It has every aspect that the Code later forbade. And the whipping scene! Priceless! It's Clara's show all the way. And her voice and accent were truly nice! Ought to be officially released on DVD!!
melwalton

Clara Bow

Post by melwalton »

Hi Mongo.
I saw 'Call Her Savage' when it first came out but that's all I remember about it. Was Fredric March in it? I guess, I was too young to notice all those interesting things mentioned in the posts. I did notice that Clara Bow was amongst the most beautiful women ever.
You said you were surprised it was made at Fox rather than WB, Coincidence maybe? Zanuck worked for the Bros, at that time and didn't move to Fox until about 1935. I don't know that he had anything to do with it, I just noticed the coincidence. To iterate: oooh was she beautiful!
I enjoy reading your spotlights on the actors.
feaito

Re: Clara Bow

Post by feaito »

melwalton wrote:Hi Mongo.
I saw 'Call Her Savage' when it first came out but that's all I remember about it. Was Fredric March in it? I guess, I was too young to notice all those interesting things mentioned in the posts. I did notice that Clara Bow was amongst the most beautiful women ever.
You said you were surprised it was made at Fox rather than WB, Coincidence maybe? Zanuck worked for the Bros, at that time and didn't move to Fox until about 1935. I don't know that he had anything to do with it, I just noticed the coincidence. To iterate: oooh was she beautiful!
I enjoy reading your spotlights on the actors.
Hi Mel, good to see you around!

The male leads in "CHS" were played by Gilbert Roland (who plays Nasa's "half-breed" childhood friend) and Monroe Owsley (who impersonates her husband).

Fredric March starred opposite Clara in "The Wild Party" as her Professor and in "True to The Navy".
melwalton

Clara Bow

Post by melwalton »

Thanks FEAITO, I'm gonna have to start looking things up more than I do, but I get these lazy spells especially after dinner, when it's so hard to stay awake. I recall only how beautiful Bow was, I know, I saw her in 'Wings' but don't remember much about it. Thanks.
feaito

Re: Clara Bow

Post by feaito »

melwalton wrote:Thanks FEAITO, I'm gonna have to start looking things up more than I do, but I get these lazy spells especially after dinner, when it's so hard to stay awake. I recall only how beautiful Bow was, I know, I saw her in 'Wings' but don't remember much about it. Thanks.
Welcome Mel. Try to check Clara in "It", it has Clara at her prime in one of her best films ever!
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

I just re-watched The Wild Party the other day. It has very little to recommend it other than Bow, which is recommendation enough.

I do wish that more of her work was available. I think only four of her silents are available on DVD -- Parisian Love, It, The Plastic Age and Down to the Sea in Ships. None of her talkies are available on DVD.
traceyk

Post by traceyk »

feaito wrote:I watched "Call Her Savage" last week (thanks Tracey) and it really has everything: comedy, drama, pathos, sensuality, sexual innuendo, catfights et al. I agree with Mongo in that it appears that this film was made to enrage censors... It has every aspect that the Code later forbade. And the whipping scene! Priceless! It's Clara's show all the way. And her voice and accent were truly nice! Ought to be officially released on DVD!!
Hey glad it finally got there. Wasn't that movie great? I had "Hoopla", which was supposed to be even more outrageous, but unfortunately it got sat on (or something) before I got a chance to watch it. (In my house, anything can happen) Big crack down the middle. Have to see if I can get a hold of a nother copy.

Tracey
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. "~~Wilde
feaito

Post by feaito »

traceyk wrote:
feaito wrote:I watched "Call Her Savage" last week (thanks Tracey) and it really has everything: comedy, drama, pathos, sensuality, sexual innuendo, catfights et al. I agree with Mongo in that it appears that this film was made to enrage censors... It has every aspect that the Code later forbade. And the whipping scene! Priceless! It's Clara's show all the way. And her voice and accent were truly nice! Ought to be officially released on DVD!!
Hey glad it finally got there. Wasn't that movie great? I had "Hoopla", which was supposed to be even more outrageous, but unfortunately it got sat on (or something) before I got a chance to watch it. (In my house, anything can happen) Big crack down the middle. Have to see if I can get a hold of a nother copy.

Tracey
I'd like to watch that one too! :wink: This is the second talkie of Clara Bow I've ever seen and it's certainly good! The other one's "Love Among the Millionaires" and I found it really bad :roll:

I'm intrigued by "The Wild Party" and thanks to you I'll have the chance of seeing "The Saturday Night Kid" too!
traceyk

Clara Bow pyhton costume "Hoopla"

Post by traceyk »

A while back I said I'd post this, but just now got around to trying:

Hooray! It worked!
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. "~~Wilde
feaito

Post by feaito »

Beautiful pix!! :D
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Heads up! Call Her Savage is showing tomorrow morning (7-23-2008)on Fox Movie Channel, 8 AM Central Daylight Savings Time.

After the lively discussion of this film, I'm really looking forward to seeing it.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard