The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters.
- Audrey Hepburn

THE MAGICIAN (1926) Tonight! TCM debut!

Moderators: Sue Sue Applegate, movieman1957, moira finnie, Lzcutter

feaito

Re: THE MAGICIAN (1926) Tonight! TCM debut!

Postby feaito » October 24th, 2012, 9:23 am

charliechaplinfan wrote:I love your avatar Moira :wink:

A deeply credible moment featured in an incredibly credible (no pun intended) masterpiece from the Golden Era.

moira finnie
Administrator

Postby moira finnie » October 24th, 2012, 7:21 pm

feaito wrote:
charliechaplinfan wrote:I love your avatar Moira :wink:

A deeply credible moment featured in an incredibly credible (no pun intended) masterpiece from the Golden Era.

Thanks, Alison. Yeah, like Fernando said!! I like Fredric March when he kids his strait-laced core.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks

JackFavell

Postby JackFavell » October 25th, 2012, 7:27 am

March does so many comic things in BYOOL, but they all have an edge, a dark one at that. Maybe my favorite moment happens with a bromo he is pouring back and forth between two glasses(for the hangover he has inflicted upon himself), and he ends up trying to drink out of the empty glass. This is all done while the meat of the scene is going on, and I literally never noticed it until last time I watched the film. Something different always pops up in this movie that I never noticed before, it's so rich in detail.

feaito

Postby feaito » October 25th, 2012, 7:43 am

JackFavell wrote:Something different always pops up in this movie that I never noticed before, it's so rich in detail.

There you go Wendy. Absolutely my feelings about that masterpiece.

moira finnie
Administrator

Postby moira finnie » October 26th, 2012, 4:01 pm

JackFavell wrote:March does so many comic things in BYOOL, but they all have an edge, a dark one at that. Maybe my favorite moment happens with a bromo he is pouring back and forth between two glasses(for the hangover he has inflicted upon himself), and he ends up trying to drink out of the empty glass. This is all done while the meat of the scene is going on, and I literally never noticed it until last time I watched the film. Something different always pops up in this movie that I never noticed before, it's so rich in detail.

Yes....and then he burps (!) in what I believe might be an improvised moment courtesy of his digestive tract.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks

charliechaplinfan

Postby charliechaplinfan » October 27th, 2012, 12:10 pm

I only discovered BYOOL last year, I love it, I'm going to have to watch it again soon, 6 brilliant performances from the main characters and so layered.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin

Return to “Silents & PreCodes”