WHAT PRICE GLORY? (1926) Coming To TCM Soon?

Gagman 66

WHAT PRICE GLORY? (1926) Coming To TCM Soon?

Post by Gagman 66 »

:D Huge news tonight. The renowned historian/archivist David Shepard of Film Preservation Associates confirms that TCM has paid for a brand new digital transfer of Raoul Walsh famous, but long unseen 1926 Silent War Drama WHAT PRICE GLORY? So, the question is why isn't this on the Memorial Day schedule this year? The movie which Stars Victor McLaglen, Edmund Lowe and Dolores Del Rio has not been shown on Television since the old AMC aired the 1930 Movie-tone track re-issue way back in 1996.Based on the popular stage play, WHAT PRICE GLORY? was one of Fox's major films of the 1920's. It also produced the Popular Standard "CHARMAINE" written for the films score by the Prolific duo of Erno Rapee' And Lew Pollack.

Here is the surprising quote on Nitrateville:

"TCM has paid for a digital restoration from a full aperture 35mm silent print and a separate element with the Movietone score. It looks/sounds very nice. Sooner or later they will remember it's there and will schedule it for transmission."

David Shepard

This is truly incredible news! Especially since it is a Fox feature? Not MGM or Warner Brothers.WPG you may remember had been on the schedule last year for Memorial Day, but was ultimately replaced by John Ford's FOUR SONS (1928). Although, not with the original Movie-tone score. Though not with the Movie-tone Track. Sunday they are airing Lon Chaney's TELL IT TO THE MARINES again. Last featured during the Memorial Day line-up in 2006. Though not really a War movie. Again, I wonder why WHAT PRICE wasn't rescheduled for this year? So that leaves me to ponder, What about Colleen Moore's LILAC TIME (1928) with Gary Cooper??? Not to mention Richard Barthelmess THE PATENT LEATHER KID (1927). Both of which Warner's owns. Dare we hope for Pola Negri's BARBED WIRE (1927). A Paramount film so unlikely. Shepard had already confirmed the new version of WINGS (1927) forth-coming. Although, rather that is for DVD/Blu-ray, TCM one of the other or both is not clear? I'm still waiting for word on King Vidor's THE BIG PARADE as well. Will we ever see the 2004 restoration? I will keep people posted as I acquire additional information.

Maybe TCM has WHAT PRICE GLORY? reserved for Veterans day this year. Possibly the newly restored WINGS as well? Although, I would give anything for the new master's of THE BIG PARADE, and LILAC TIME? At least we know that the new versions of WINGS and WPG are on the way. Now I have to try and reach TCM programmer Chuck Tabesh and see what He knows about this? Last year it didn't appear that Fox even had a Studio print of WPG in it's archive. Miracles do happen! I'm very gratified, but unlike most people I have already seen WPG many times. So personally anything with Colleen Moore would be the best possible news to me. Starting with LILAC TIME. But if it's BROKEN CHAINS, IRENE, TWINKLETOES, HER WILD OAT, anything we haven't seen on TCM before, I would be happy.