Underground (1928-Anthony Asquith)

moira finnie
Administrator

Underground (1928-Anthony Asquith)

Post by moira finnie »

Have any of our members ever seen any version of the late silent film Underground (1928), the first project that Anthony Asquith directed alone? It was restored by the BFI and screened at the London Film Festival in 2009. Last year it was seen again in the UK with a live performance by composer Neil Brand as a accompaniment.
Above: Elissa Landi and Cyril McLaglen in Underground (1928).

I became interested when looking at Brian Aherne's early film work recently. Aherne, Elissa Landi, and Cyril McLaglen (yes, he's the brother of Victor) p in a story set largely in the Underground in London. Aherne and McLaglen can be seen fighting in this exciting scene from the film (It's easy to see the influence of Hitchcock here). :
[youtube][/youtube]

I have been trying to find a DVD of the movie, but would love to know if others have seen this too. As you can tell from the clip above, the story centers around the fierce rivalry between Aherne and McLaglen for Landi's hand with Brian playing a handsome bounder who thinks he is impossible to resist, while Cyril tries to impress with his dogged persistence As one on-line poster mentioned after seeing this film, in real life McLaglen might have a tough time against his rival.
Above: Elissa Landi and Brian Aherne in Underground (1928).

Those who have seen it remarked on the movie's humor and technical mastery, which is pretty clear from that clip too.
If anyone has seen the earlier silent that Asquith and Aherne also worked on, Shooting Stars (1928), I hope you'll post here too. Thanks in advance for any comments.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Rita Hayworth

Re: Underground (1928-Anthony Asquith)

Post by Rita Hayworth »

moirafinnie wrote:Image
Have any of our members ever seen any version of the late silent film Underground (1928), the first project that Anthony Asquith directed alone? It was restored by the BFI and screened at the London Film Festival in 2009. Last year it was seen again in the UK with a live performance by composer Neil Brand as a accompaniment.
Above: Elissa Landi and Cyril McLaglen in Underground (1928).
I was in London in 2009 ... seeing this film at the London Film Festival and it was very good film to watch ... Couple of my friends from Vancouver B.C. and I attended and I'm a fan of this movie ... it is a wonderful silent film to watch and I was shocked to see Brian Adhere who played Bill and a young Elissa Landi who played Nell. I saw it on October (checked my travel records) 23rd and I was very pleased to see it.

Very entertaining movie ... about a love story that torn part two brothers that fell in love with one woman.

How we managed to see this film ... a couple from London (my friend Business Associates) ... had extra tickets and they had to go to New Zealand for a family emergency and they gave us about four tickets so that me, and three friends of mine a chance to see it.

We were very fortunate to see it and it was one of many highlights of my ten days trip to London that year.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Oh, how fortunate, Kingme. Did anyone at the film festival mention if it would ever be issued on a DVD?

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

moirafinnie wrote:Oh, how fortunate, Kingme. Did anyone at the film festival mention if it would ever be issued on a DVD?
I did not hear anything ... but it would be great if they ever did produced one! ... I would be :D if they did make one.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I haven't found one yet, though I did request that TCM consider airing this movie on Silent Sunday Nights, if possible. There can be so many obstacles to acquiring broadcast rights to a film of this age, I won't hold my breath, though I know how hard their programming department tries to find films of this quality.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

I saw Underground not so long ago in Paris (last January). It's a brilliant piece of film-making. Alas, the score was terrible (we didn't get the Neil Brand one). here is what I wrote about it: here. I don't know what the BFI plans are regarding a DVD. But I hope they will do one. The film deserves it.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Ann Harding wrote:I saw Underground not so long ago in Paris (last January). It's a brilliant piece of film-making. Alas, the score was terrible (we didn't get the Neil Brand one). here is what I wrote about it: here. I don't know what the BFI plans are regarding a DVD. But I hope they will do one. The film deserves it.
Ann Harding.

Thanks ... I glad we (Moira and I) have another fan of this movie!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That was a stunning film clip, Moira! I am a fan of Asquith's, and this (and Ann Harding's review) shows exactly why. If ever a man was meant to be a director, it is Asquith. For a first or second outing on his own, it looks like a masterfully directed film.
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

The DVD + Blu-Ray is coming out on 17th June 2013. A must buy:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00B6RBT0G
The film is accompanied by a new orchestral score by Neil Brand. Excellent!