Will Children of Divorce ever be available on DVD??.

HowardRoarkSheffield

Will Children of Divorce ever be available on DVD??.

Post by HowardRoarkSheffield »

Hi,
I'm currently pulling my hair out over the film Children of Divorce with Clara Bow and Gary Cooper. I really want to see it, yet the only screenings of this film appear to be in the US. I live in England and its very hard to watch rare silent movies, in in fact its very hard to watch most classic movies, only a small selection of "well known classics" are shown. Also, many of the films I look for are only available of Region One DVD's. But with Children Of Divorce it doesn't appear to be available on DVD or VHS :( . Does anyone know if there are any plans to put this on DVD?
[b][color=#FF0000]HowardRoarkSheffield [/color][/b]
[i]Crying over the fact I was born a hundred years too late. [/i]
[color=#FF0000]Contact me: [email protected] [/color]
http://roshulse.tumblr.com/
JackFavell

Re: Will Children of Divorce ever be available on DVD??.

Post by JackFavell »

Hello, Howard, welcome to the Oasis! I'm sorry I haven't any information for you, I just wanted to say hi.

I've been dying to see the film for years too. If the companies would only listen, they'd know that this is probably the most sought after film among silent fans.
HowardRoarkSheffield

Thanks. That's a shame. Do you think it would be worth starting a petition or something, I suppose we could kill them...but that would be messy. If these people only knew the heartache they cause.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Welcome, Howard.

As far as I know Children of Divorce (1927) is one of those many Paramount titles that is controlled by Sony/Universal, who do not seem to be fervently interested in marketing their vast library of movies. I do know that the Library of Congress has a print and that the UCLA Film and Television Archive screened a 35mm print of this film in January, 2013 that was reportedly in excellent condition. Perhaps someone will post this on youtube someday or it could find its way to DVD.

Regarding the issues you have found with Region 1 and 2 DVDs, I have found relatively inexpensive (under $100) region free dvd players are readily available. Perhaps you could acquire one in the future?

In any case, thank you for joining the site! I hope you will speak up if you need any assistance in the future.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
HowardRoarkSheffield

Thank you for the lovely welcome. A sent a quick email to the archive department at the UCLA asking if they know of any plans. So may hear back..earliest Monday...or never. Oh well, I suppose its all part of the game, having good taste in movies means we need some barriers to keep us alert.
Cheers again
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Hello, Howard!
One of our dearest members is Alison, AKA CharlieChaplinFan. She is a resident of Lancashire, wouldn't it be lovely if you were close to her area?

welcome, and hope you find your film!

Nancy
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

That's one movie that I wanted to see for very long time and I for one ... would love to see it on DVD someday ... and welcome to the OASIS, Howard!
feaito

Post by feaito »

Howard welcome to SSO!

Hi dear Moira, I understand that Universal holds the rights to all movies released by Paramount between 1929-1948 (talkies only). Their pre-1929 catalogue still belongs to Paramount pictures itself (i.e.: the 1923 "The Ten Commandments" was released as part of the extras of the 1956 Remake Paramount release; The Wedding March (1928), The Docks of New York (1928), The Covered Wagon (1923) and The Last Command (1928) were released on VHS by Paramount) So it will be even least likely that COD will ever be released, because I feel that Paramount is even stingier with their Classics catalogue.
CoffeeDan

Post by CoffeeDan »

Somebody should note here that CHILDREN OF DIVORCE was released on DVD/Blu-ray two years ago by Flicker Alley.

Anybody else seen it besides me?
feaito

Post by feaito »

Hi Dan, so long no see. I pre-ordered the Blu Ray from Flicker Alley and watched it as soon as I got it and I enjoyed the film completely.

I posted this opinion on the SSO Group at Facebook, in February 2017:

"Children of Divorce" (1927) (Dir: Frank Lloyd)

Some days ago I had the opportunity of seeing Flicker Alley's wonderful Blu-Ray release of this film and the print looks pretty awesome. It tells the story of three childhood friends -who are the children of the divorce of the title-; two girls (played as grown-ups by Clara Bow and Esther Ralston) raised in a convent where their divorced parents left them and a boy (played as an adult by Gary Cooper) who's raised by his divorced dad.

Clara Bow's character's mum (Hedda Hopper) instills into her mind that she must marry for money or else; the lovely Esther Ralston's character is one of the richest heiresses in the USA, wants to be married for keeps and she won't rush into it and Gary Cooper's character (another rich heir), who is in love with Ralston's character, leads an idle life until convinced by her that he must accomplish something.

The story is melodramatic, but absorbing and well acted by the beautiful Esther Ralston and, especially, by Clara Bow, who demonstrates what a good actress she was. This was Gary Cooper's first lead and he's fine and not at all as bad as some reviewers state. Einar Hanson is the second male lead.

The release includes a wonderful documentary on Clara Bow's life.