The Wonderful Deanna Durbin

Moderators: Lzcutter, kingrat, movieman1957, moirafinnie, Sue Sue Applegate

Re: The Wonderful Deanna Durbin

Postby Uncle Stevie » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:04 am

Deanna Durbin's first onscreen kiss which only lasted two seconds was with Robert Stack in FIRST LOVE. You'll notice that as she grew older, the kisses grew longer. By the time Deanna made movie number ten called IT STARTED WITH EVE, which was her first one after her marriage, the kissing time had stretched to overtime!! Now Robert Cummings had a "make-up" kiss with Deanna in IT STARTED WITH EVE which wasn't a romantic one, but he did lock lips with her for over 10 seconds!!
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
Uncle Stevie

Postby Rita Hayworth » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:18 am

Uncle Stevie wrote:By the time Deanna made movie number ten called IT STARTED WITH EVE, which was her first one after her marriage, the kissing time had stretched to overtime!! Now Robert Cummings had a "make-up" kiss with Deanna in IT STARTED WITH EVE which wasn't a romantic one, but he did lock lips with her for over 10 seconds!!

10 Seconds! ... Man, that is a long time Uncle Stevie!
Avatar: Glamour Photograph of Rita Hayworth during Only Angels Have Wings - 1939

I have only two words to describe Rita Hayworth“Dreamlike Gorgeousness”

Erik
Rita Hayworth

Postby JackFavell » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:58 pm

Oh come on, where's the love for 100 Men and a Girl, or Three Smart Girls? :D :D :D
JackFavell

Postby CineMaven » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:36 pm

Uncle Stevie wrote:...Now Robert Cummings had a "make-up" kiss with Deanna in IT STARTED WITH EVE which wasn't a romantic one, but he did lock lips with her for over 10 seconds!!

...And Tom Jones held the last note in "Thunderball" for twelve-seconds. But more about THAT in the Bond thread.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
CineMaven

Postby feaito » Thu May 02, 2013 4:21 pm

Uncle Stevie wrote:My favorite is "His Butler's Sister". She is most maturely beautiful in this one and sing a great variety of songs including a Russian medely which caused her to be a favorite in Russia. I think it is a sweet movie.

Deanna was 22 at the time and she starred with Franchot Tone and Pat O'Brien.

Hey Uncle Stevie, You have here another admirer of "His Butler's Sister" (1943) which benefits of Frank Borzage's masterful talent to elevate any movie's standard; Durbin's talent and charm; Franchot Tone's and Pat O'Brien's great acting abilities; a superb supporting cast (Alan Mowbray, Akim Tamiroff, Florence Bates, etc.); high production values; awesome cinematography and an excellent DVD release (UK).

She displays her vocal qualities superbly; her rendition of "Nessum Dorma" is moving and overwhelming. Her close-ups are dreamlike. Her romantic chemistry with Tone is great, and the comedic and touching moments perfectly handled by Borzage. A winner.

A made a point of watching a Deanna Durbin film to pay homage to her after I knew of her death...
Life is Beautiful.
feaito

Postby JackFavell » Thu May 02, 2013 4:31 pm

That's quite the supporting cast!
JackFavell

Postby feaito » Thu May 02, 2013 5:02 pm

JackFavell wrote:That's quite the supporting cast!

Indeed...and add Roscoe Karns, Hans Conried, Evelyn Ankers, Sig Arno, Walter Catlett, Elsa Janssen (delightful)....
Life is Beautiful.
feaito

Postby JackFavell » Thu May 02, 2013 7:47 pm

Aghh! Roscoe's in it too? Oh, GAAAAAAD! I guess I need to watch this one!
JackFavell

Postby Fossy » Thu May 02, 2013 10:27 pm

At present I have one of my granddaughters staying with me. I told her of the death of Deanna, but she was not sure who I meant, so I put “Every Sunday” on for her. She was sufficiently impressed to want to see more, so last night I put on “Three Smart Girls”.

Again she was impressed and wants to see more of Deanna. (I have all her movies). When the movie started I was in the kitchen making a cuppa,.Jaimee called to me. She had stopped the movie. I came in and she told me that there was a call on my mobile, but the phone had stopped ringing. She knew my ring tone, but she did not know that my ring tone was Deanna`s first song in her first feature movie.

I have been told that I must put another of Deanna`s movies on tonight.
Fossy

Postby JackFavell » Thu May 02, 2013 10:50 pm

Oh that's funny!

Three Smart Girls Grow Up? or something to mix it up a bit?
JackFavell

Postby Rita Hayworth » Sat May 04, 2013 5:45 am

Deanna Durbin

Here is a couple of photos from my private collection ... Enjoy!
Attachments
Denna Durbin 1.jpg
Denna Durbin 1.jpg (40.15 KiB) Viewed 471 times
Denna Durbin 2.jpg
Denna Durbin 2.jpg (65.29 KiB) Viewed 471 times
Avatar: Glamour Photograph of Rita Hayworth during Only Angels Have Wings - 1939

I have only two words to describe Rita Hayworth“Dreamlike Gorgeousness”

Erik
Rita Hayworth

Postby moirafinnie » Mon May 06, 2013 5:44 pm

A couple of things I wanted to share gleaned from the last week's spotlight on Deanna Durbin's life and legacy:

TCM Remembers Deanna Durbin is a video that has been running on the network for several days. It features some sublime images of the performer. Nothing has been announced yet, but I would not be surprised if a tribute to Durbin was arranged to be featured on TCM's schedule when it becomes possible. Please note that the release of Durbin's films for broadcast seems to have been exceptionally rare in the past and is likely to continue unless someone at Sony/Universal has a sudden epiphany. Here's hoping that happens.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLuKDLNNxug[/youtube]

A series of in-depth posts on Deanna Durbin that were published in the last few days by the fine film historian and Ramon Novarro biographer Andre Soares on his blog, The Alternative Film Guide:

Dead at 91: Top Universal Star Deanna Durbin

Universal Saved by ‘Miracle Films’ Starring Deanna Durbin

Adrift at Universal Without Joe Pasternak: Deanna Durbin

From Wholesome Musicals to Film Noir: ’40s Deanna Durbin

Highest Paid Actress in the World: Deanna Durbin

Less-Than-Rosy Hollywood Memories: Deanna Durbin

Private Individual vs. Public Persona: Deanna Durbin
Avatar: Felix Bressart (1892-1949), delightful character actor, wearing a monocle in "It All Came True" (1940).

April is Monocle Month: Fashion Mavens have declared that the Monocle is hip again.

Blogs:
The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks[/i]
moirafinnie
Administrator

Postby Uncle Stevie » Wed May 08, 2013 3:06 am

it is hard for me to forget Deanna. She has been my love for a very long time. I own all of her movies and play them periodically. Although she was not in the public eye for over 50 years I will still miss her. Rest in peace Deanna Durbin. there have been so few talent of your quality to hit the movie scene so young.

With all my love

Uncle Stevie
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
Uncle Stevie

Previous

Return to Musicals