The leading ladies of George Formby

stuart.uk

The leading ladies of George Formby

Post by stuart.uk »

Though not well known in America, George Formby in the 1930s was arguably Britain's greatest all-round male entertainer. mind you he had it all to his own in the 30s with Jack Buchanan the only other one i can think of

Formby was the son of George Formby snr a legendary star of the British Music Hall stage (going of topic another performer of the 1920s was Lapino Lane, the uncle of Ida, and famous for singing The Lambeth Walk). Jnr followed in his fathers footsteps, before entering the movies, singing hit songs like I'm Leaning On The Lampost and When I'm Cleaning Windows (Peter Sellers does a wonderful impression of one of his great heros) with his trusted Ukulele, in what were musical comedies

One of his first leading ladies was his wife Beryl, who ruled him with a rod of iron. she never allowed any kissing scenes with other leading ladys and when he was threatened with a passionate embrace he let out one of his catch phrases 'Mother!' (his most famous catchphrase was Turned Out Nice Again)

however, that said George Formby gave many young actresses their first movie breaks. In Boots! Boots! and On The Dole, Beryl was leading lady, but in No Limit, a film about the Ilse Of Man TT Races George plays a motor cycle rider opisisite brilliant impressionist Florence Desmond, who was also in Keep Your Seats Please.

in Keep Fit and I See Ice we really have an actress, who went on to achieve greatness Kay Walsh. a young Googie Whithers was in Trouble Brewing, then Phyillis Calvert joined him for Let George Do It, a comedy war film. Dinah Sheridan was another future big name that joined him for Get Cracking.

many of the movies were directed by Monty Banks and John Paddy Carstairs. here's a video link of George
YouTube - George Formby - Fanlight Fanny
An edit I made of the great George Formby. With his classic phrase "Turned out nice again hasn't it" which was placed backwards as spoken by John Lennon on

www.youtube.com/watch?v=55-oNqY1yTU · Cached page
Show more results from www.youtube.com
Last edited by stuart.uk on May 30th, 2008, 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.