WHAT MUSICALS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

RedRiver

Re: WHAT MUSICALS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by RedRiver »

Who remembers the flour commercial that borrowed the tune?

Can do! Can do!
With Gold Meadow, you can do!

I knew the jingle before I'd even heard of GUYS AND DOLLS! The power of marketing.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'm not sure but it sounds familiar...is it from the 60's?
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I'd say early 60's. The sum of my awareness stems from that decade.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'm a 70's gal myself.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Clearly, I was quite young. The product I've just referred to as Gold Meadow Flour was actually Gold MEDAL! I became suspicious and looked it up. Once a thing gets stuck in your mind, it's hard to get rid of it!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Thank God we're not on that OTHER message board. I'd be hearing about my mistake for days!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

And you know what's sad? I even remember gold medal flour and I didn't catch the mistake!

So we are in the same rockin' boat, red,

My favorite line from Sit Down You're Rockin' the Boat btw, is

and by some chance found a bottle in my fist
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

WEST SIDE STORY was on PBS last night. I hadn't planned on watching much of it. Turned it on. Left it on! The depth, the poetry (Thank you, Mr. Shakespeare!), the intensity of this movie are incredible. So is the craftsmanship: editing, cinematography, and those haunting colors casting shades on the dark city. To mention choreography would be stating the obvious! This may be the only time I've truly admired Natalie Wood as an actress. I understand it's someone else singing. But it's Natalie's sensitive, expressive face. That face tells much of the story.

I envy people who saw this for the first time on a big screen. It must be magnificent. It's rare that I rave about a movie musical. The genre doesn't translate well. But there are exceptions. And there's WEST SIDE STORY. This is one of those movies I couldn't fault if I tried.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Sandy, did you get to sing Bushel and a Peck? It wasn't in the movie, but it was in the road show I saw years ago at Starlight theater in KC. That was the song I sang while I rocked my son to sleep each night.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I used to hear that song when I was little. At least, I assume that's the same song. I only recently learned it's from GUYS AND DOLLS! Why in Heaven's name would they omit a cute number for the movie?
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I sang Bushel and a Peck to my daughter too, Nan! She still occasionally sings it around the house!

It beats me all to heck why they would dump that song from the movie. It's my biggest complaint with the film, that three of the best songs are switched out or cut, and the songs added are inferior.

doodle oodle oodle

thump thump goodbye now!

doodle oodle oodle oooh.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

"Fair Weather" is not my favorite either. But it's watchable. I enjoyed it, and nothing about it offended my intelligence. Some talented performers.
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

In the stage version, Adelaide and the Hot Box Girls sing "A Bushel and a Peck" in Act One at the Hot Box Club. At the end of the number, she has a brief scene with Nathan Detroit and then sings "Adelaide's Lament". In Act Two, Adelaide and the girls sing "Take Back Your Mink", again a number at the Hot Box Club. In Act Two, Adelaide also sings a reprise of the Lament, and "Sue Me" with Nathan and "Marry the Man Today" with Sarah Brown. That's what I remember from being in the show.

A Bushel and a Peck was replaced in the film by the inferior "Pet Me, Papa". I know Sue Me is in the film, but I can't remember if Marry the Man Today was cut for the film...

Sinatra's number "Adelaide" was added for the film, as Nathan is not a vocal heavy role in the show.

Honestly, even though he was older than Brando, I think that Sinatra would have made a fine Sky Masterson. Vocally, he would have been superlative. And he always played those difficult, complex, elusive characters well. Nathan is really a more comic role.

Sandy K