Anna Neagle rocking with Anthony Newley The Lady Is A Square

stuart.uk

Anna Neagle rocking with Anthony Newley The Lady Is A Square

Post by stuart.uk »

I have always wanted to see the movie The Lady Is A Square, even though it's not highly rated. I have however, found a clip of the end of the movie where one of the great stars of the classical era Anna Neagle does a delightful rock an roll dance with Anthony Newley. Another couple are also featured Frankie 'Give Me The Moonlight'Vaughan, who would later star with Marilyn Monroe in Let's Make Love, with I think Jeanette Scott, but I'm not sure.

JackFavell

Re: Anna Neagle rocking with Anthony Newley The Lady Is A Square

Post by JackFavell »

That is a riot Stuart! I wish they'd left the music in, how graceful Newley seems, I'm quite shocked at both of them, but they are great!
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Wendy

The music is working at my end. I've just discovered that the number was filmed in front of an audience at the then London's Talk Of The Town theatre
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh, it's working, but it sounds like they overdubbed the original music with a different song.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

You maybe right there Wendy. Frankie Vaughan was the male star of the film and it might have been his song they were dancing to. I was reading about how in the film Frankie mockingly sang The Lady Is A Square to the straight laced old fashioned Neagle. That reminds me of Frank Sinatra doing much the same thing to Rita Hayworth with The Lady Is A Tramp from Pal Joey.

Here's Newley singing in the film Jazz Boat

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That's crazy! I didn't know Newley was a teen idol type! I only remember my parents record of Stop the World I Want to Get Off, and then Dr. Dolittle, plus many many appearances on Merv Griffin or Mike Douglas, two talk shows in the U.S. at that time.

Someone at youtube likes him though, there's a ton of videos with him.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Wendy, here's Newley in the film that turned him into a pop star. This film was inspired by Elvis joining the army

This is my fav Newley pop song

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thanks, Stuart! There used to be a really powerful clip of Newley singing Who Can I Turn To on you tube, but they removed it. It was in black and white and was early on in the 60's.