The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters.

Luciano Pavorotti

Moderators: Sue Sue Applegate, movieman1957, moira finnie, Lzcutter

Uncle Stevie

Luciano Pavorotti

Postby Uncle Stevie » June 29th, 2012, 1:05 am

I just listened to Luciano Pavarotti and Kathryn Harrold in "Yes, Giorgio" while this is not the best production of a movie I must declare that in my opinion Pavoritti was the grestest tenor I ever heard. Here is the YouTube movie -

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CjxU5O9Dr4[/youtube]
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"

JackFavell

Re: Luciano Pavorotti

Postby JackFavell » June 29th, 2012, 11:22 am

Of all the opera singers in the last few decades, I think Pavarotti, when on his game, was the absolute best and sincerest talent there was.

kingrat

Postby kingrat » June 29th, 2012, 1:19 pm

Yes, he could combine the sweetness and finesse of Jussi Bjorling with the power of the best Italian tenors.

Yes, Giorgio is not the best vehicle one could have hoped for to bring his gifts to a wider audience.

MissGoddess

Postby MissGoddess » June 29th, 2012, 2:45 pm

I know very little about opera singers, tenors or otherwise, but I always responded with rapture whenever I caught a Pavarotti performance on television. I also admired his obvious love of life. A true artist, that is plain even to one as ignorant as I about such things.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers

JackFavell

Postby JackFavell » June 29th, 2012, 3:33 pm

His emotion was always what drew me to his singing there is no faking that he threw himself fully into the music and it's meaning.

Professional Tourist

Re: Luciano Pavarotti

Postby Professional Tourist » June 30th, 2012, 1:44 pm

I must admit I've never been a fan of Pavarotti. He had a great voice, but I didn't like the way he used it, nor his personality -- I won't get into details so as not to be impolite. When I used to attend opera at The Met, my favorite tenors were Alfredo Kraus and Placido Domingo. To me, a great opera movie was the Carmen Domingo made in 1984 with Julia Migenes-Johnson. That was what first got me interested in opera.

Moraldo Rubini

Postby Moraldo Rubini » July 3rd, 2012, 8:28 pm

In his prime, there is no doubt he was a great lyric tenor. I'm disheartened that most people seem to know him from his stadium concerts, and "Three Tenors" uber-events. As an opera fan, I was fortunate to see Pavarotti perform many times in operas as well as recitals. I met him on several occasions, and have many great memories of his performances. The sweetness of his Un'Aura Amorosa in a recital in Barcelona, and his debut in Turandot are two high points in my opera-going past. Unfortunately, he wasn't used to best effect in Hollywood. But he was bigger than life, and really couldn't be captured on a screen. The opera house was his best venue.

[My thanks to PT for his mention of Alfredo Kraus. Now this was a tenor with elegance and sophistication. Domingo? Great dramatic tenor. A different fach than Pavarotti, so there is really no contents between the two. All were at the top of their game.]

JackFavell

Postby JackFavell » July 3rd, 2012, 8:48 pm

Oh my gosh, Alfredo Kraus! I really loved listening to him! Elegant is the word.

Return to “Musicals”