Dan Dailey: Likable, Talented, or...Not?

Vienna

Re: Dan Dailey: Likable, Talented, or...Not?

Post by Vienna »

I like Dan Dailey's easy style though haven't seen too many of his films. I've just been listening to him harmonising with Ethel Merman ("Play a Simple Melody") and he is very good and he certainly wasn't outshone by Ethel in There's No Business Like Showbusiness.
He played a slightly different ,downbeat role in The Best Things in Life Are Free. Again he did it well.
Funny to see him in the 60s TV series FOUR JUST MEN ,costarring with Richard Conte, Charles Boyer and Vittoria De Sica.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I like him, but I've been in a very charitable mood lately, giving stars I never liked a new chance. That's not to say that I never liked Dailey. I do, he's easy breezy and dances well. I like his voice very much and the crinkles in his face. He's just not at the top of my list.

My favorite Dan Dailey performance is in the non musical THE WINGS OF EAGLES. He's just absolutely great in this movie, I don't even have words for how good he is. I have to thank MissG for cluing me in on the film.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

JackFavell wrote: My favorite Dan Dailey performance is in the non musical THE WINGS OF EAGLES. He's just absolutely great in this movie, I don't even have words for how good he is. I have to thank MissG for cluing me in on the film.
I like that Western when he teamed up with Wayne and O'Hara. I like him in that Movie.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Glad you liked it kingme.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

JackFavell wrote:Glad you liked it kingme.
Your Welcome!
:)
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Has anyone else ever thought there was a huge gap in the story between John Wayne's and Dan Dailey's characters? Jughead works like a dog to get Spig back on his feet, and then just disappears until the very end of the movie. When they meet again, Jughead is very reserved...is there more to the backstory, was Jughead a fictional character?
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I never really thought about that, Nan. I just assumed that the movie took a different turn, more toward the marriage problems that Spig and Min had. I'll have to look at the end again to remember the reserve you are talking about... could it be that Jughead is just embarrassed to take any credit for having helped him, and was just stepping out of the limelight to show there is no thanks needed? I need a refresh!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

that could be answer, but after all he did for Spig, why wouldn't Spig have been around or with him afterwards? Just doesn't make a lot of sense to me, it makes Spig look like a very insensitive guy...
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That's a good point! I just watched the final 10 minutes, and I think you could put a couple of different spins on the ending.

1. Jughead was like a mother hen, pushing her chick out of the nest. He didn't want Spig to feel beholden to him, so he was harsh with him, cutting him off before Spig could say thank you or "I owe you".

2. Jughead felt that Spig was past his prime, a liability to himself and others, but he didn't want to say anything to Spig about it. He couldn't hide it though when talking to him, so he put on a gruff exterior and 'cut' Spig cold, rather than have to tell him.

There are definitely complicated emotions in those final scenes, and Ford doesn't pound you over the head with his interpretation of what is happening between the two men. It could be a mixture of both of the things I mentioned, or something completely different that I can't figure out. It's probably a bit different to every audience member who watches. I know it felt to me more like Jughead was the one who chose to be a jerk to Spig, rather than the other way around, but perhaps out of selfless motives. Or not. :D
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

"I'm gonna move that toe..." Dailey is good in "Wings." Watching it on TV, my whole family said, "Holy cow! I didn't Dan Dailey could act!" He's kind of fun as Dizzy Dean too. He had personality.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I had that exact same reaction, Red! I didn't know Dan Dailey could ACT. Makes me wish he had done more dramas or non musicals, at least. Did he have a TV show at any point? So many of the actors of that generation went on to become TV detectives and something is niggling at the back of my mind saying Dailey did TV...??
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Just finished watching TNBLSB, and was,again for the umpteenth time, impressed with Dan Dailey and the serious scenes he did, especially those with Donald O'Connor. It looked like he actually slugged O'Connor in the hospital scene. And yes, I blubbered like a baby (also for the umpteenth time) at the end when the family is reunited. Ethel Merman gets me every time.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Wendy, there was a short-lived sitcom in the early 1970's called THE GOVERNOR AND JJ. Dailey played the chief executive of a state, who had a feisty grown daughter. Played by...I don't remember! Some said it was too good for TV. Cancelled before it could find its audience.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ahh! Thanks, Red! Yes I remember I think her name was Julie or something? Or maybe that was the character's name...

Knitty, I always watch TNBLSB for Donald O'Connor. I did get to see a part of one of the musical numbers today, and thought how good DD was as a dancer, not flashy but relazed and enjoyable to watch. I missed the rest of it. We had all sorts of things going on at home, friends over and then Andrew bought us an early Christmas present.... a new TV! So even if I wanted to watch, I couldn't have, because there was all the fun installation to get through... :shock:
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

JackFavell wrote:Ahh! Thanks, Red! Yes I remember I think her name was Julie or something? Or maybe that was the character's name...

Knitty, I always watch TNBLSB for Donald O'Connor. I did get to see a part of one of the musical numbers today, and thought how good DD was as a dancer, not flashy but relazed and enjoyable to watch. I missed the rest of it. We had all sorts of things going on at home, friends over and then Andrew bought us an early Christmas present.... a new TV! So even if I wanted to watch, I couldn't have, because there was all the fun installation to get through... :shock:
Ooh, been there, done that... :roll: .why is something "even a child can do" so dad gummed HARD???? what is supposed to be exciting and fun turns into an almost shouting match..... :oops: :cry: :lol: