Forbidden Music (1936)

Fossy

Forbidden Music (1936)

Post by Fossy »

Land Without Music (1936) This movie was released in USA in 1938. In September 1948 it was re-released in USA as Forbidden Music (1936)

Based on an operetta by Oscar Strauss. The movie is set in The Grand Duchy of Lucco.

Richard Tauber as Mario Carlini , a great tenor who grew up in Lucco, and returns each year to perform in concert.
Diana Napier, as Princess Maria Renata, Regent for her young nephew.
Jimmy Durante as Jonah J. Whistler
June Clyde, his daughter and secretary, Sadie.
Derrick De Marney, as Rudolpho, son of the police chief.
Esme Percy as the Austrian Ambassador

Lucco is in debt to neighbouring Austria., The Austrian ambassador has delivered an ultimatum to the Princess, pay up, or Austria will take over Lucco. The people of Lucco are quite content to make music all day instead of working.

In an attempt to save her country and force the people to work and pay taxes, Maria bans all music, and instruments are to be forfeited. The police chief sets up a black market in musical instruments.

Newspaper reporter Jonah, along with Sadie and Carlini enter the country and set up an illegal concert. Sadie and Rudolpho are in love at first sight, and to set up the concert in a cave in the forest. So the young lovers can be alone, Carlini feigns tiredness and stops to rest.

He meets Maria in the forest, and , not knowing who she is, tells her of the concert. She assures him that she will be there. The principals are arrested. Jonah incites the people to riot. Maria tells the ambassador that he has won. The ban is lifted. Jonah tells Maria that money will flow into the country from all over the world

I could not help wondering if there was something between Maria and Carlini off stage. When he told her that he loved her, they had the strangest looks on their faces, as if there was something between them apart from the show. I thought that perhaps film crew off stage were making faces at them.

Because I was not familiar with Diana Napier I researched her and found the answer, she and Richard were newlyweds.
feaito

Re: Forbidden Music (1936)

Post by feaito »

Sounds like a film I'd like Fossy; very interesting and intriguing, thanks for bringing it up, I did not know of its existence.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Found the film on Youtube and will watch it ASAP. :D
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Donald is so cute, it's a shame he can't be in the whole thing. :D
feaito

Post by feaito »

Donald?...mmm.. I haven't seen it yet....but to whom are you referring WEN?
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oops, I'm sorry guys, I'm in the wrong thread! Never mind. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
feaito

Post by feaito »

I have just finished watching this lightweight and pleasant British film-operetta. Tauber indeed has an amazing voice; he was said to be second only to Caruso. He has fine rapport with the regal-bearing, aristocratic and beautiful Diana Napier. June Clyde and Derrick De Marney play the young lovers and Durante, who plays Clyde's dad, of course adds for laughs. Thanks Fossy for singling out this particular film, I had a fine time watching it. :D