Idol On Parade

stuart.uk

Idol On Parade

Post by stuart.uk »

I finally got to see Idol On parade with Anthony Newley, a film which parody's Elvis's draft into the army. In the film Newley's Jeep Jackson is called up for his National Service and is sent to the wrong posting. There was a Henry Jackson, played by Bernie Winter's, who got sent to what was supposed to be Jeeps posting. One far fetched moments in the film his Newley's Manager breaking into the army base and sneak Newley out for a concert. Could you imagine Colonel Parker being able to do that with Elvis LOL.

It's not a great film by any means. Instead of Rock an Roll, Jeep's the king of Rock a Boogie. Most of the songs aren't great, but I've Waited So Long was a great ballad which became a great hit for Newley, launching his career as a popstar.Now while IOP isn't a great film I think it's an important movie in the history of British light entertainment. If I'd been producing the film I'd have thought Tommy Steele, Frankie Vaughnn or even a young inexperienced Cliff Richard for the role of Jeep, so in that sense the casting of actor Newley as Jeep was inspired. As a direct result of IOP Newley became a pop star with hits like Do You Mind, and Stawberry Fair. This led to what made him an international star and aclaimed musical composer with stage hits Stop The World I Want To Get Off and The Roar Of The Greaspaint and he also did the film musical Dr. Dolittle with Rex Harrison and Samatha Edgar.
loureviews

Re: Idol On Parade

Post by loureviews »

I watched this and Jazzboat for the first time this year. They're not great films but Newley had a good screen personality and I do like his songs from this part of his career. Idol on Parade was so obviously influenced by Elvis being drafted though - 'I've Waited So Long' could almost have been a number from the King's 1950s period.
stuart.uk

Re: Idol On Parade

Post by stuart.uk »

Tony seemed to have a bit of a double act going with Bernie Winters in at least 3 films. Yet Bernie was already a double act partner of his brother Mike. I don't think Tony got the credit he deserved in the UK, unlike in America. As a song writer of lyrics he should at the very least be compared to Sir Tim Rice, as far as British musical theatre is concerned. As a performer he should be up there with Sir Cliff Richard and Sir Tom Jones. He reminds me of Tommy Steele in the sense both prefered working in the theatre rather than films. Steele hasn't made a film since the 70s and Newley, despite great potential,didn't make that many films after Dr. Dolittle.

I was joking with myself the other day that Tony was the biggest star ever to appear in the UK soap Eastenders, toward the end of his career.