Singin` In The Rain

Fossy

Singin` In The Rain

Post by Fossy »

Singin` In The Rain (1952)

Possibly one of the best musicals of all time. Set in the late 1920`s tells the story of the introduction of talking movies.
Lina Lamont (Jean Hagen) is a star, but has a squeaky voice. Don Lockwood (Gene Kelly) is her famous co star who discovers Kathy Selden (Debbie Reynolds). Secretly, with the aid of Cosmo Brown (Donald O`Connor). Lina`s voice is dubbed by Kathy, who eventually becomes a star

Some interesting asides----

Filming of the Cyd Charisse dance number had to be stopped for several hours after it was discovered that her pubic hair was visible through her costume. When the problem was finally fixed, the film's costume designer Walter Plunkett said, "It's OK, guys, we've finally got Cyd's crotch licked."

In the "Would You" number, Kathy Selden (Debbie Reynolds) is dubbing the voice of Lina Lamont (Jean Hagen) because Lina's voice is shrill and screechy. However, it's not Reynolds who is really speaking, it's Jean Hagen herself, who actually had a beautiful deep, rich voice. So you have Jean Hagen dubbing Debbie Reynolds dubbing Jean Hagen. And when Debbie is supposedly dubbing Jean's singing of "Would You", the voice you hear singing actually belongs to Betty Noyes, who had a much richer singing voice than Debbie.
JackFavell

Re: Singin` In The Rain

Post by JackFavell »

The Would You number has become my favorite number in Singin' in the Rain. It's so very poignant. It gives me a shiver whenever I watch it. The background story on the dubbing that you mentioned actually adds to the poignancy for me. It's all fake, but what a beautiful fake it is, a dream made into reality, which is what Hollywood is all about. A love note to all those who make films.

You have that great plaintive song, far more romantic in my eyes than the other love song. It's beautifully sung and the arrangement is terribly wistful. I love the look on Lina's face, it makes me like her better. She's trying to remember the words of the song as she's singing into the phonograph horn, trying so hard, and we kind of see how she's fallen in love with the idea of love with Don. Without that scene, she'd just be a shrewish harpy, not a character we love.

But that's just the beginning. We see the recording on a wax record we heard about earlier from Roscoe, the director. This leads us seamlessly right into the heart of the scene - that absolutely beautiful, melting montage of clips set to music showing just how a movie is made...from step one to the final product. It's stunning. A labor of love. You can feel the love of film pouring off the screen. The great thing is, it also moves the plot forward, in such a brilliant, concise way. The entire work of a studio, not told, but shown, in one minute of screen time. When the shot of the two lovers fades from color into black and white, and the sound turns vintage, I choke up. And our timeline is brought forward cleanly to the premiere of The Dancing Cavalier. It's incredible.

It could stand alone as a tribute to the creators of Hollywood's dream. It's absolutely great film-making.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I consider this Musical the Greatest Musical ever made. Bar None. This Gene Kelly Classic will endure the test of time and I just love the music, the dancing, and star power of Kelly ... This is my favorite part of the movie!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS7eczi9qlU
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Erik, I could not agree more. LOVE this movie and this scene never fails to send a delightful shiver through me. Actually, only two moments in movie musicals continue to have this effect on yours truly: Gene Kelly's title number and:

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Western Guy, that one always does it for me too. Gives me a shiver thinking about it! I get pretty choked up during a lot of that film, and I have to admit that more than one scene in Singin' in the Rain makes that shiver run down my spine, in a good way of course, like it's the best of the best happening right in front of your eyes.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Wendy -- the only word that explains our shared evocative feeling is:

Talent!

God, how I miss that in today's so-called entertainment.

Watch this and hold back a nostalgic tear:

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Choked me up, seeing Pat choke up.

Ha! But that story of the kid! How funny is that!
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Wendy, Jim told that story about the lad often and it always left the door open as to what Rocky "really" did on the way to the chair at Sing Sing. Personally, to me, there's no question: The tough guy turned softie for his friend.

BTW: Did you notice that moment in the You Tube clip where Pat puts his hand on Jimmy's? Noticed for the first time the contrast in flesh color: with Jimmy's skin coloring looking rather yellowish. Kinda shows IMO the circulatory problems dear Jimmy was suffering with at the time.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I did notice how pale Jimmy was.

I am positive that Rocky put on that yellow act for the Father. No way was he yellow. God what a performance. And I like that they echoed it in White Heat later on, in the prison cafeteria scene.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

You know, Wendy, without getting off topic on this thread, how there could have been any debate as to Rocky's "sacrifice"? Just watch him with Father Pat in his cell prior to his walk down the last mile, then study the look of steely defiance on his countenance prior to turning into the death chamber. Just ain't no way he suddenly turned coward. He knew what was comin' and I don't buy his coming into view of the electric chair of a sudden changing his attitude.

But I suppose some others might see it differently.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

It's fun to think that there was some debate over it. That just makes it all the better.

He went noble in my book.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Why not, Wen? Heck, he even sacrificed himself for Priscilla Lane's happiness in "The Roaring Twenties".

BTW: Jumping back onto topic. My all-time favorite supporting player Millard Mitchell holds his own against the triumph of talent in "Singin' in the Rain". Thanks to SSO actors of his caliber remain never forgotten.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Millard Mitchell is hilarious. I love his waffling around. "Yes. I'm the head of this studio."
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Yet so tragically taken at age 50 from lung cancer.