Follow the Fleet/Roberta - Fred & Ginger

Synnove

Post by Synnove »

I have also been wanting to watch Follow the Fleet again, after reading this thread. It has been a while since I saw it, and although my recollection of it hasn't been overwhelmingly positive, I think I might just give it another look!

I saw Top Hat last Friday with my mother. It is such perfect escapism, every moment is great entertainment. I love how they built Venice, it's almost Munchkinland! I also love Helen Broderick. Fred and Ginger are at their best in this film, and the songs and dance numbers are all memorable.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

The Fred and Ginger films do have a style all of their own. it's a world I'd love to inhabit :)

I loved Follow The Fleet so much I've just ordered a CD with the songs from their musicals on.

I'm just sat here with my 5 year old daughter watching the dances again, hopefully I'm breeding a fellow fan :D

Something I forgot to mention yesterday is that in Britain the film was shown without the word 'Satan' being sung. The song was looped together without the offending word.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: Follow the Fleet/Roberta - Fred & Ginger

Post by movieman1957 »

It's been some time since I've seen "Follow The Fleet." While there is plenty to like some of it doesn't quite carry it to the level of the other A&R pictures.

Aside from our stars Scott and Hilliard are fine. It's especially nice to see Scott in this type of role. Several of the songs have some great word play and eccentric rhymes and that keeps them interesting. Ginger's solo dance and the fine "Let's Face The Music" number at the end are highlights. One thing RKO didn't really exploit in other films and should have was Astaire's piano playing. He is very good. That was not any easy piece and he did it quite effortlessly. You could make an argument that could have been a highlight in other pictures. The "rehearsal" dance was fun.

On the downside I found that the comedy wasn't up to a par with several of the other films.That doesn't make it bad only not as sharp as what I was expecting. I did see a commentary with it where one man thought that was A&R trying to be more of an every man type character. That's okay but I like the elegance.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I couldn't agree more! It's my least favorite of the early Astaire Rogers films. That being said, it still has plenty going for it. I find Harriet Hillard a bit tiresome. On the other hand, without that silly storyline we wouldn't get Lucy, dolling her up.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I'm a big fan of Follow the Fleet and I think it's because if the music and the dance numbers plus Ginger has more to do in this one, Fred doesn't come across as well as an everyman, that is the downside, I prefer him in all his elegance not as a sailor but it's a cute film, one I could watch again and again. it also contains my favourite of all the dances, Let's Face the Music and Dance although it's a play within a play so to speak, it's very elegant.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I have been wanting to see this movie for so long ... did I miss it on TCM?
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I got it from Netflix. I don't think it's been on TCM in a while.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Vienna

Post by Vienna »

Nice to be reminded which songs are in which films.
I tend to prefer the uptempo numbers like "No Strings" which is so beautifully written - I love the lyrics - '..No strings,no connections, no ties to my affections ...'
I agree Fred's piano playing should have been used more, as in the start of "I'm putting all my eggs in One Basket", a good comedy number.
I also like "I'd Rather lead a Band", again with super lyrics - 'If I could be the wealthy owner of a large industry,I would say not for me..I'd rather lead a band...'
I love all the Astaire/ Rogers numbers, but I'm afraid their plots often left me more irritated than amused.

Http://dancinglady39.wordpress.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

No Strings is one of my favorite numbers in all the Astaire Rogers musicals. In fact, I'd say the entire beginning section of the movie is just magic! From No Strings through Isn't This a Lovely Day, well, this is the best it can possibly get, as far as I'm concerned. I get misty eyed over it, how great these two numbers are, and all the connective tissue that holds it together. It feels youthful and happy, the stars are having a good time just enjoying each other's company, and if the jokes are a little corny, well, the way they are put forth is like the lightest confection.