REVEILLE WITH BEVERLY

moira finnie
Administrator

REVEILLE WITH BEVERLY

Post by moira finnie »

I must be getting terribly undemanding in my movie watching. While reading the other night, I enjoyed Reveille with Beverly (1943) very much. Perhaps it was because it was the kind of movie that you could have in the background happily while you sew, read, garden, wash the floor or write checks, or better yet, attempt to balance that checkbook.

I see that the TCM board's gang pretty much rejected TCM's airing of Reveille with Beverly (1943), a neatly arranged, unambitious little forties showcase for several wondrous big band numbers featuring Count Basie and Orchestra, The Mills Brothers, Bob Crosby and his band, Freddy Slacker's orchestra, the great Duke Ellington and orchestra, some awful comedians and a seriously unattractive, anemic Frank Sinatra before he learned to sing. It also featured a delightful version of the "Cow-Cow Boogie" tune. Oh, and Franklin Pangborn graced this movie as well! No he didn't sing, but fussed amusedly.

The movie was very loosely held together by alot of shots of Ann Miller's kewpie doll mug (no wonder the girl was fending off L.B. Mayer and various Texas oil millionaires back then. She could be lovely, especially when she wasn't speaking. And likable in repose or dancing--best of all when dancing).

Best moment: Annie tapping her way to victory around a flaming V for Victory on the stage floor. Mr. Osborne says that Ann Miller singed herself rather badly during the filming. Hope it wasn't too painful for her. Such artistry may be well worth it.

This scene must've been what gave the brilliant Stan Freberg the inspired idea to use Ms. Miller several decades later in the very similar over-the-top "The Great American Soup" ad. Great fun. Did anyone else like this or am I just silly? No need to answer. Just thought it mindless fun. Hoped that others might be susceptible to the undemanding film.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Like we've agreed before, sometimes you come across some unpretentious little piece of fluff, or foolishness that simply entertains. You don't feel the need to study it, or question it, or have a program to follow. Simply sit back, relax and enjoy. A little before my time, but my parents would have loved it. Their dating years were 1940 - 1943 and of course, whenever I caught either of them humming, it was something from that era, no matter what had followed.

Anne
Last edited by mrsl on August 24th, 2007, 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
benwhowell

Killer soundtrack!

Post by benwhowell »

I enjoyed it, Moira. Especially the "music videos" from the '40's! I was surprised at how many of my favorite songs from that era were included-"Big Noise From Winnetka," "Take The A Train," "Night And Day," "One O'Clock Jump" and, of course, "Cow-Cow Boogie!" Sinatra did look "anemic." :lol:
I wonder how many movies have used that "poor guy/rich guy identity switch?" Just saw one the other night-Elvis Presley's "Clambake."
There also seemed to be a strange "fixation" with Ann's big hat. What was that about?
Also fun to see Franklin Pangborn. Don't think I've ever seen him in a boat fishing before!