That's Dancing

sandykaypax

That's Dancing

Post by sandykaypax »

I watched That's Dancing yesterday. I'm working my way through the Classic Musicals from the Dream Factory Vol. 2 box set.

It certainly is a lesser film that the That's Entertainment! series...I did enjoy seeing some clips from other studios than MGM--Shirley Temple and Bill Bojangles Robinson and The Nicholas Brothers from Fox, for example. A large section devoted to Astaire and Rogers' RKO musicals, and Busby Berkeley's Warner Brothers films.

I liked the format of dance on film through time, up to the modern day, which in this case was the 1980's. But the clip from Fame of the Hot Lunch number was stretching it. It is not a choreographed dance number, just a bunch of freestyle dance that isn't really filmed well.

Also, am I the only person who thinks that the title dance number from Flashdance doesn't go with the music?! That has always bothered me.

Still, an enjoyable movie. It's nice to have it on dvd just to watch selected numbers.

Sandy K
EleanorPowellFan

That's Dancing

Post by EleanorPowellFan »

I just love this film, it is such a good outline of the dance throughout history. Though I think they should have put at least more Eleanor Powell and Ann Miller in there.