The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters.

Roman Holiday

Moderators: Sue Sue Applegate, movieman1957, moira finnie, Lzcutter

Moraldo Rubini

Postby Moraldo Rubini » February 17th, 2008, 1:55 pm

Add me to the "love it" list. But I don't understand why Roman Holiday is so often listed as Hepburn's debut, when she'd already made numerous films? I suppose it was her American debut...

theduckthief

Postby theduckthief » April 19th, 2008, 8:37 pm

My favourite scene from this movie is the 'Mouth of Truth' because before they filmed the scene Greg talked to Wyler about pretending his hand had been cut off. Wyler told him not to tell Audrey and the version you see on screen is her honest, freaked out, reaction.
I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members - Groucho

movieman1957
Administrator

Postby movieman1957 » April 19th, 2008, 8:40 pm

How cheeky of them to scare the poor girl. How wonderful they were smart enough to film it.

Welcome to the Oasis. Any friend of Groucho's is a friend of mine.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."

moira finnie
Administrator

Postby moira finnie » April 20th, 2008, 7:59 am

Welcome duckthief!

I love Roman Holiday too. I'm not sure if the story told about fooling Audrey Hepburn about that bit of business Gregory Peck did with the Mouth of Truth was true, but her reaction is priceless.

Hey, wanna buy a duck? :wink:
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks

Ollie

Postby Ollie » April 20th, 2008, 9:18 am

I too remain somewhat skeptical but her reaction is either pure or deserves the Oscar for that scene alone. Peck had to practice a bit, I suspect, because I, like generations since then, couldn't quite imitate the move on First Try.

theduckthief

Postby theduckthief » April 20th, 2008, 10:18 am

Thanks for the welcome.

moirafinnie wrote:I'm not sure if the story told about fooling Audrey Hepburn about that bit of business Gregory Peck did with the Mouth of Truth was true, but her reaction is priceless.

Well it was included in the "Remembering Roman Holiday" Documentary on the Special Collectors Edition DVD.
I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members - Groucho

Return to “The Essentials”