ChiO

Re: Essential Romance

Post by ChiO »

My Top 5 Essential Romance scenes.

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

Unfortunately, the scene is at 2:50, is abbreviated & without the original soundtrack.
[youtube][/youtube]
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

just found this on Moira's new thread in Games....THIS is romance!!!!!

Nathaniel/Hawkeye- Last of the Mohicans:

"No, you submit, do you hear? You be strong, you survive... You stay alive, no matter what occurs! I will find you. No matter how long it takes, no matter how far, I will find you."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

[youtube][/youtube]
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

From Knight Without Armour
[youtube][/youtube]
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Good choices from everyone, some good clips, thanks, I will learn how to embed my own, honest.

There's sequences in The Kid Brother and Girl Shy with Harold Lloyd and Jobyna Ralston that express romance perfectly. There's a scene in My Best Best Girl between Mary Pickford and Buddy Rogers were they are sat in crate that's romantic.

I love The Quiet Man, John Wayne is so not my type of guy but the film is s perfect he easily could be. Maureen O'Hara is my kind of woman. I love that scene in A Matter of Life and Death.Waterloo Bridge with Vivien Leigh and Robert Taylor, sigh.

There's two kinds of romantic films that I really like, the one of soulmates, two people madly in love with everything about one another whether they end up together or not and films were the couple are poles apart but discover one another, the first one is usually the more 'romantic' the second more hidden passion.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I was going to add these later, but since Nancy and Alison both mentioned them:

Waterloo Bridge:
[youtube][/youtube]

Last of the Mohicans:
[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Driving home from work, I thought about a really romantic movie, and this is it. The best of the best is at 1:02...

[youtube][/youtube]
charliechaplinfan

Two films mentioned that I've always wanted to watch but never seen, A Walk in the Clouds and The Killer of Sheep both available to rent. Vivacious Lady isn't although it gives it a great review detailing the on screen romance between James Stewart and Ginger Rogers, passion that is meant to translate well on to the screen, but no chance to rent it. Darn it.

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg and Un Homme Et Une Femme get my vote too.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Below is a scene from Vertigo (1957) with Scotty (James Stewart) recreating the woman he has lost through another woman who allows herself to be transformed, if that is what it takes to be loved. Would this Hitchcock movie be half as effective without the elements contributed by these actors, Robert Burks' cinematography, Farciot Edouart's photographic effects, and perhaps most of all, Bernard Herrmann's ability to bring it all to a crescendo (with an aural nod to Wagner's liebestod for Tristan and Isolde)? :
[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

Vertigo is a unique movie, it's a while since I've see it, I think it's James Stewart's darkest role (I haven't seen his Anthony Mann roles, I tend to see Stewart as the Harvey/George Bailey type) and romance, yes I think it is in an obsessive way.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I think even with the Mann films, this is still Stewart's darkest performance. I'm not sure it qualifies as romance, though it is a "love" story.
charliechaplinfan

I suppose it depends on how we interpret romance.

I managed to rent Killer of Sheep, ChiO. An interesting film, I'll review it on the watched thread. It's good, I like to watch films every now and again that I wouldn't normally seek out. I like the scene you highlighted. I was worried that a sheep was going to get slaughtered on the screen, that's how realistic I found it.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Mr. Ark did his usual marvelous job on KILLER OF SHEEP at http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... eep#p19195

It is one of those films that I can never see too often.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles