Born Yesterday

mrsl

Born Yesterday

Post by mrsl »

Did Carrie Fisher really say this movie had never been re-made?

Of course the remake was nothing at all to even think about, although I do like Melanie Griffith, but not Don what's his name so much. Nothing and nobody can top Judy Holiday in this movie.

No matter how often I see that card playing scene, with her humming, and filling in all of her own sound effects, it cracks me up every time.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

The card scene is one of my favorites too. I love the way she answers Crawford when he yells her name. "WWWHHHHAAAATTTT!"
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

I love this movie. She is positively brilliant - deserved the Oscar.
My wife said she'd help young people, ... That's what I'd do. Help young people, then buy a big motor home and get out of town.
~ Gary Cooper
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I love Judy Holiday in this movie but to me she's just as good in It Should Happen to You. The storyline is just so ahead of it's time. You could easily imagine someone like that today. OK, it's called reality TV but the movie has something very sweet and innocent about it.
rainingviolets21

Post by rainingviolets21 »

I loved the screech voiced character Judy Holiday perfected and played to perfection. She runs the gamut of emotions from high comedy - the Gin-Rummy scene, to battered woman , the slap from Crawford and gives a superb well rounded performance, so she won the Oscar over Davis,
Baxter and Swanson, I'm not surprised --she was superb~
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

I only know four of Judy's films - ADAM'S RIB is one of her first credits - not a bad way to start. YESTERDAY and IT SHOULD HAPPEN are great roles for her - the Melanie Griffith replacement never comes close to Judy's performance, but neither does anyone else or the whole new film. And while PFFFT isn't a favorite film, it proves that Judy and Jack Lemmon can succeed even without the best of films.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

The Solid Gold Cadillac is a fun film that is very underplayed. George Burns does the narration. Also a nice turn from Paul Douglas.

It's played TCM but not for a while.
Chris

Ollie

Post by Ollie »

Thanks. I'll watch for it. I hadn't even read about it - Paul Douglas has been creeping up on my favorite-supporting-actor lists for a decade now. I'm just sorry that I didn't notice him in more films.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Ollie:

Have you heard of Bells are Ringing, with Dean Martin? That's a cute comedy with music, not a lot but I think you'll recognize the songs.

Anne
Anne

Ollie

Post by Ollie »

No, I'm not familiar with BELLS ARE RINGING. It's got Fred Clark again, Jean Stapleton, and Frank Gorshin should be recovered from his 1957 INVASION OF THE SAUCER MEN and PORTLAND EXPOSE. That's probably about the height of Dean Martin's film career, too. While I'm never a fan of musicals, Judy, Fred, Frank and Jean are enough to get this on my list of "To See's".

Thanks for the tip. I'd have never thought twice about it otherwise.
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

Oh lordy... I've got SOLID GOLD CADILLAC sitting on my shelves, never seen, never opened. No wonder wifey-poo yells out, "Du-uh" in my general direction sometimes.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Well Ollie:

I'm right there, behind your wife - DUH!!!!

How can you let a Judy Holliday film gather dust?

For Shame!!!!

Anne
Anne

Ollie

Post by Ollie »

Oh now, don't take her side! She's a horrible cruel person that probably ordered this and received it in, and put in on the shelf months ago, intentionally waiting for this thread to be born, JUST to pounce later and make me feel stupid.

(She yells at me.)

Ok, Ok... MORE stupid...

Gee, thanks. Don't take her side. She really doesn't need it!

She always reminds me of the Woody Allen joke about being married to a very immature woman: "She walks right into the bathroom, without knocking, comes right over to my bathtub and sinks all my ships. She's SO immature!"

And that's my wifey-poo. I've got all those soap islands built, all the ships in proper battle order, and she sinks them - not even in the right order, too!

She's SO immature.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

If she is going to go to all that trouble the least she could do would be sink them in the proper order. Some people are so mean.

How long have you been married?
Chris

rainingviolets21

Post by rainingviolets21 »

Bells Are Ringing is my second favorite Judy Holliday flick, and the musical numbers are just fine, The Party's Over and Drop That Name are so well done, plus Judy's genius timing when she shrieks about The RACES are perfection and side - splitting funny...