WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
RedRiver

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by RedRiver »

Throw in Efrem Zimbalist, Jr, William Schallert and Mr. Drysdale and you have a well-rounded cast!
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

This afternoon I watched It's a Pleasure, a Sonja Henie skating vehicle. Like the Esther Williams swimming movies, it's really just a thin plot designed to allow us to watch Henie twirl on the ice in big productions. Sadly, unlike the Williams spectacles, there's no Busby Berkeley along for the ride to spice it up. Other than the last number, it's pretty uninspired, and the plot/acting rather thin. Still, I always enjoy an afternoon "old movie", and it was just the sort of thing I was in the mood for, so I enjoyed it. I think there are other Henie films on Netflix that might serve her better, and I liked it enough to check those out.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Howard Hawks' riotous MONKEY BUSINESS was on PBS last night. Exceptionally clever. I love when a silly comedy turns tender and heartfelt. "The secret of youth is not in a formula or a laboratory experiment. It's in music and dancing. Enjoying the things you have, and the people you share them with. You're only old when you forget you're young. By the way, what time are our dinner reservations?"

Cary Grant could do virtually anything. Here's the most sophisticated actor of all time, covered with paint, dressed like an Indian and falling down a laundry chute! My mother used to say the fact that it's Cary Grant doing these things makes it that much funnier. This is not Hawks' greatest comedy. In a way, that makes me admire the film even more. It could almost be considered "2nd level Hawks." Yet it's still hilarious, witty and Shakespearean in its use of the double entendre.

Ginger Rogers bubbles with energy as the wife of the hapless scientist. Mr. Charles Coburn and the up and coming Marilyn Monroe provide charming support. Hugh Marlowe endures humiliating torment by Chief Red Eagle and his young braves. If anybody can steal the focus from Cary Grant, it's the rascally neighborhood boys who form his "tribe." This may well be the funniest use of children in movies since W. C. Fields!

MONKEY BUSINESS is not one of the great American movies. But it is a very funny adventure by one of our finest comic filmmakers.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Barbara Stanwyck is a ball of fire. She won’t ever cry wolf because she is as straight-shootin’ as Annie Oakley. If a man with a cloak gets sick, why Stanwyck will play night nurse for him. But don’t get her wrong. There won’t be anything illicit about it. If he wants to please a lady, he just has to be patient for that breakfast-for-two with Stanwyck. If she is to meet John Doe, he’ll have to pass muster with her gay sisters. But that should be easy as long as you don’t treat Stanwyck like a lady of burlesque. And if you move a little too fast with her and she gives you that withering Stanwyck glare, have no fear. There’s always tomorrow.

Well guys...I tried. :roll: Here's today's schedule on TCM:

6:00 AM - ILLICIT (1931) - Young free-thinkers turn conventionally jealous when they marry. Dir: Archie Mayo. Cast:  Barbara Stanwyck, James Rennie, Charles Butterworth. BW-79 mins.

7:30 AM - STELLA DALLAS (1937) - After divorcing a society man, a small-town woman tries to build a better life for their daughter. Dir: King Vidor. Cast:  Barbara Stanwyck, John Boles, Anne Shirley. BW-106 mins.

9:30 AM - BREAKFAST FOR TWO (1937) - A Texas heiress competes with a gold digger for the love of a playboy. Dir: Alfred Santell. Cast:  Barbara Stanwyck, Herbert Marshall, Glenda Farrell. BW-68 mins.

10:45 AM - THE GAY SISTERS (1942) - A New York aristocrat marries for the money to save the family mansion. Dir: Irving Rapper. Cast:  Barbara Stanwyck, George Brent, Geraldine Fitzgerald. BW-110 mins.

12:45 PM - LADY OF BURLESQUE (1943) - A star dancer and comedian team to investigate murders. Dir: William A. Wellman. Cast:  Barbara Stanwyck, Michael O'Shea, Iris Adrian. BW-90 mins.

2:30 PM - THE TWO MRS. CARROLLS (1947) - A woman slowly discovers that her artist husband is a deranged killer. Dir: Peter Godfrey. Cast:  Humphrey Bogart, Barbara Stanwyck, Alexis Smith. BW-99 mins.

4:15 PM - CRY WOLF (1947) - A woman uncovers deadly secrets when she visits her late husband's family. Dir: Peter Godfrey. Cast:  Errol Flynn, Barbara Stanwyck, Geraldine Brooks. BW-84 mins.

5:45 PM - MEET JOHN DOE (1941) - A reporter's fraudulent story turns a tramp into a national hero and makes him a pawn of big business. Dir: Frank Capra. Cast:  Gary Cooper, Barbara Stanwyck, Edward Arnold. BW-123 mins.

8:00 PM - BALL OF FIRE (1942) - A group of professors takes in a nightclub singer hiding from the law to protect her gangster boyfriend.
Dir: Howard Hawks .Cast:  Gary Cooper, Barbara Stanwyck, Oscar Homolka. BW-112 mins.

10:00 PM - NIGHT NURSE (1931) - A nurse discovers that the children she's caring for are murder targets. Dir: William A. Wellman. Cast:  Barbara Stanwyck, Ben Lyon, Joan Blondell. BW-72 mins.

11:30 PM - THERE'S ALWAYS TOMORROW (1956) - When a toy manufacturer feels ignored and unappreciated by his wife and children, he begins to fall in love with a former employee. Dir: Douglas Sirk Cast:  Barbara Stanwyck, Fred MacMurray, Joan Bennett. BW-84 mins. Letterbox Format.

1:00 AM - THE MAN WITH A CLOAK (1951) - A mystery man tries to help a young innocent escape a murderous housekeeper. Dir: Fletcher Markle. Cast:  Joseph Cotten, Barbara Stanwyck, Louis Calhern. BW-81 mins.

2:30 AM - TO PLEASE A LADY (1950) - A ruthless race-car driver falls for a crusading journalist out to clean up the sport. Dir: Clarence Brown. Cast:  Clark Gable, Barbara Stanwyck, Adolphe Menjou. BW-92 mins.

4:15 AM - ANNIE OAKLEY (1935) - The famed female sharpshooter learns that you can't get a man with a gun when she falls for a rival marksman.
Dir: George Stevens. Cast:  Barbara Stanwyck, Preston Foster, Melvyn Douglas. BW-90 mins.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I watched "Detective Story" for the first time in a long time. Kirk Douglas really has a temper. Some really good performances are found here. Douglas is terrific as he runs the gamut from showing off his sense of humor to having his life come apart. Joseph Wiseman as a criminal waiting to be processed is particularly disturbing. Eleanor Parker is also quite moving as she comes to grips with her past.

This one is all about performances. It is based on a stage play and it really doesn't leave the setting but it allows you to really concentrate on the story and the performances.

The ending might be a bit contrived but that's a small complaint.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

This just might be the best filmed play I've ever seen. That it doesn't pretend to be anything else is an asset.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Cinemaven, thanks for the big valley of Ms. Stanwyck's credits!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

RED!! :roll:

I enjoyed "THE DETECTIVE STORY" very much. Douglas' rigidity destroys his life. I loved Eleanor Parker in this. What a gem of an actress she is. And how uplifting, as a woman, that she decides that she would NOT stay in a toxic relationship with her husband to allow him to shame and torture her. Good character actors all around. William Bendix deserved a Best Supporting Actor nod. He's a diamond in the rough.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Lucky Vassall

Post by Lucky Vassall »

Agree that Detective Story is a prime example of how to turn a play into film.

My favorite story about the play/film comes from George Voskovec, who was appearing in The Chalk Garden in Ogunquit when I was doing a season of Summer Stock some 60 years ago. He told us that he had been up for a part in the Broadway production. They said they really liked what he did with it, but unfortunately he was too short to play opposite Ralph Bellamy.

When he tried out for the film, he was told he was too tall for Kirt Douglas!
[size=85]AVATAR: Billy DeWolfe as Mrs. Murgatroid, “Blue Skies” (1946)

[b]“My ancestors came over on the Mayflower.”
“You’re lucky. Now they have immigration laws."[/b]
[i]Mae West, The Heat’s On” (1943[/i])

[b]:–)—[/b]
Pinoc-U-no(se)[/size]
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Love seeing the young Dr. No as a hopped up burglar! I guess he was just starting on his criminal empire!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

The only two movies that I seen on the 2nd of Saturday of this Month are ... both on TCM.

I enjoyed them both immensely.

55 DAYS AT PEKING (1963)

An American major leads the defense against Chinese revolutionaries in 1900 Peking.
Dir: Nicholas Ray Cast: Charlton Heston , Ava Gardner , David Niven.

GUNS OF NAVARONE, THE (1961)

A team of Allied saboteurs fight their way behind enemy lines to destroy a pair of Nazi guns.
Dir: J. Lee Thompson Cast: Gregory Peck , David Niven , Anthony Quinn.

Planning on watching Libeled Lady tomorrow, and that's a blockbuster lineup of William Powell, Myrna Loy, Jean Harlow, and Spencer Tracy before I attend the wedding. Looking forward seeing it then.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

LIBELED LADY is cute. Not one of my favorite comedies ever, but pretty good.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u][color=#FF0000]RedRiver[/color][/u] wrote:LIBELED LADY is cute. Not one of my favorite comedies ever, but pretty good.

WHAT?! You're a mad hatter. You're crazy as a loon. Pretty good? My lad, it is funny. ( Not that extended fly fishing scene ) but the whole premise. I thought Harlow was great, and Powell & Tracy's chemistry was tops. Loy's good too. ( I've already gushed about my new love, Walter Connolly. ) I'll take this one, "Bombshell" and "The Awful Truth" on a desert island. What are some of your favorite comedies? What would you take on a desert island...besides Sugar?