WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
RedRiver

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by RedRiver »

I respect Cassavetes work, as I respect your opinion, Chio. The man films real people, in real environments. A much needed switch from mainstream movies. But HUSBANDS is so much "in the head." Thinking, stewing, plodding and analyzing. OPENING NIGHT is different. I'll give it that much. What the point of it is, I can't say. I'm not sure why he would want to tell that story. Someday, I'll watch FACES and SHADOWS. I meant to watch them a few months ago. But after a Cassavetes weekend, I felt I had earned a break!
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

Anna And The King Of Siam (1946)

I revisited this movie last night. I recall that the first time I saw this I wondered, “When is it going to end”. That part has not changed. Although the movie won a number of awards I never thought much of it.

It has been a long a standing joke that I cry at movies, in fact my wife would tease me about it, and my children would be dumbfounded.

Of course this is not a sad movie, but I cried when Tuptim (Linda Darnell) was executed. I have read that this was a difficult scene for her to play because she was afraid of fire, and knowing how she ultimately died, I could not help myself.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I have simply never seen this movie. Not sure why. I watched the new PARKLAND, the story of JFK's assassination and the chaos that follows it. I was enthralled from the opening shot. No pulled punches. It's solid, intense filmmaking. If anything, I could have used a little more story. Kennedy is shot. Oswald is arrested. Oswald is shot. And? Why not a little drama between characters? But I can't complain about a movie that's fascinating, heart-breaking and thought-provoking.

Did this thing go straight to video? How did it come out so fast?
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

The Story of GI Joe - 1945 Film

William Wellman's classic War Film starring Burgess Meredith and Robert Mitchum - Story about Ernie Pyle War (Played by Meredith) Correspondent Career that resulted a Pulitzer Prize (in 1944) for reporting was brilliant in every way shape or form.

I get goosebumps every time I see this film and the chemistry between Meredith and Mitchum is incredible and I alone stand in the realism of this war movie every time I see this. Everyone that acted in this film was real it can be.

And, a favorite of mine for years.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Where Eagles Dare 1968 Film - Starring Burton and Eastwood for the 2nd time in the past year and I learned something new about this movie its took Writer/Screenplay Alistair MacLean six weeks from start to finish to get this movie off the ground. Great Movie and loads of Action and Drama too.

Burton and Eastwood wanted to do their own stunts in this movie and the Studio at the time its went to production told them not to. So, they had stunt doubles in this movie and rightly so. Burton is still a major star and Eastwood is rising ... and the Studio do not want them to get injured during the film.

It was on the MILITARY CHANNEL today and I just wanted to let you all know that.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

To Rome With Love.

I used to like Woody Allen.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ouch.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I am going to try "Midnight In Paris."
Chris

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I like both these films. Neither is superb. This is basically "second tier Woody." But they're quirky and unpredictable. Good enough. I was just glad to see him appear in "To Rome." He may be getting old. But nobody does Woody Allen like Woody Allen!

I watched Brian DePalma's PASSION. You know what? I have no complaints. It's typical DePalma. What's real vs. what's a dream. The director has reached a stage where he's imitating himself. But the story is intriguing. The characters diabolical. At his best, DePalma handles suspense well. (The problem is, he knows this!) I won't be raving about this thriller in ten years. But it's well worth the $1.20 I paid into Red Box!

I'm not 100% sure I got the surprise ending. It all made sense. I was satisfied. But it's presented as if we're supposed to say, "Holy ****! I didn't see that coming." I didn't exactly say that.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

The Story of G.I.Joe:

I must have been on the same wave length as Rita Haworth earlier this week when both of us were watching this movie. I agree it was a terrific movie both for war movie fans and people who just like a good dramatic movie. Naturally I was not fond of the final climax but have to quote Red when he said "I get goosebumps every time I see this film and the chemistry between Meredith and Mitchum is incredible and I alone stand in the realism of this war movie every time I see this. Everyone that acted in this film was real it can be. " This film increased and displayed my belief that you don't have to see all the blood and guts to feel and understand the uselessness and sadness of war. The acting was phenomenal especially between the men of the company. It felt like you were a fly on the wall watching a bunch of guys who had been friends and together for a long time. Definitely worth catching next time it's on.

Like Red River a while ago, I finally saw Lincoln this morning and agree that it was quite a movie although a bit slow and definitely too much dialog. It reminded me of these cartoons where the characters don't move their bodies at all - only their mouths move, like the Peanuts T.V. shows. I didn't catch the name of the makeup crew, but I hope they got at least a few awards for their work in this movie. Everyone was magnificent. I saw James Spader listed but never saw him at all, his makeup must have been really good. Also, Bruce McGill was in it and all through the movie, I tried to remember who he was, and it wasn't until I saw his name that I finally connected him with Vince Korsak from Rizzoli and Isles. So, if you plan to watch it on your T.V. (it's playing on TMC right now), you have to be in a serious mindset to enjoy it fully, because it is full of references to peoples rights and natural liberties. If all it says is true, Lincoln, the man, has gone up one more step in my estimation.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I quite agree that "The Story of G.I. Joe" is a very impressive film. I remember the ending to be quite poignant.

I watched "This Is My Affair" with Barbara Stanwyck and Robert Taylor. (A premarriage flick.) Where Taylor plays a Navy officer appointed directly by President McKinley to infiltrate a gang of bank robbers that seem to be getting some help from a high official. Along the way he meets and falls in love with Stanwyck. His love for her almost compromises the mission as he works to complete what McKinley has assigned. (Why the President would be involved in a series of bank robberies is best left aside.)

As drama I thought it only fair. The idea is better than the execution of it. It is on several occasions slowed down by Stanwyck's character, a singer, does a song. (It seems to be her singing and it is no great shakes.) Victor McLaglen and Brian Donlevy also star but even though they play a decent size role there isn't really a lot going on. Frankly, the drama doesn't really pick up steam until the last 20 minutes or so.

Performances of note are Sidney Blackmer as Roosevelt and Frank Conroy as McKinley.
Chris

Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Thank you Anne and Chris about your support about my write up of The Story of G.I. Joe starring Burgess Meredith and Robert Mitchum. :)
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That's interesting Chris... any movie in which Victor McLaglen and Brian Donlevy don't shine has some issues. :D It still sounds interesting, even if Stanwyck and the supporting cast don't have a lot to do.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I'm not familiar with THIS IS MY AFFAIR, but I enjoy stories that feature historical characters, however far-fetched. President McKinley doesn't turn up in a lot of Hollywood films!