MARTY'S ode to HITCH

Chit-chat, current events
MissGoddess

MARTY'S ode to HITCH

Post by MissGoddess »

It may only be a commercial and the "MacGuffin" a Spanish wine, but this clever homage to Alfred Hitchcock by Martin Scorcese is very entertaining. (My Spanish is too faulty to follow what the director is saying but I'll have my friend translate. He doesn't speak much so it doesn't interfere with your enjoyment---just be sure to watch it 'till the end.)

http://tinyurl.com/2lqc2m
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Miss Goddess:

Magnificent!!! What did I miss?

The Man Who Knew Too Much
North By Northwest
The Birds
Rear Window
It Takes a Thief

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

You caught more than I---I didn't notice a To Catch a Thief reference. Someone else had mentioned Psycho I believe.
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

Excellent! - but a 6 minute commercial?! I also caught bits of Dial M for Murder and Saboteur. Last week's guest programer, Thelma Schoonmaker, appears here with Marty.

Maybe we can ask site member feaito/Fernando to translate?
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Just before the end, the blue background when Simon is about to kiss the girl, that is directly from To Catch a Thief. (It's not N x NW). I guess the key laying on the floor is reminiscent of Dial M, but I didn't see anything pertaining to Psycho, and I've never seen Saboteur so I wouldn't know about that at all.

My question is, what the heck is Simon doing in a commercial? I think he's one of the cutest things to come along in a long time.

Anne
Anne

jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I see The 39 Steps and Suspicion (action in a theater and the tracking shot of Marty through the window). Also, maybe Notorious - the bottle? I thought the shot from the back of the blonde woman was a reference to North By Northwest - Eva Marie Saint at the auction (was it an auction?) with James Mason beside her?

What did you make of the very prominent shot of the man with the hat admiring the cork as he walked toward the lovers at the end?

If this isn't shown from now on to every film student in the world, it would be a crying shame.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I just watched it again, and noticed that not only is the hero dressed like Cary Grant in NBNW, he also uses a handkerchief to turn the lightbulb that is monogrammed 'ROT,' as in Roger O. Thornhill, Grant's character in NBNW.
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

Yeah, the guy falling is from "Saboteur", I also think the references of the key and bottle (top secret) are from "Notorious". Not only is the hero dressed like Cary Grant, the blonde is wearing a red print dress just like Eva Marie Saint's in NBNW. The part where the violin player garrots the guy with his bow, and the guy reaches behind to grab the broken light bulb and stabs his assailant is from "Dial M for Murder".
Last edited by Jezebel38 on December 1st, 2007, 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

This is fantastic. Judith, I see the 39 Steps now. A guy fell from an opera balcony in The Man Who Knew Too Much also. Second time I watched I got the bottle from Notorious, and the blonde looking behind her back is from both the auction and the house near Mt Rushmore, in NxNW, when he threw the matchbook down. Good goin' with the Dial M, Jezebel!

You're right about 6 minutes being long for a wine commercial, but on the other hand, in ONLY 6 minutes, Scorcese paid tribute to at least 10 of Hitchcocks most famous movies. THAT is quite a feat!

Anne
Anne