Are you the only classic movie buff in your family?

Chit-chat, current events
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

She also likes Judy Garland and she watched Fred and Ginger dancing this weekend.

My parents periodically borrow my movies and then tell me how awful they were. I lent them It's A Wonderful Life and The Great Dictator and they didn't like either :oops: :oops: I hang my head in shame. Who doesn't like It's a Wonderful Life even my husband likes it.

Before that it was Vertigo and A Star is Born 1954. They were too long. James Stewart is too dull and they don't like James Mason.

Oh dear.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

charliechaplinfan wrote:Who doesn't like It's a Wonderful Life even my husband likes it.
Me -- me. Well, it's not that I don't like it, it's just that I'm sick of it. In this country it has been broadcast so many times over the last 25-30 years or so that's it's become a cliche. I can't bear the thought of looking at it any more, even though I think that H.B. Warner's performance is one of the best things ever done onscreen. I have taken a self-imposed hiatus from IAWL viewing for at least another five years. I suppose there is such a thing as too much of a good thing.
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

charliechaplinfan wrote:
Before that it was Vertigo and A Star is Born 1954. They were too long. James Stewart is too dull and they don't like James Mason.

Oh dear.
You're in England right? If you don't have it you should buy Firecreek. It's a great underrated western with James Stewart. If your parents don't like that then well....There's no hope.
EleanorPowellFan

Only Classic Movie Buff

Post by EleanorPowellFan »

I seem to be the only Classic Movie Buff in my family though if it wasn't for my dear mum and sister who introduced me to them, I would'nt be here. Classic Movies is really something you have to adore from a young age it's with you your entire life.
charliechaplinfan

Bogie, there is no hope.

They won't watch musicals. Mum likes Bette Davis, full stop. Dad likes James Cagney. Mum hates James Cagney. Dad likes The Quiet Man, Mum hates it. They went to Ireland and the coach stopped in town it was filmed in. They sat on a wall and never looked around. I went last year and walked my family over every inch of it, it is an absolutely gorgeous place.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

After re-reading some of the posts in this thread, I'm reminded of how I started my movie collection. Over 25 years ago, while Mom and Dad, and Mr. L. were all still alive, and Mr. L and I were both working and raking in plenty of money, we bought a VCR for ourselves and gave one to Mom and Dad for Christmas. Since we had ALL the movie channels offered by our cable company, I used to tape movies and bring them over for the folks to watch since they didn't know one actor from another. I was pretty careful what I taped for them because I knew Mom would not like the bad language or the sex, but even when I gave them Die Hard she liked it and said the language didn't bother her because of what was going on in the movie. My mom wouldn't say the 'f' word if you paid her and she was starving.

One time though, I added an old B&W classic on and she said they liked the first two movies but they had already seen the last one so didn't watch it. I asked when they saw it, and it was when it showed in the theater. I said "Mom, how can you remember a movie from 50 years ago, when you saw all of them in the theater?" She said "I don't remember it, but I do know we saw it, so why watch it again?" I was dumbfounded. I, who will re-watch 100 times if I like it, cannot understand someone who feels one viewing is always sufficient. Early this a.m. I watched Laura for maybe the 50th time and realized for the first time, often Dana Andrews purposely pulled that little game out of his pocket, with a smirk on his face, just because he knew it irritated Clifton Webb. It never dawned on me he wanted to raise Webb's blood pressure, and I laughed at the scenes. Unfortunately, few of todays films have that drawing power to make me want to re-watch, but every now and then I run across one.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
charliechaplinfan

mrsl, this is another problem with my mother, she will not watch any film she has watched before. Often she can't remember what she's seen so they borrow five films and have seen three. :roll:

Mum could never watch a film again. She's never had the feeling when she's watched a film that she would just like to see it all over again.
I used to think it was just me who rented videos from the store and watched the good ones twice.I have so many films I could watch again and again and never get bored :D.

My mother in law is better, she at least likes musicals.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Charliechaplinfan:

Since you are relatively new to this board, as well as several others, I find myself repeating certain things lately and probably boring other people, but for the sake of discussion and/or clarity, it is necessary. I have approximately 75 videos with minimum 2 or 3 movies copied on each tape, of the roughly 200 movies, I have seen each one at least 2 or 3 times. I am now in the process of transferring from tape to disc so I'm re-discovering some of the older forgotten ones. Some movies I wouldn't venture a guess as to how many times I've seen it. Then there are the movies I wouldn't watch a first time because of something I've seen in the trailer or commercial for it. Following is a list of my uncountable number of viewings:

The Women
Westward the Women
The Hunt for Red October
The Enemy Below (just purchased the other day on DVD)
Cheyenne Autumn
Two Rode Together
Most of the 50's musicals like Oklahoma, and Flower Drum Song
El Dorado
People Will Talk
Penny Serenade
Kitty Foyle
Since You Went Away
White Cliffs of Dover
The Best Years of our Lives
and many more. . . . .

As you see my tastes run to all sorts of movies - I like love stories, war, cowboy, mystery, musicals, etc. I really can't pick a favorite genre because I have a favorite in every genre. I also love holiday movies, like Christmas (White Christmas), St. Patricks (all the one shown yesterday), and family generational movies. I do have my stop points like horror and bloody gore movies, but other than those, I'm fairly liberal.

What about you?

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
David

Post by David »

I'm certainly the only classic music buff in my family by which I mean I'm the only one who like 1920s and 30s music. So as 1930s musicals which I do like contain much of this music I suppose I am the only classic movie buff except I would hardly call myself a buff, more an appreciator.
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

Hmm I tend to watch movies only once...Now once in a while i'll watch a movie more then once (SHANE being the one i've seen the most often and any Bogart movie I haven't seen in a 6 month span)
charliechaplinfan

My favorite genres are silent comedies, musicals, dramas. I love film from inception until 1960. There's quite a lot of films I like after this time. I don't like gore or horror films. I don't like unnecessary violence.

Some of the films I've watched more than a few times

MOST MUSICALS ESPECIALLY FRED AND GINGER AND GENE KELLY FILMS

CITY LIGHTS
THE KID
THE GOLD RUSH
THE CIRCUS
MODERN TIMES
MONSIEUR VERDOUX
CHAPLIN MUTUAL SHORTS
THE PHILADELPHIA STORY
BRINGING UP BABY
NOTORIOUS
REAR WINDOW
NORTH BY NORTHWEST
THE GHOST AND MRS MUIR
REBECCA
CASABLANCA
THE FLESH AND THE DEVIL
THE GENERAL
STEAMBOAT BILL JNR
OUR HOSPITALITY
SEVEN CHANCES
ROMAN HOLIDAY
BREAKFAST AT TIFFANYS
SOME LIKE IT HOT

Since the advent of DVD rentals services I've managed to view many more films. Many that I've subsequently bought and will be viewed a few times each. I've discovered a love of silent movies and certain directors. II've also developed a big love of foriegn films particularly French, Italian and Japanese.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

charliechaplinfan said:
I've also developed a big love of foreign films particularly French, Italian and Japanese.
One of the many trivial matters that occupies my diminishing brain cells: Do folks outside of the U.S. refer to U.S. movies as "foreign films"?
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
EleanorPowellFan

Do Folks outside the US refer to US movies as 'foreign films

Post by EleanorPowellFan »

That is one FUNNY question!!! :lol: