TCM City appears to be closed

Chit-chat, current events
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Lzcutter wrote:Okay,

I must have have missed it. Can someone tell me what Larry and his cousin found? I can't find the thread over in TCM City and my curiosity is peaked.
I am curious as well.
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

Lzcutter wrote:Okay,

I must have have missed it. Can someone tell me what Larry and his cousin found? I can't find the thread over in TCM City and my curiosity is peaked.
Argh Argh Argh.

I ignored this topic over there, and I want to ignore it here too, but I can't stand it.

Essentially Larry claimed that his cousin tracked down all the duals and forwarded the information on to TCM. The problem is that the only way that this could happen is if his cousin hacked into the TCM boards and gained unauthorized access.

The IP address is available only to TCMwebadmin. It's not available to the users. There's no information in a post that would allow you to track down the IP address.

This means that either Larry's cousin committed a crime and then told TCM he had done so, or that Larry is not being truthful. I lean towards the latter explanation, as anyone skillful enough to gain access to the boards that way had to know that this was info that TCM already had.

I'm not saying he did so maliciously. His purpose may have been to try to frighten that nutcase into leaving, but what Larry claims that his cousin did makes no sense.

While I'm going off about that discussion, IP address stands for Internet Protocol. It's essentially the address of your machine on the internet. ISP stands for Internet Service Provider, which means Comcast or Verizon or Earthlink, etc. All that ranting about tracking down the ISP of SWMNBN was just setting my teeth on edge.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Thanks for explaining that and the terms as well. I barely know how to use a computer much less understand the lingo.

It's kind of like driving in a big city I've never been to: I know how to basically get to the destination I'm headed, but if I make a wrong turn, I can get lost quite easily.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Lynn:

Did you receive my P/M? I sent one last night to you. Larry's geek cousin found 6 names using the ISP of she who shall remain nameless. He announced it in the General Issues forum, and P/M'd the details to TCM. It was shortly after that when the deleting started in earnest. 'She' also appears to be off site. I P/M'd because I wanted to respect the opinions that 'she' should not be discussed, but I know curiosity just gets worse as time goes by with no answers.

Anne
sandykaypax

vecchiolarry's post

Post by sandykaypax »

Yes, but if you read Larry's post, he says that his cousin found 6 posters on one ISP, but that "she" was not among them.

I personally am dying to know what these 6 screen names are, but we'll probably never know...

Sandy K
JulieMarch4th

Post by JulieMarch4th »

I also watched what was happning with the fascination of an oncoming train wreck.

Has anyone else noticed that all the posts with the name that Larry found are also gone?

Jon, I was also wondering about the ISP business -- wouldn't an ISP change if you're using a laptop in a Starbucks? Or while traveling? Thanks for making the ISP/IP distinction.

Julie