The Best Man
The Candidate
Three Days of the Condor
All the President's Men
The Parallax View
Nashville
Executive Action
Twilight's Last Gleaming

I'm sure there were more but those are the ones that come readily to mind.
Killer list, Lynn!
I was thinking that if we wanted to include the subgenre of "Government Conspiracy films", we could also tally such offbeat diamonds-in the-rough as The Manchurian Candidate, Winter Kill, Flashpoint, Capricorn One, Iron Cross, & Irving Wallace's The Man.

knitwit wrote:
> Wow, Klonnie, you make me dizzy just thinking about a schedule like that. I hope your kids realize now what you guys were doing then. I'm sure whatever success they find is sweeter because of how they were raised.[/i] <

You know, it's one of those funny things; I look back at those years of my kids growin' up, and all that helter-skelter going on, and all I can seem to focus on is all the bad domino-decisions I kept making and the fallout from it all, and all the day-to-day shortcomings, but I've actually found out by third-hand reportage that each of my kids (all twenty-something parents themselves now, all smart, brave, strong, busy, married individuals) claim that the greatest asset of their lives is the parents who raised them, and that without our sacrifices, and the examples we set, each of their individual lives would be miserable failures!
The first time I heard mention of that, I just would not believe it; but by the third or fourth time it was brought up to me, I had to give in & just accept it, flabbergasted though I still was.
:shock:
And still am!
:roll:
Best I can figure: credit the Mom - cause I weren't nothin' like Ward Cleaver to grow up around!
:?
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Klondike,

The Manchurian Candidate for sure. Capricorn One is another memorable one.

But I forgot one of my all time faves: Night Moves with Gene Hackman.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Lynn said: "But I forgot one of my all time faves: Night Moves with Gene Hackman."

Hi Lynn - NIGHT MOVES is also one of my favorite films from the 70s and possibly one of both director Arthur Penn's and star Gene Hackman's greatest accomplishments. But I'm not sure I understand the reference to its being a political film. Personal politics, maybe.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

There were other types of "political" films as well in the 60s: how about Medium Cool, and Z?
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Some more:

THE BATTLE OF ALGIERS
WILD IN THE STREETS ("You know/Nothing can change the shape of things/To come."
GETTING STRAIGHT (Okay, it was released in 1970, but that's close)

And my favorite political (real & sexual)/war (cold & hot) movie: DR. STRANGELOVE
Last edited by ChiO on February 15th, 2008, 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Klondike:

It's amazing how some of us work our hind ends off to feed, clothe, and put a roof over our kids heads, while others are too busy with other stuff. As a single mom to 4 kids, I often had 5 kids for dinner because a friend was over and his or her mom was down at the local watering hole until 8 or 9 o'clock. Those were the days when the police just thought of it as culture clash instead of child abuse.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

AP Style...

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

All The President's Men is one of my favorite journalists-get-the-goods stories, and the only other movies that have an equally great 1-2 going are The Front Page and His Girl Friday. (But I haven't seen all the films listed by Lynn yet...)

It ain't easy being a single mom with no child support.....
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Some great ones named.

Love Nashville, Battle of Algiers, Strangelove, Manchurian Candidate. Like Dewey I'm also a fan of Night Moves as well, although I haven't seen it as political (maybe a thread on this film is in order :wink: ).

Also like:

Weekend (1967)
The Shop on Main Street (1964)
Closely Watched Trains (1965)
Advice and Consent (1962)
One, Two, Three (1961)
Our Man in Havana (1960)