Are Asian women taking over in Golf

Chit-chat, current events
stuart.uk

Are Asian women taking over in Golf

Post by stuart.uk »

20-year-old South Korean Ji-Yai Shin won the British Womens Open in impressive style at Sunningdale golf club. For someone so young she showed great composure when the pressure was on. Most of the other contenders were from Asia.

47 year-old American Juli Inkster did threaten to do a Greg Norman and become the oldest ever winner of a major, but like the Aussie it wasn't to be.

One cause for concern was the lack of a British challenge. Former Champion Karen Stupples and Scotland's Catrina Matthew managed to get on the leaderboard, but only just. Karen and Catrina are the only Brit women in the world top 50.

It was sad to see Sweden's former world no 1 Annika Sorenstam bowed out from playing golf a 38. She doesn't seem to have the hunger that she once had, Annika's getting married and once to start a family, concentrating in work terms on her Annika Academy and golf course design. However, she hasn't used to word retired, so maybe in her early 40s she could come back, she'll still be young enough to win a Major again.

That reminds me of tennis star Justin Henin retiring in her mid-20s. I wouldn'd be surprised to see her back in her 30s, once the children have come.

Michelle Wie chose not to come, prefering to play in a mens tournament, where she failed to make the cut. I don't have a problem with Michelle or the other women competing against the men. I'd love to see one qualify for The Masters, The British Open and the other grand slams, doing themselves justice, but was Michelle right to withdraw from a Major in order to play with the men.