'Round the World Weather Report

Chit-chat, current events
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: 'Round the World Weather Report

Post by movieman1957 »

I never lost power Wendy but my brother and parents are without it. Our church didn't have any power either but we had services (all three) anyway. I played the piano and the singers and I rearranged some songs that we could do under the circumstances.

Some folks were getting their power back this morning but CA's Starbucks and most of that area that includes my parents are still out and there is no indication when the power will be back on.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Hearing about storms reminds me of this. Some regions are plagued with drought. Yet one torrential rain does little to relieve that. You need a little rain, with some consistency. Or something like that. I don't pretend expertise, but that's what I heard.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

From Emerald City

I lost Power three times in the past 24 hours and when I was posting my 4 pictures on my Rita Hayworth Thread ... and soon I finished it ... 2 minutes later I lost power and internet connections. Very Windy ... each of these power outages were from 40 minutes to 90 minutes long ... Very Breezy Day ... Partly Sunny and Unseasonably Cool.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

It has cooled down here in the Land of Ahhhhhs....only 96 right now! :shock: :shock:
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Chris, I'm so glad that you are alright. I was pretty worried when I saw the news about the Maryland region.

Family friends in central Ohio have not had power since the weekend and may face another week without electricity. One of these individuals who lives in a rural area there has at least 30 trees down on his property. The sound of chain saws is heard from morning till dark. Up here in NY near Lake Ontario it has been hot and in the 80s and 90s for a few days, but nothing like what the rest of the country (except for the Pacific Northwest, apparently) is going through. Family members in Colorado can see the glow of fires from their home, though no one has had to run yet, Thank God. Here's hoping for a spell of blessed rain soon.

File this under the Small Potatoes Dept./ Onward and Upward in Personal Grooming Division:
One of my biggest joys this summer has been the discovery of a shampoo that discourages frizzy hair, enabling me to go without my customary "Irish halo" when the humidity climbs along with the temperature. Not important, I know. Unless you normally can't get a comb through your hair for most of July and August.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

One of my biggest joys this summer has been the discovery of a shampoo that discourages frizzy hair
ooooooh, can you share the name? my hair gets so curly, and then frizzy, and it doesn't matter if it's long or short. I really hoped when I let it go gray :oops: :oops: it would relax....nope. I can blow dry till my head starts to sizzle, and walk outside....zing. :lol: :lol: :lol:
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Oh, sure, knitty.

Suave Professionals Keratin Infusion, Smoothing Shampoo and Conditioner

It was pretty cheap too, under $4 per bottle. The more times you use it the tamer it seems to become without feeling weighed down by product. I know that sounds like a stupid commercial, but it does seem to work, at least with my unruly mop.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Wow! you are a god send, Moira! I use the expensive Biolage stuff but I wlll be trying the Suave soon. I like to alternate hair care products anyway.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

me too!!!! thanks Moira (now go tend that Chinese -yum- barbeque!!!!) :lol: :lol:
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Thanks for the tip from another curly girl...it couldn't hurt!
103 here today, dry, and no letup in sight.
Fireworks cancelled all around here as well as in 20 other states!

We had a wonderful meal and good time with family, I hope the rest of you had a great 4th and are staying as cool as possible.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

We had lobsters, smoked chicken, ratatouille, tomato/bread salad (my specialty) and berry compote for dessert. It was hot, but we had a good time anyway. Lily the dog had a great time. She really liked the parade, mainly because of the little mini ponies she got to bark at and because all the kids came over to pet her and give her sticks to chew.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Birdy, it is so good to hear from you! I hope your DVD recorder issues are solved soon. Wendy, your Independence Day feast sounds great. Is it true that lobsters are cheaper this year? They have to be "imported" from the sea to my locale, so they are still prohibitively expensive in these parts. You all sound as though you're coping rather well with the weather. I just hope we get some rain soon.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Lobsters seem to have dropped to 4.99 instead of the usual 5.99, but I suspect that is not going to last for long. We're just lucky we can get them once or twice a year. These were very easy to peel, which was a treat, usually we get the ones with shells as hard as iron.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

My dog doesn't like fireworks. This is not her favorite holiday!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

JackFavell wrote:Lobsters seem to have dropped to 4.99 instead of the usual 5.99, but I suspect that is not going to last for long. We're just lucky we can get them once or twice a year. These were very easy to peel, which was a treat, usually we get the ones with shells as hard as iron.

Do you mean by the pound, or the whole price???? If it's the latter.....SHAZAM!!!! When I can I show up at your door????? :shock: :lol: :shock: