'Round the World Weather Report

Chit-chat, current events
Ollie

Re: 'Round the World Weather Report

Post by Ollie »

I want to hook Fernando up with a café tour, too! I've seen TV's eating in Santiago, and the one in Austin. The one in Austin was just absurd, stupid and uninspired - I hope it's because a few producer-turnips fell off the truck and rolled into the first signs they saw.

And Fernando's told me he had the same views on that show's Santiago endeavor. I'd LOVE to spend a couple of weeks being carted around to various 'native loves' for cafe lore.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Whoa!!!!!! I just looked up at the night sky, and there is a huge ring around an almost full moon. It looks like something from a really bad 50's horror movie. A beady little eye (moon) peering down from a hole in the sky. brrrrrrr.

according to our weather lady, it is a sign in this case, of bad weather on the way. There is a storm brewing out west that is due to hit south of KC area (whew!) and this ring is formed by high cirrus clouds that are full of ice crystals that deflect the moonlight. No matter what it is, it's EERIE.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Ollie wrote:I want to hook Fernando up with a café tour, too! I've seen TV's eating in Santiago, and the one in Austin. The one in Austin was just absurd, stupid and uninspired - I hope it's because a few producer-turnips fell off the truck and rolled into the first signs they saw.

And Fernando's told me he had the same views on that show's Santiago endeavor. I'd LOVE to spend a couple of weeks being carted around to various 'native loves' for cafe lore.
Hope to fulfill your expectations :wink:
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

If the predictions are close to right we, in the Baltimore area, are going to get creamed with snow tomorrow and Saturday. Worst case has us with 24 inches. If that turns out this will be the first winter since they started keeping records in 1883 with two 20+ inch snowstorms.* One weather website described the storm as potentially "paralyzing."

I guess I'll be hanging out with all of you for some time this weekend.

* Oh and they are calling for more on Tuesday.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

movieman1957 wrote:If the predictions are close to right we, in the Baltimore area, are going to get creamed with snow tomorrow and Saturday. Worst case has us with 24 inches. If that turns out this will be the first winter since they started keeping records in 1883 with two 20+ inch snowstorms.* One weather website described the storm as potentially "paralyzing."

I guess I'll be hanging out with all of you for some time this weekend.

* Oh and they are calling for more on Tuesday.
Isn't all this snow highly unusual for Baltimore? Do they have snow plows and salt trucks? You guys seem to be getting creamed about once a week this winter.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Can I interject two words?

* * * * * * * GLOBAL WARMING * * * * * * * *

.The joke that all of Washington thinks is a game.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Moira:

It is unusual compared to the last ten or so years. We can count on one big storm every few years. The last several years have seen little snow. (I think we went one year in the last five and didn't have any snow. That was more a temperature thing.) Of course, leave it to us to overkill things. We get the trucks out before it starts and they sit and wait. Schools are cancelled sometimes just based on a forecast. (This storm notwithstanding.) A local TV station used to have, and yet may still have, a BMT meter. This is the "Bread, Milk and Toilet Paper" reading for the number of people who think that it could be weeks before we see another person and have to get those things NOW.

Oh, I can't forget the media. There will be reporters stationed all around the area as if on a death watch waiting for the first flakes to fall. They will interrupt regular programming for updates or interviews with people who are walking in blizzard like conditions on the chance a McDonalds will be open. Tomorrow night they will pull out their rulers to see which are can claim the most snow. Yes, it is silly.

Then come those who think they can drive. They can't. The police will tell them to stay home but they take that as a challenge. They end up in a ditch.

Anne:

What global warming? I read global warming scientists now rank somewhere around lawyers and used car salesman on the "Trust-O-Meter."
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

I read global warming scientists now rank somewhere around lawyers...on the "Trust-O-Meter."
That high, eh? Global warming scientists should be flattered.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Aw, ChiO, he didn't mean YOU...... :D
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Then come those who think they can drive.
or walk.
don't try it.

We have the same ridiculous weather hype around here. the stations are named ater the weather =
"storm watcher 17" etc.
B
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

how are you doin', Ms.B? I hope you are getting rest and healing.
rohanaka

Post by rohanaka »

Hey Neighbor Nancy... have you looked out your window yet today?????????????? I thought we got RID of all that white gunk... It's baaaaaacckk!!! (ugh) Hopefully we will stop at a couple of inches.. so far it is just coming down quite nicely though... PS: Chris... sorry to hear you are in for it again TOO. (hopefully it will stop sooner than later for you as well)
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I didn't have to work today (JOY!) so I can look out the windows and not shudder. It is a picture perfect snow, wet, heavy, you can see the flakes coming down. As long as I don't have to be out in it, it's gorgeous.

Chris, hope you are stocked up and ready to settle down to great movies!!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Dang! I wish we were going to get some...it's supposed to move south of us. I know, I know, 2 feet is a bit much, but I do love being snowed in with movies and hot chocolate.....Congrats, on the day off, knitwit!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

lets' see...knitting and a great movie or 3....and where's that last Milky Way bar???

set!