'Round the World Weather Report

Chit-chat, current events
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: 'Round the World Weather Report

Post by movieman1957 »

I was a little taken aback when it was dark at 4:40 but I can't imagine having it get dark at 3:45. I think of my friend Carol in Canada and think how much earlier there. That would seem too early to fathom.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

We had two and a half solid days of rain (not consecutively, Sunday and Tuesday and part of today) and it was wonderful.

Hasn't rained like that here in at least a year, if not longer.

I'd be happy if it rained like that for another week but Mother Nature appears to being move. (Don't go, Mom! We're sorry, we'll clean our rooms, we promise!).

While optimists talk about the beginning of a rainy season (I am not one of them) and addled brained news anchors talk as if the drought got its butt kicked by this storm, the sad truth is that it would take a 150% of our average rainfall to recover from this long-term drought.

Two and half days of rain, while incredibly welcomed and loved, was just a drop in the bucket as they say in the movies.

Here's hoping there is more in our future so that realists like me will believe once more in miracles.

Till then, we do what we do best, we abide out here in the cadillac desert of the western U.S.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

A lot of snow is heading to the northeast US. We're expecting light snow starting late tonight and continuing through Monday; then heavier snow Monday night into blizzard conditions on Tuesday. By the time it's over NYC is supposed to receive about twenty inches. And we had been having such a nice, mild winter until now. . . . :(
Professional Tourist

Well, my office is closing early today, and my boss released me even earlier, at 1pm, so I could get home while it was just a light snow. Thank goodness I can work from home for the rest of today, and for tomorrow.

I hope all our members in the northeast are/will be home safe before the heavy snow begins. And good luck to us all that we don't lose power, phones, etc.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Hope all our friends who are caught in this storm are doing okay!

Know that we are thinking of you and hoping that everyone is safe, warm and dry!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Professional Tourist

Thanks, Lz. In my area we've fared pretty well. Although eastern Long Island and parts of Connecticut have received about two feet of snow, here in Manhattan we got about eight inches. A lot of us are home today, due to the travel ban and stoppage of public transport, and closing of schools for the day, but services are getting back online and we should all be back to work tomorrow. It'll still be messy out there for a while, though, as low temps will prevent this snow from melting.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Thanks for your updates - Professional Tourist! :)
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Below is the current view from my window. Yes, that is a pile of snow up to the second floor in the near distance. And it is currently -1. The good news? Only 33 days until Spring.

Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Incredible Photograph and I say this ... "A picture is worth a thousand words" ... Unbelievable!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Expecting about 8 inches in Kentucky. That's pretty deep for a little dog!
Masha

Post by Masha »

This is our toy:

The pick-up behind it has snow plow mounted on front. It was sent to clear drive and parking area. It is stuck.

It is forecast that this is approx. one-third of what we will receive before it ends.

It can not be seen in image but it continues to snow in big, fluffy flakes.

It is very fortunate that there is very nearly no wind.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Professional Tourist

When I left for work this morning it was four degrees. Four.

Snow tonight.
Professional Tourist

When I left the house this morning at 7:40am it was two degrees. Two.

In the ten or fifteen minutes it took me to hail a cab my hands froze, fingers completely numb, in spite of fleece gloves.

Thank goodness for the heated taxi, but it was so painful as my fingers thawed out. :cry: The fingertips are still numb, but I have hope for a full recovery. :)

On the bright side, we're supposed to reach forty degrees on Sunday. 8)

And spring is just a month away. :D
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

Minus 15 yesterday morning. Today it's snowing again, for the third time this week. We have over a foot of snow on the ground. Later on it's going up to 41 degrees, and going to rain a bit, before dropping to the teens again, meaning we will have a sheen of ice over our entire world later. I'm ready for spring!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Your report sounds like ours. Not quite as much snow but we are due for ice overnight. It was 9 yesterday. I don't even want to know what the wind chill was.

Spring can't come soon enough for me.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."