'Round the World Weather Report

Chit-chat, current events
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Sorry Folks:

As I type snow is falling about a foot a minute so watch out Northeast of Chicago. It's 9, yes nine degrees out there. For the first time I am glad of my birthday gift of two years ago from my daughter, an automatic car starter, as I sit in my warm living room I punch a button two times and my car starts, then after the snow is melted off, I punch the same button and it goes off. I knew this was coming, so I filled up on gas on Saturday when it was 48 degrees - that's Illinois weather!!!! Lord how I miss Las Vegas, but I can't leave my grandkids who weren't born when I headed out there.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Okay, shouldn't grumble but...I can't put my car in the garage due to kittens running around all over the place. They are all being adopted as of Saturday and and I can park my car inside and Daisy can quit fretting and go back to using her favorite cat as a pillow. (See: To Dream of Dogs).

I had a small party last night, luckily everyone made it home okay. Now if the weather will cooperate just long enough to let me finish shopping!

Hope all of you are staying warm.
B
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Just thought I would let everyone know that it is snowing in Las Vegas and it is sticking to the ground.

Tis a rare sight here in Sin City but a most welcome one as long I don't have to drive in it.

Oh, wait, I do later this afternoon.

Oh well, I'm determined to enjoy it!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

klondike

Post by klondike »

Okay, guys, here's some official stats on the evolving aftermath of last week's ice storm: a friend of mine in nearby Spofford, NH (17 miles south/southeast of BF, 3 miles due east of Interstate 91, population about 6,500) called me from their job yesterday to update me on their situation, namely: no power, no land line, no cable for past 5 days, likely no power or utilities until about new years, 3/4 of trees in century-old oak grove around their house damaged beyond survival.
Of course I stand ready to open my home to them . . but for the time being, they're just plain in shock over it.
And they're not alone; over 100,000 people across southern NH are expected to be in the dark for Xmas.
I'm striving to keep good thoughts on their behalf.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Lord how I miss Las Vegas

Anne,

Tonight in Las Vegas we are going to sleep under a blanket of snow. Interstate 15 is closed in both directions at Stateline. The airport is closed.
A snow day has been declared for tomorrow and school children of all ages are rejoicing in not having to go to school.

It is the most snowfall here in 30 years and the most I have seen here since 1973.

I'm glad I came to visit this week. It was rather magical and my idea of snow.

Nice to look at, a joy to behold and will likely be gone by tomorrow!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Lynn:

Be gone by tomorrow.
That's the thing I miss. On the coldest day in L.V. it's never as cold as here in Illinois which is what keeps the snow for weeks. There in Vegas the ground is warm because even in 'winter' the sun is generally beating down hourly, so the snow just melts in hours. Thank goodness for that because most of the people there don't really know how to drive in snow, it's pretty but dangerous. My son misses the family and is hoping to return here, but the one thing he dreads is the winter after eleven years in L.A.

Anne
Anne

Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Lots of wrecks, including a schoolbus in Indi.
The cats, dogs and I are hanging in there but I may leave work early depending on when this next round hits.

I still have power and heat, so no real room to complain, right?
My thoughts of hope are going out to those who are cold...and lonely with no TCM.

B PS There are great pictures of the Vegas snow on weather.com
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Santa had better put chains on the sleigh runners, and the reindeer's feet....we're having freezing rain, parts of Interstate 35 have been shut down due to wrecks and slide-offs, and snow tomorrow......

BAH HUMBUG!
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
klondike

Post by klondike »

This past weekend, we jumped from 5.5 inches of snow, to 21 inches, in just under 2.5 days . . and now, our average daily high temp has gone from 26 degrees fahrenheit, to 3 above zero. :shock:
Well, I'd wanted an old-fashioned Xmas, and now I guess I'm getting my wish!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

since I made it home safely, and others have not, and my house is warm, and others are cold, and I have loved ones who care about me, and others do not....

can I take back my Bah Humbug?

:oops: :oops: :oops:
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
klondike

Post by klondike »

knitwit45 wrote:since I made it home safely, and others have not, and my house is warm, and others are cold, and I have loved ones who care about me, and others do not....

can I take back my Bah Humbug?

:oops: :oops: :oops:
Why sure, Nancy, go ahead . . after all, Santa is listening! :idea:
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

knitwit45 wrote: and I have loved ones who care about me, and others do not.
Some of us live at this address.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Thanks, Klonnie. Are you one of Santa's elves? As it is, I am already on the Naughty list, haven't made it over to the Nice list in years....sigh....but maybe my name has slipped down a couple of notches?

BTW, the Christmas gift you wrote about on another thread was enough to melt this old heart. What a loving family you have.

Best to you and yours!

Grinchy Nancy
klondike

Post by klondike »

knitwit45 wrote:Thanks, Klonnie. Are you one of Santa's elves? As it is, I am already on the Naughty list, haven't made it over to the Nice list in years....sigh....but maybe my name has slipped down a couple of notches?

BTW, the Christmas gift you wrote about on another thread was enough to melt this old heart. What a loving family you have.

Best to you and yours!

Grinchy Nancy
Good on you, Nancy, because what's a li'l naughtiness now & then, but cinnamon in the sugar?
And yes, I am incalculably blessed with a mightily loving family . . including one who sits by my bed on starless nights, making sure Mother & I stay tucked-in.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

We all need a little naughtiness in us now and then just to keep life interesting.

What's wrong with cinnamon in sugar? I keep a bottle of that mixture around my kitchen at all times. It's great on buttered toast for a quick breakfast or a late snack, and although I don't use sugar in my coffee, sometimes for a slightly different taste, I'll shake a smidgen in.

When I got some ground cinnamon down to nearly gone in a shaker jar, I filled it with sugar, and believe me, you'll find lots of uses for it. M-m-m-m hot oatmeal or malt-o-meal, with a sprinkle of cinnamon/sugar.

Anne
Anne