The Good News Thread

Chit-chat, current events
silentscreen

Re: The Good News Thread

Post by silentscreen »

Thanks Fernando,

Of course I think they're cute. Their skin is like silk and they smell of vanilla.:wink: Ah, it's great being young!
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

They are so sweet Brenda :D
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

Brenda, they are lovely, they're so sweet.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I had a nice little treat today: it's my fifth anniversary at this lawfirm, and I was given one dozen roses (the kind that actually have some fragrance), a little certificate of service, and a $50 gift certificate. Wow. They like me! They really like me!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Wow!!!!
I've been here 15 years, and I swear I don't think they know I'm around. But wait till I take a sick day, or some vacation time....hah!!! Then I'm single handedly destroying the company.....

Congrats, Judith, you have earned every one of those roses, and spend that lovely gift certificate on YOU.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I'm so glad that others recognized your contributions at work, Judith. I love when roses have a scent too. What color were they?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
feaito

Post by feaito »

Congratulations Judith! :D

I got my first present from my company after working 15 years here...
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

moirafinnie wrote:I'm so glad that others recognized your contributions at work, Judith. I love when roses have a scent too. What color were they?
Mostly white, with some pink, and orange and one of those purply-mauve ones I really like.

I know what you all mean about lack of recognition from employers. In most firms where I've worked, you have to put in 20 years or more before they even acknowledge you are around. However, I do remember that at one lawfirm, a really big one, on my fifth anniversary I was given one of those little boxes of Godiva chocolates -- there were four pieces in it. Not even five pieces for five years!

My current Admin. Supervisor told me that the firm gives flowers and gifts for every five years of service. We are also having a firmwide party next week for the firm's 40th anniversary. Bread and circuses -- that's what keeps us happy.
charliechaplinfan

jdb1 wrote:I had a nice little treat today: it's my fifth anniversary at this lawfirm, and I was given one dozen roses (the kind that actually have some fragrance), a little certificate of service, and a $50 gift certificate. Wow. They like me! They really like me!
That's so nice, I've worked for my employer for 22 years and never any thanks let alone a present. I'm glad that there are some nice employers in the world.

Of course they like you.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Judith -
Congratulations!
Enjoy every whiff.
B
charliechaplinfan

Not so much good news as amusing.

We've decided to get the kids a 8ft trampoline, Chris order it and sent me to pick it up. I hadn't really thought about this. I went to the store in heels and a lovely summer dress and then saw how big the box was. I'm such a weakling, I could hardly wheel the thing out of the store. Once I got to the car, could I lift it. Back into the store enduring the stares of the female assistant who had to call for help. Once back in the car park the heavens opened, the lock on my back seats jammed and wouldn't let me put the seats down. Everyone got soaking whilst I fiddled and felt imcompetent. Finally, we got the trampoline in the car and I set off very gingerly with my load. Now we have it home, can Chris and I get it out of the car :roll:
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Alison,

I smell a movie scene here - too bad it wasn't filmed and you could put it on one of those 'video shows'... :roll:
50 years ago, you could have sold it to Lucille Ball.... :lol:

Larry
charliechaplinfan

An update, it is now out of the car after we enlisted help. Hubby knows I am a complete weakling, it's not my fault, I can't even get a grip on the thing, my arm span doesn't reach around it. It's going to be one hell of a trampoline, I intend to use it when the kids are at school. If anyone is going to land in casualty, it will be me, even with the enclosure.
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Sounds like fun- bouce away!
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

Alison, I swear... JUST when I'm feelin' sorry for ya living in boxes and moving an' all, and you get an even BIGGER box?!! Good grief...

On an even sicker note, there are Army surplus places in shadier London that I found small parachuites - maybe 6' or 8' feet across. I was thinking, "Now, if a child was on a tramp and had one of these - hmmm..." Of course, nowadays people have decided to hook up balloons to lawn chairs and play MARY POPPINS.

"Poppin'", however, is probably exactly the wrong word for balloon-travel, though.