Happy Chanukah!

Post by knitwit45 »

to all my friends who celebrate the Festival of Lights

[youtube][/youtube]

And to end all the confusion:

[youtube][/youtube]
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Thanks, Nancy - these are nice. Last night the Empire State Building tower was lit up in blue and white for the first night of this holiday.

I love the Channuka/Chanukkah/Hanukka/Hannukah, etc. controversy. It goes on forever. There has been as much written about that as there has been written as commentary to the Torah. My thought is that if you spell with with an "H" you will be pronouncing it in a Anglified way, and if you spell it with a "Ch," you are attempting to recreate the Hebraic gutteral sound.

As far as the written word - as is said in Yiddish: Mach's nichts. That is, it doesn't matter.

Latkes for everyone!
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Thanks Nancy,

I was raised in a multi-denominational family and observed both Chanukah and Christmas for a fair number of years. I had at one time the best of both worlds! Thanks for remembering us! L'Chaim! To life!

As always,

Hollis
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Having no knowledge of what goes on during Chanukah, I do believe it is a happy time with gift giving and joyous dinners.

So from the Catholic lady, please accept my wishes for a happy holiday. :!:

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Happy Chanukah!

Post by moira finnie »

No matter how you spell it or observe it, I hope that everyone has a joyous festival of light, beginning tonight at sundown. Below is a lovely piece with the great Theodore Bikel singing the story of Hanukkah for all of us and reminding me that it is a story of hope and liberation in a dark world. Blessings on everyone's celebration!

[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks