The whiny thread

Chit-chat, current events
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Re: The whiny thread

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

So sorry to hear about the transportation difficulties, Chris. My son's second car, a 98 Nissan, needed new struts and stuff and there went my vacation cash. Being a single Mom with a son in college---yuck. But at least you have a partner to commisserate with. Somebody is always watching out for me, though. :D

That Buick is a real trooper!
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I understand why she likes that Buick although I'd find it hard to rationalise, it's just women, after we've nutured our children we don't like to part with other parts of our lives either, my car is one of them. Hope everything sorts itself out for you, have you a shed to hide in until the problems are solved?
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Hi, friends. Sorry to be away so long, I'm looking for an old thread we had about recommended DVD recorders.

Here is my huge WHINE....now I am not only without TCM, I am now without a DVD player. They both died. I can still watch movies in the laptop but don't care to. I will probably replace the cheapy/basic player soon but also want to replace my recorder. I know, everyone has tivo or recorders thru their system but I don't; my recorder had a RAM disc so you could watch in slip time or whatever, plus record and finalize -R disks. I would like to replace my Panasonic DMR ES20 with the same machine, but I bought it over 3 years ago for $66 w/ warranty and now they are $100 or over. ]

Any suggestions? Any sympathy? What's a girl with 300 black and white movies to do?
charliechaplinfan

Birdy I have plenty of sympathy but can't help you very much, I don't chose our electrical equipment plus our prices in the UK are usually dearer. I hope you solve your problem quickly, I can't be without my black and white fix.

I've got a whine too. Mum's in hospital, Joe has tonsilitis, my symptoms are taking a turn for the worse and Chris's back is making it hard for him to move. I have my films and that is keeping me going along with all my pals here.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Birdy, I'll bet Moira or Chris will be able to find your thread for you. Was it in the Help Section? I can't remember. Walmart has been featuring some pretty good deals on recorders, you might want to check there (the recorders are by Magnavox or Phillips, can't remember which) :roll:

Alison, I'm so sorry for all the sickness in your home. I'll bet Libby is overwhelmed with everyone down but her. And poor Grandma...hope she is home soon. Does the weather affect your ME? wish I could help....give everyone hugs from me....
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Alison I am so sorry to hear about your mother! Not to mention all the other health problems. I hope you are all on the mend soon.

Birdy, It's nice to hear from you! I am facing the same challenge as I have a Panasonic with a hard drive but they don't make these anymore. :( Wish I could be of some help, but I am not very technologically aware.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Birdy asked -
Any suggestions? Any sympathy? What's a girl with 300 black and white movies to do?

Make a ton of popcorn.

Here are a couple of things I found. They are close to two years old but may have some info for you. Good luck.

http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... ers#p63907

http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... ers#p70254
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
feaito

Post by feaito »

Dear Ali, Wishing you and your family the best. You are in my constant thoughts.
charliechaplinfan

Thanks guys. We'll all be better soon, the weather does affect my ME but as it's Summer it's meant to be better, we are having a wet Summer so that isn't helping. Joe is now like a caged animal, he wants to go back to school and play out which means he's nagging me to do things and all I feel like is crawling under the duvet. It'll pass eventually. I'll make that tonne of popcorn, in times like these my usual solace is chocolate.

Hope you get sorted Birdy :wink:
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Thanks to all for the suggestions and encouragement.
Alison, Are things better in your neck of the woods now?
Thinking of you.
B
charliechaplinfan

Joe is better, Mum is out of hospital in pain but she needs toget used to her new hip and the weather is changeable, I'm coping with my health, at this side of the week I can't wait for weekend, my batteries really need recharging. I cope, I tread water but I'm OK as long as I don't push the limitations.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Well, I guess the fates were bored over the weekend and thought that they would amuse themselves by making sport of me. On Saturday afternoon, I was minding my own business, cold sober and fancy free. While strolling purposely across the living room, an area rug aggressively reached out and grabbed my left foot. Long story short, I just got back from the doctor where an x-ray revealed a "complex fracture of the second phalanx [that's a toe to you and me] of the left foot with fragmentation of the bone."

Feel free to wonder what ever happened to the sylph-like grace that this ballerina once had (in my dreams) and to murmur among yourselves the burning question: "What makes Moira such a freakin' klutz?"

I'm off to the orthopedic surgeon to have my entire damn left foot placed in a soft cast thanks to my little digit trying to emulate Gabby Douglas' achievements at the Olympics. Then, I am supposed to ice it, elevate it, and use crutches for awhile to prevent further fragmentation. Oh, joy! :wink:
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
otterhere

Post by otterhere »

moirafinnie wrote:Well, I guess the fates were bored over the weekend and thought that they would amuse themselves by making sport of me. On Saturday afternoon, I was minding my own business, cold sober and fancy free. While strolling purposely across the living room, an area rug aggressively reached out and grabbed my left foot. Long story short, I just got back from the doctor where an x-ray revealed a "complex fracture of the second phalanx [that's a toe to you and me] of the left foot with fragmentation of the bone."

Feel free to wonder what ever happened to the sylph-like grace that this ballerina once had (in my dreams) and to murmur among yourselves the burning question: "What makes Moira such a freakin' klutz?"

I'm off to the orthopedic surgeon to have my entire damn left foot placed in a soft cast thanks to my little digit trying to emulate Gabby Douglas' achievements at the Olympics. Then, I am supposed to ice it, elevate it, and use crutches for awhile to prevent further fragmentation. Oh, joy! :wink:
Hey, I had that! "Avulsion fracture of the terminal phalanx" meaning I bent it back WAY over and the tendon ripped off, taking a piece of the bone with it. Was nothing to do but give it time (over a year of really extreme pain walking, forget hiking or running) unless I wanted surgery in which a rod was inserted; NO THANKS! Still have a big bump there!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Ouch, both of you.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
otterhere

Post by otterhere »

movieman1957 wrote:Ouch, both of you.
Same toe; LOL! I got mine kayaking, so at least it was worth it...