The whiny thread

Chit-chat, current events
JackFavell

Re: The whiny thread

Post by JackFavell »

How did you like Gangster Squad? Can I hear you say "Untouchables remake"?
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I'm still hoping for you Theresa that a miracle can occur. Don't beat yourself up about it too much, we've all lost things when we should have taken more care. It's just one of those things, one of those very annoying things. At least you don't have to explain it to anyone and have them tell you all you already feel all over again. A good thing about not being married I think.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

PHOTOBUCKET CHANGED THEIR FORMAT ... AND I HATE IT!!!
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'm with you.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u]JackFavell[/u] wrote:How did you like Gangster Squad? Can I hear you say "Untouchables remake"?
I enjoyed it a lot. Brolin is like Gable, Gosling is a yummy pastry, Richard Patrick as the old cowboy cop was a doll, Anthony Mackie was cool, Michael Pena...so loyal. Look at Nick Nolte, all cleaned up and gravelly voiced. I loved the actress who played Brolin's wife. ( Mireille Enos ) and Emma Stone was very good. I know Jennifer Lawrence is the new flavor of Hollywood, but Emma's very good too as is Jessica Chastain. There's a new crop of girls comin' up. The violence was ballet-like, Sean Penn - very frightening. Loved the movie.

Also saw:

* "MAMA" by Guillermo del Toro ( * * 1/2 )
* "SIDE EFFECTS" by Steven Soderbergh ( * * * )

[u]charliechaplinfan[/u] wrote:I'm still hoping for you Theresa that a miracle can occur. Don't beat yourself up about it too much, we've all lost things when we should have taken more care. It's just one of those things, one of those very annoying things. At least you don't have to explain it to anyone and have them tell you all you already feel all over again. A good thing about not being married I think.
"...At least you don't have to explain it to anyone and have them tell you all you already feel all over again. A good thing about not being married I think."HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! First good laugh I've had in a week. :lol: Thanx man!

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I agree, Brolin is very much like Gable. He's got a rugged way of capturing the screen, you can't really take your eyes off of him. I thought he came off best in the film except for Richard Patrick who schooled all these younger actors in how it's done.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I agree, Brolin is very much like Gable

Interesting, in that his dad played Gable. Previews for SIDE EFFECTS are intriguing. It's hard to say why, exactly. It just looks exciting.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u]JackFavell[/u] wrote:I agree, Brolin is very much like Gable. He's got a rugged way of capturing the screen, you can't really take your eyes off of him. I thought he came off best in the film except for Richard Patrick who schooled all these younger actors in how it's done.
I agree with you 100%. As for Robert Patrick I was so pleasantly surprised by him. It seems like just yesterday he was so cyborg-y smoothly kind of James Dean-looking in "Terminator II" which is already twenty-two years ago. I really liked him in "Gangster..." As for Gable Brolin, I've got to see "No Country For 0ld Men" again.

[u]RedRiver[/u] wrote:..Previews for SIDE EFFECTS are intriguing. It's hard to say why, exactly. It just looks exciting.
You won't find it exciting. But it is very adult.

Relative to nothing, I'd love to see if Steven Spielberg could direct a simple family drama or romantic comedy or a Hitchcock-type thriller. Go small or go home. Ack!

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I think he could. It may not rival the best of Billy Wilder or Delbert Mann, but Spielberg has talent. He'd just need to rein it in! David Lean is best known in this country for expansive, overwhelming projects. Yet, his best meals are served on a much smaller plate.
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

I broke a tooth during dinner tonight. Darn nachos with crunchy corn chips. I'll never order them again.

This means an urgent trip to the dentist (hopefully tomorrow) and depending on what needs to be done, an expensive bill to pay. :x
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Oh,PT, I'm so sorry to hear this..if it makes you feel any better (probably not, but still...)
I just watched Mrs. Parkington, and the only good thing in that depressing movie was the absolutely BEAUTIFUL
Agnes. Never lovelier, with skin to die for...
I must confess, I finally gave up after the Prince of Wales episode, Walter Pidgeon was hateful, and GG just didn't nail the young bride, at least for me. Anyway, AM was lovely...
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
Professional Tourist

Thank you, knitwit45. I didn't finish dinner -- chicken enchiladas, anyone? :wink:

I just watched Mrs. Parkington last week, myself. I enjoy the whole picture, but I'm glad to know you enjoyed AM's scenes. :)

I need a funny movie tonight, with plenty of laughs. I had started to watch Papillon but switched it off after the breakage. Let's see. . . . :)
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Poor PT! I cracked a tooth last year and what a pain it was to get it fixed! Very annoying, but luckily not too much pain.

Papillon is definitely not to be watched now....
Professional Tourist

Thank you, JackFavell. I'm hoping she can repair the tooth with a filling or bonding. I hope I won't need another crown -- already have two, one of them right next to this tooth.

I'm trying some never-heard-of-them free comedies on Hulu now. If I don't find something soon I may pop in my Moonstruck DVD. :)
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

More than once, I've broken a tooth while eating something fairly soft. I guess sometimes they're just ready to go! In need of a funny movie? Call on Mr. W. C. Fields. One of the Hawks comedies. Early Bob Hope vehicles are full of zingers. I only hope it doesn't hurt when you laugh!