The whiny thread

Chit-chat, current events
Rita Hayworth

Re: The whiny thread

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I broke a tooth while biting on an apple after dinner ... and guess what everyone - I was scheduled to see the Dentist the very next day and installed a temporary cap and three weeks later a more permanent solution.
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Thanks guys -- the dentist will see me at 4:30pm today.

Last night, after sitting through a ho-hum comedy on Hulu, I thought to run When Harry Met Sally. That did it -- plenty of laughs and smiles! :D

My broken tooth does not hurt, thank goodness, but in the past I've found they start hurting after the dentist has at them! :o
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I didn't appreciate good teeth until things started going wrong with them. Now I appreciate them, I wonder if it's a slippery slope though, once one has gone, do more follow?
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Professional Tourist

charliechaplinfan wrote:I wonder if it's a slippery slope though, once one has gone, do more follow?
Well, it depends. As a kid I didn't take good care of my teeth so by the time I was 19 I had several teeth with large fillings, where the crowns were more amalgam than tooth. I haven't had a cavity since then, but had my first tooth break in my early forties (while eating fried chicken) the second in my late forties (while eating trail mix, a banana chip was the culprit) and now the third in my early fifties (while eating nachos).

I think the best you can do is floss daily, brush twice daily with a soft brush (I use Colgate Wave), and have dental checkups twice a year. And if you have teeth with large fillings, try to avoid foods that are hard, chewy, or sticky, to preserve what you have for as long as you can.

Good news for me today at the dentist. My usual was on vacation so her partner treated me. He was able to save the tooth with a bonded filling, no crown needed. Hooray! [This tooth was one that didn't have too large a filling, so I was hopeful.] :D :D

I understand it's possible for the bonding to break eventually, but I'm going to do my best to preserve it by avoiding foods that are more difficult to chew.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I'm glad you had some good news there PT. even here we have to pay for our dental treatment and it doesn't come cheap and these things are nearly always things we don't plan for. Stay away from nachos in future :wink:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

kingme wrote:I broke a tooth while biting on an apple after dinner ... and guess what everyone - I was scheduled to see the Dentist the very next day and installed a temporary cap and three weeks later a more permanent solution.
Last night, I got another (not joking) incident of the very same tooth that I broke ... same sceanario ... as above!

Lighting Strike Twice! 11 years later. I will be seeing the dentist later on today.

P.S. Kinda funny quoting myself here.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh kingme, that's too bad! Odd isn't it, the timing coming right after we talked about teeth....
Professional Tourist

Kingme, you broke the same tooth that had already been crowned? :o Oh no! I hope the dentist can repair the crown! Hang in there, guy. Let us know how you make out at the dentist.

I'm so paranoid these days of anything that's even a little bit hard to chew. I threw out after one bite the pickle that came with my sandwich tonight because it felt too crunchy and not worth the risk! :roll:
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Professional Tourist wrote:Kingme, you broke the same tooth that had already been crowned? :o Oh no! I hope the dentist can repair the crown! Hang in there, guy. Let us know how you make out at the dentist.

I'm so paranoid these days of anything that's even a little bit hard to chew. I threw out after one bite the pickle that came with my sandwich tonight because it felt too crunchy and not worth the risk! :roll:

They did a temporary fix that okay for 3-4 days and more permanent one on Monday. I had to wait 3 hours to get in and had to do some shuffling of my schedule today to make it work. I had problem with that one tooth ... I call it my bad apple and I had 3 cavities in my life ... and all on one tooth. I blamed the othrodondist who damaged it in the first place and that causes the tooth to weaken over time. It is not easy for me to explain; but my dentist at that time and along with two others filed complaints against him and my parents got some retribution for his sloppy workmanship.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Now, my tooth is fixed and took them little over 2 hours to fix it. I just received a new crown and my dentist discovered a small cavity underneath the broken tooth and took out a portion of it so that my new crown can be installed much easier. The good news is that my root canal and nerves is not damaged and nor infected. So, after spending a little over 3 1/2 hours over the period of 7 days my problems is now taken care of. I will be able to eat again in two hours from now ... So my Popcorn Munching days are back ... with TCM movies to boot.
Professional Tourist

I'm glad to know your tooth had been repaired, kingme. Thank goodness. I've heard that cavities can form underneath a crown -- it's fortunate that yours was caught while still small. Please be careful with apples and pop corn! :)
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

From Jim Carrey's anti-NRA You Tube video: "Charlton Heston movies are no longer in demand."

BEN-HUR
THE TEN COMMANDMENTS
TOUCH OF EVIL
PLANET OF THE APES
THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH
THE AGONY AND THE ECSTACY
WILL PENNY
THE BIG COUNTRY
EL CID
THE BUCCANEER
SOYLENT GREEN

DUMB AND DUMBER. My point is not one of politics. But, whose movies are no longer in demand?
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

You come up with some doozy remarks, RR, but this time you hit the nail on the head!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Professional Tourist wrote:I'm glad to know your tooth had been repaired, kingme. Thank goodness. I've heard that cavities can form underneath a crown -- it's fortunate that yours was caught while still small. Please be careful with apples and pop corn! :)
You are so right PT! ... I decided to quartered the apples from now on and take smaller bites of popcorn from now on! :)