The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters.

At Random

Chit-chat, current events

Moderators: Sue Sue Applegate, movieman1957, moira finnie, Lzcutter

User avatar
JackFavell
Posts: 11946
Joined: April 20th, 2009, 9:56 am

Re: At Random

Postby JackFavell » November 24th, 2009, 8:44 am

It is interesting, isn't it, how two kids can be so different. But they both sound great! I didn't realize this earlier, but kids do grow and change personalities a bit with time. So if you wait and see, you might be surprised and end up with two very different kids than you have now. It's like they mellow with age...

Alice has changed from a 4 or 5 year old girl who would let everyone take a turn on the slide before her (sometimes twice before she got up the courage to jump in and take a turn), to being a very nice, but strong-minded girl who jumps in most of the time. She is still reticent about raising her hand in class, or asking for what she wants in a restaurant. She has changed in the last few years, she is polite, but doesn't let people walk all over her anymore. I think maybe the change started with this incident in 1st grade, but I am not sure. By giving her my permission to stand up to that girl, maybe she began to have faith in her own judgment. Now I don't have to worry about her so much. I was so afraid that she would just be taken advantage of all the time.... but that is not the case now. She definitely stands up for herself.

User avatar
charliechaplinfan
Posts: 9087
Joined: January 15th, 2008, 9:49 am

Re: At Random

Postby charliechaplinfan » November 24th, 2009, 2:53 pm

Alice sounds a lot like Elizabeth, the reluctance to put her hand up in class, that's Elizabeth. They have show and tell at school, some kids last year did it every week, taking something precious in from home and talking about it, Elizabeth wouldn't she was too shy and didn't think she had anything worthwhile to say. That's changed now, this year she's taken quite a few things in to talk about and she's got a talking part in the school nativity. I'm so proud.

Alice is Elizabeth's middle name, very nearly was her first name but with me being Alison, we thought it would be too close to my name. I couldn't let go of the name so Alice is her middle name.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin

User avatar
JackFavell
Posts: 11946
Joined: April 20th, 2009, 9:56 am

Re: At Random

Postby JackFavell » November 24th, 2009, 7:56 pm

Oh can you believe it? Alice's middle name is Elizabeth! After my mom. I was going to name her Emma, because I love the Jane Austen book, but then the name got ridiculously popular and I couldn't do it. Then I decided on Anna, but right after she was born, she looked so much like my mom I had to name her Alice.

User avatar
charliechaplinfan
Posts: 9087
Joined: January 15th, 2008, 9:49 am

Re: At Random

Postby charliechaplinfan » November 25th, 2009, 7:43 am

Were we seperated at birth? :lol: Alice is also the name of both of my Grandmothers. Elizabeth was and is Libby to us but at school she prefers the longer version. Libby has now turned into a very popular name in it's own right but Elizabeth is far rarer. She suits both names. Poor Joe got named after my Grandfather Victor, I don't think he'll brag about that one but I really like it.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin

User avatar
silentscreen
Posts: 715
Joined: March 9th, 2008, 3:47 pm

Re: At Random

Postby silentscreen » November 25th, 2009, 7:51 am

JackFavell wrote:Oh can you believe it? Alice's middle name is Elizabeth! After my mom. I was going to name her Emma, because I love the Jane Austen book, but then the name got ridiculously popular and I couldn't do it. Then I decided on Anna, but right after she was born, she looked so much like my mom I had to name her Alice.


Will the coincidences never cease! My twin granddaughers are named Emma Jean and Annabelle. (Anna for short.) I tried to talk them out of Emma as it is as you say so popular, and is also the name of my great neice, but there was no talking them out of it.

Brenda
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard

User avatar
charliechaplinfan
Posts: 9087
Joined: January 15th, 2008, 9:49 am

Re: At Random

Postby charliechaplinfan » November 25th, 2009, 2:49 pm

Emma is a lovely name, it's not overly common here, my friend has a daughter called Emma and we had a good friend called Emma. Anna, we considered for Joe, or Rose was the other choice.

I thought naming a boy was far harder than naming a girl, it's partly because most of the young children I knew through friends were boys and the trend here tends to be for Biblical names, which I like, then my husband's family is all boys, so that got rid of a few more names.

I could name another ten girls, Christian and middle names but a boy, I would struggle with.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin

User avatar
movieman1957
Administrator
Posts: 5478
Joined: April 15th, 2007, 3:50 pm
Location: MD

Re: At Random

Postby movieman1957 » November 25th, 2009, 3:20 pm

We wanted something traditional but not too unusual. We named our son Ian Christopher as I would not have a junior. Our daughter is Maureen Victoria.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."

User avatar
JackFavell
Posts: 11946
Joined: April 20th, 2009, 9:56 am

Re: At Random

Postby JackFavell » November 25th, 2009, 4:04 pm

Beautiful names movieman. I love the name Ian.

I have trouble with boy names too. My husband wanted Christopher but he was sweet and chose my maiden name, Tobias, as a middle name if we had had a boy.

I love classic names which are very popular right now, but I can't help but think that all these kids growing up - the Emmas and the Alices, and the Lilys, are going to grow up and pick very modern outrageous names for their kids.

User avatar
charliechaplinfan
Posts: 9087
Joined: January 15th, 2008, 9:49 am

Re: At Random

Postby charliechaplinfan » November 25th, 2009, 5:23 pm

Well I've done naming children but my daughter is having 5 children, 3 girls and 2 boys and knows what she is going to call them. Then there is the 3 cats, 2 dogs, 1 rabbit and a pony. She's hasn't got a firm grasp on how much things cost yet or how hard it is to earn money.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin

User avatar
JackFavell
Posts: 11946
Joined: April 20th, 2009, 9:56 am

Re: At Random

Postby JackFavell » November 25th, 2009, 6:02 pm

Oh Lordy! That made me laugh hard....

My daughter wants a rabbit now, although we have a dog and a hamster already. Dad has been telling her that when the hamster passes on, she can have a rabbit. This was a big mistake. I am pretty sure that she is thinking about doing away with the hamster now......

User avatar
silentscreen
Posts: 715
Joined: March 9th, 2008, 3:47 pm

Re: At Random

Postby silentscreen » November 25th, 2009, 9:19 pm

I chose a very classic Biblical name for my son. He is Joshua Bruce. The "Bruce" is for my elder brother Bruce who died just before Josh was born in an auto accident. My father was also named Bruce, so it is a family name, like Robert, the Bruce, King of Scotland. Not such bad namesake!

When Josh found out that both babies were girls, he told me that they wanted to go with "classic names." I've always been fond of Irish names like Ian and Sean for boys. I'm in agreement that the next generation will want to go with more unusual names. Annabelle's name is actually Annabelle Mae, which I think a bit too much. She will have to live up to that one, and at this point, she is such an independent little Missy, it looks like she will.
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard

User avatar
rohanaka
Posts: 255
Joined: April 30th, 2009, 1:00 pm

Re: At Random

Postby rohanaka » November 25th, 2009, 11:26 pm

Ms Favell and Ms CCFan... ha...

Ladies, your daughters and mine sound like polar opposites..ha.

Hannah Lynne is six (going on sixteen..ha) (and yes, we chose "Hannah" as a namesake for the woman in the Bible. Her story has always been very dear to my heart) And although I was the quiet and shy kid in our family for MOST of my childhood, somehow, my child is ANYTHING but shy. OH me. Sometimes I worry because I fear she will make other children "afraid". ha.. not because she is a bully.. but just because she is so doggone enthusiastic. She is very chatty and social.. and LOVES to be around other children. And she says hello to almost ANYONE, adults and kids alike. So I have REALLY had a challenge sometimes because when we go out, I have had to "reign her in" a bit when we are in the check out line at the store or something..ha. She will start chatting it up to total stangers. But in truth, as "exhuberant" as she is sometimes, she really does make me smile to watch how excited she can be over the simplest things. (and I am glad for that. She is a very easy to please kinda kid) (oh... and she LOVES to order for herself at the restaurants.. and her new fave thing is to ask for the check in Spanish when we go to our local Mexican place..ha. "La cuenta, por favor" ha.)

I will say though that she is not a mean child. In fact her heart is very kind. But she is EXTREMELY enthusiastic. And it can be a problem for her because she loves to be at the front of the line, and NEVER hesitates to raise her hand... or volunteer to answer a question or help with anything and everthing. And she gets VERY disappointed if she is not called on or chosen, too. It is something we have really had to work with her about.

I think she has come to understand (finally) that she can't ALWAYS be first or she can't always be the one to answer when a teacher asks a question, but boy oh boy, it took us a while to get that through to her. It used to upset her a LOT and then we'd have to have this long chat. And then finally one day, I had a "stroke of genius" ha. And I said, "How would YOU feel if the other children got upset everytime YOU were chosen to be first in line?" And she answered JUST the way I hoped she would. She said she wouldn't want that and that she wanted the other kids to be happy for her. And so I kept explaining to her that ALL the children deserved a chance to answer questions, or be first, or have the chance to speak... just like she did and they deserved for HER to be happy for THEM too. And finally, I think it made some sense to her.

And so now, our new 'saying" is "When someone else is chosen instead of me, I will be happy for my friends". I make her remind herself of that almost EVERYTIME we go anywhere that involves being around other kids. And so far... it seems to FINALLY be working. But BOY oh BOY has it taken forever.

At any rate, I HOPE someday we can channel that enthusiasm in the right direction. Everyone thinks their child is bright.. but she truly is. And no, I'm not bragging..ha.. Ok,maybe I am (just a little) ha. But she is well ahead of her grade level in nearly every subject. And that presents a problem for her too, because I always joke she has a 10 yr old mind but a 6 yr old mindset) ha.

She just has so much potential that it is fun to watch her as she moves forward, but it is a fine line between encouraging her to "go for" things that she wants to do .... and not holding her down by our efforts to reign her in when she gets TOO enthusiastic some times.

Ah... parenthood. ha.

User avatar
JackFavell
Posts: 11946
Joined: April 20th, 2009, 9:56 am

Re: At Random

Postby JackFavell » November 26th, 2009, 11:40 am

Hey , Ro! Hannah and Alice should exchange a little of their personalities... ha! I would love it if Alice raised her hand even once when someone asks a question. Her friend Emma's mom actually thinks Alice is being mean because when Emma calls on the phone, Alice usually says almost nothing to her, just yes and no, and um.... I don't know. Of course Emma is a little chatterbox so Alice probably never gets a word in edgewise.

I was a chatty kid... my mom had to stop me from talking to people after one incident when I followed a street person all around the grocery store talking to him. That was back in the day when you could run free a bit. I also had another incident in which I wanted to ride the little horsey at the front of the grocery store, and so while my mother shopped, I went back and asked people for dimes (does that date me?) to ride the electric horse. I got some too, before my mother found me and gave me a severe talking to about begging. She made me apologize and I am sure that when I got home, I got punished.

Alice was always just average in everything, and this was very hard for me, coming from a home that put a lot of emphasis on being smart. I had to hold back because Alice was a slow reader (I should say, she was right on target for her age group). It totally bothered me. But now this year she leaped ahead and is reading at almost a sixth grade level! I guess we just have to make sure she continues to read up to her skill level now. Luckily, one of the girls down the street from us got her interested in a series of books that are in her reading level. Whew! It is a relief for me to see her blossom like this. Her teacher this year is great, the first really fantastic teacher we have had.... she really saw Alice's strengths and weaknesses without us having to tell her anything. She is going to try to help Alice to be more confident holding up her hand and answering questions in public.

OK that's my brag back at you, Miss Ro! Hope it wasn't too obnoxious....

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I gotta go make the mashed potatoes now....
:D :D :D :D

User avatar
charliechaplinfan
Posts: 9087
Joined: January 15th, 2008, 9:49 am

Re: At Random

Postby charliechaplinfan » November 26th, 2009, 3:17 pm

Now Hannah sounds like Joseph, he's just started school and wants to do everything for the teacher, he takes her letters every day, which is good because he practices his writing. He follows the teacher around reminding her to do things in the right order. His nicest quality is that he wants to help everyone. There are a couple of kids in his class who need help and bless him he's always looking out for them.

Elizabeth is very clever, she's like her Dad's family in intelligence but has my diligence and drive at getting things done, it seemsl ike a good combination. Joseph is the opposite, he isn't really into his reading yet but does like his own books, I just hope when he picks up a few more words, then that might spurr him on to get the reading bug.

It's very hard not to compare your child to others in terms of achievement and party invitations but I try very hard to switch off my mind to it as it does no good.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin

User avatar
rohanaka
Posts: 255
Joined: April 30th, 2009, 1:00 pm

Re: At Random

Postby rohanaka » November 26th, 2009, 4:01 pm

Ha, Jackie.... You are trying to push Alice out in the open a bit and I am trying to drag Hannah back...ha. Somewhere along the way they will end up meeting in the middle someday, maybe...ha. But I do believe every kid has their natural bent... and their own time frame for learning things. And also their own time frame for developing different aspects to their personality, too.

JackFavell wrote:Luckily, one of the girls down the street from us got her interested in a series of books that are in her reading level. Whew! It is a relief for me to see her blossom like this. Her teacher this year is great, the first really fantastic teacher we have had.... she really saw Alice's strengths and weaknesses without us having to tell her anything. She is going to try to help Alice to be more confident holding up her hand and answering questions in public


I think sometimes a single teacher can make or break a kid's whole school experience. Sounds like maybe Alice has hit the jackpot this time. :) I bet as she gets more and more confident, her strengths will really start to shine through. (and ps... ha.... ENJOY the "serenity" ha... I have days w/ the kidling where I am literally looking for the off switch..ha. SIX years and I STILL haven't found it yet, ha)

JackFavell wrote:I was a chatty kid... my mom had to stop me from talking to people after one incident when I followed a street person all around the grocery store talking to him. That was back in the day when you could run free a bit. I also had another incident in which I wanted to ride the little horsey at the front of the grocery store, and so while my mother shopped, I went back and asked people for dimes (does that date me?) to ride the electric horse. I got some too, before my mother found me and gave me a severe talking to about begging. She made me apologize and I am sure that when I got home, I got punished.


THAT is a total crack up!!! ha. You little mischief maker, you, ha. At that age I was the kind of kid that if you looked at me crosseyed, I'd just bust out bawling.. ha. Along w/ being shy, I was an "eager to please" kinda kid, too. Ha I did not get in trouble at school because it nearly CRUSHED me to think anyone might get upset with me.... eventuallly, I got over that. HA!! :lol:

PS Ms. CC Fan:
charliechaplinfan wrote: he takes her letters every day, which is good because he practices his writing. He follows the teacher around reminding her to do things in the right order.


That sounds VERY familiar. Ha. Mine has a memory like an elephant. ha. She keeps me on my toes all the time.

charliechaplinfan wrote:His nicest quality is that he wants to help everyone. There are a couple of kids in his class who need help and bless him he's always looking out for them.


That is so encouraging to see someone so young have that sort of spirit. Your two sound like a nice mix. I bet it is a challenge to not compare them sometimes.... or to even refrain from challenging the one to be more like the other sometimes.

And as for other kids, I think it is a natural trap for parents to fall into to try and see how their kids match up to others. Our issues (for comparison with others) are not so academic but social instead. Hannah all but breaks my heart sometimes when I see her struggling in those social situations (where she gets so upset when she is not chosen, etc)

But I have finally decided to make my "worry" about what the other kids will think of her WORK for me (instead of trying to shield her from embarrassing herself in those situations) Every kid has their "meltdown" moments but mine sometimes tends to have hers more publicly. And I used to "take her out" when she got out of hand, (because I KNOW the oher kids are staring at her) but I told her from now on, if she wanted to have a tantrum, she had to do it in front of everyone so they could watch too.... ha... and she got really quiet and said "MOM,I don't want them to see me like that."

And I told her "BINGO. We have a winner! If you don't want the kids to SEE you like that.... don't ACT like that." :) ha!

And lo and behold, I THINK it maybe has finally started working. It has been more than a little while since our last major meltdown. I am sure it is just a "lull" in the storm. ha, but I will take what I can get. Maybe, slowly but surely, the lights are coming on for her.


Return to “General Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 2 guests