Ain't it the Truth

Chit-chat, current events
mrsl

Ain't it the Truth

Post by mrsl »

I believe I e-mailed this to a few people when I first saw it, but I thought I would share it with everybody before deleting it forever.

I ran into this today while I was cleaning out some of my mail folders and thought it might give someone a smile or two.

Our Childhood in Black and White. I think you'll enjoy it. Whomever wrote this, described our childhood to a tee .

(Under age 40? You won't understand.)

You could hardly see for all the snow, Spread the rabbit ears as far as they go.
Pull a chair up to the TV set, 'Good Night, David. Good Night, Chet.'

My Mom used to cut chicken, chop eggs
and spread mayo on the same cutting board with the same knife and no
bleach, but we didn't seem to get food poisoning.

My Mom used to defrost hamburger on the counter AND I used to eat it raw
sometimes, too. Our school sandwiches were wrapped in wax paper in a brown
paper bag, not in ice-pack coolers, but I can't remember getting e.coli.

Almost all of us would have rather gone swimming in the lake instead of a
pristine pool (talk about boring), no beach closures then.

The term cell phone would have conjured up a phone in a jail cell, and a
pager was the school PA system.

We all took gym, not PE .. and risked permanent injury with a pair of high top
Ked's (only worn in gym) instead of having cross-training athletic shoes with
air cushion soles and built in light reflectors. I can't recall any injuries but
they must have happened because they tell us how much safer we are now.

Flunking gym was not an option even for stupid kids! I guess PE must be much
harder than gym.

Speaking of school, we all said prayers and sang the national anthem, and
staying in detention after school caught all sorts of negative attention.

We must have had horribly damaged psyches. What an archaic health system
we had then. Remember school nurses? Ours wore a hat and everything.

I thought that I was supposed to accomplish something before I was
allowed to be proud of myself.

I just can't recall how bored we were without computers, Play Station,
Nintendo, X-box or 270 digital TV cable stations.

Oh yeah ... and where was the Benadryl and sterilization kit when I got that bee
sting? I could have been killed!

We played 'king of the hill' on piles of gravel left on vacant construction sites,
and when we got hurt, Mom pulled out the 48-cent bottle of Mercurochrome
(kids liked it better because it didn't sting like iodine did) and then we got
our butt spanked.

Now it's a trip to the emergency room, followed b y a 10-day dose of a $49 bottle
of antibiotics, and then Mom calls the attorney to sue the contractor for
leaving a horribly vicious pile of gravel where it was such a threat.

We didn't act up at the neighbor's house either because if we did, we got our butt
spanked there and then we got butt spanked again when we got home.

I recall Donny Reynolds from next door coming over and doing his tricks on the
front stoop, just before he fell off. Little did his Mom know that she could have
owned our house. Instead, she picked him up and swatted him for being such a
goof. It was a neighborhood run amuck.

To top it off, not a single person I knew had ever been told that they were from a
dysfunctional family. How could we possibly have known that?

We needed to get into group therapy and anger management classes? We were
obviously so duped by so many societal ills that we didn't even notice that the
entire country wasn't taking Prozac!

How did we ever survive?

LOVE TO ALL OF US WHO SHARED THIS ERA, AND TO ALL WHO DIDN'T;
SORRY FOR WHAT YOU MISSED. I WOULDN'T TRADE IT FOR ANYTHING.

Pass this to someone and remember that life's most simple pleasures are
very often the best.

Anne
P.S. Kind of reminiscent of my old 'Remember When' thread over on TCM.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Ollie

Re: Ain't it the Truth

Post by Ollie »

Ah, but now we're politically correct! Absolutely NO traumas ever exist for us nowadays, right?!! ha ha...
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

No Ollie:

I wasn't saying that at all. I seem to offend you with nearly everything I post, and I'm sorry for that. I only meant there was a simpler time when kids of all ages played group games together, where the older ones watched out for the younger ones, even tho they may not have been related. The solution to all neighborhood troubles was NOT a lawsuit. Also it was an age when we were not aware that everything we ate, or touched could cause us harm.

Finally, YES, the world would be a whole lot better if so many middle class Moms and Dads did not break their backs to give their kids computers, hand held games, designer clothes, etc. And YES my kids would never dream of complaining because their clothes did not have a little boomerang on it, or somebody's name embroidered across their butt, nor that their GYM shoes were the least expensive shoes you could buy except for summer sandals. My little granddaughter, whom I adore with all my heart came down several pegs in my estimation when she refused to go to school with a plain notebook instead of a Hannah Montana. She literally refused to go out the door on the second day. Personally I don't give a rat's _ _ _ about child abuse. She would have gone to school with the tear streaks still on her face and a pillow to sit on all morning. Sorry, nine years old is just a little too young to make your own decisions about some things, and Yes 'In My Day' I made the rules, not my kids even though it was 4 to 1.

Anne
Anne

klondike

Post by klondike »

Yes, Anne, you have posted this exact list here before, and just like the last time, there are two specific "nostalgias" on this list that have no business being fondly remembered, let alone condoned and/or tolerated, ever, at any time in American History.

1) PRAYER IN PUBLIC SCHOOLS + 2) CORPORAL PUNISHMENT OF CHILDREN

> Do I have issues with praying? Certainly not; I pray every day, and consider it one of the saving graces of my daily life. It is my personal opinion that those individuals who lack expression of contact with Divine Powers are at a great disadvantage to deal with the challenges of life, and with the myriad common obstacles to achieving true happiness.
But the Founding Fathers of these United States knew exactly how critical it was to construct & maintain a healthy & distinct separation of Church & State, and so long as education is mandated by law for minor citizens of the U.S., and supported by state & federal funding, they are governed by the basic tenets of the U.S. Constitution, which include, among its most powerful positions, the separation of Church & State. As for the so-called defending argument that the objecting kids can simply engage in silent prayers of their own choosing, that idea fails in that it not only singles out individual kids who aren't conforming, but for some children even creates a crisis of religious doctrine, as many sects of Christian, Moslem & Judaic faiths dictate the importance of praying in solitude, and/or in the home or temple only, and/or only at specific times. And speaking of home, church & temple, if the parents of all these kids are fulfilling their religious obligations like they should, where's the need for prayer in school? Okay, so you want your kid to have the presence of prayer during their school day? Then pony-up & send them to an accomodating private school, one not funded by my tax dollars, or the taxes of fellow citizens who just might be neither Catholic nor mainstream Protestant. Prayer should never have been included in the curriculum of any American public school.

> Corporal punishment for children has gone the way of the Kaiser station wagon, morally and legally, and in all logical likeliehood, just ain't never coming back, at least in America.
And I think that's probably a good thing, because for every dozen Moms & Dads who knew enough, and were decent enough, to stop with a yanked arm, or a short, face-to face "shake-up", or a good, quick swat to the butt in passing, there was always a household or two where it didn't stop there, and children were brought-up in pain & fear & humiliation & bitterness, and like as not, became class-A abusers of their own kids. In my thirties I was arrested, jailed & fined for "assaulting" a man I witnessed blacking both of his 10-yr-old son's eyes, and bloodying his nose, at a neighborhood ballfield; when we were all brought before a judge, my "victim" hyped his USMC service, his family's position in the community, and his spotless record as a model citizen; he wrapped up his diatribe by swearing that he had been "raised right", and wasn't about to spoil his kid by "sparing the rod". When questioned by the judge, the boy did nothing but stare at the floor & shrug.

Things change; time was, we, as a nation, thought that lead was a smart & valuable ingredient for paint, and same-sex romance was a form of mental illness, and a woman's place, ideally, was in the home, making babies, beds, meals & phonecalls to her fellow PTA members . . and precious little else.

You know, good stuff from past eras can always be rediscovered, and usually re-established in our personal lives, and sometimes, even reinstituted in our culture . . like Victory Gardens!
But entities that insist on refusing to change, and actively avoid evolving with their changing world . . just wither & die.
And there ain't no political spin to that!
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

MrsL, my comment wasn't to you at all, or even to the author of that nice piece. I liked it, and I was thinking of all the politically correct changes that have been crammed down our throats SINCE those days, "as if they would then free us of all other traumas". Yeah, like kids sitting on a hill overlooking their schools, shooting their classmates. Or all the other traumas that have only exponentailly multiplied since "politically correct" enforcements have been made. Ah yes, those have protected us from trauma SOOO well, eh?

No, this wasn't a negative comment about the article, but exactly the opposite. I had meant for my comment to be viewed supportive of the writer's nostalgia, and thanking you for that post.
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

I love nostalgia. Like Klondike says there are many things that have changed for the better since that time, and I think it's wrong to blindly idealize any time period. But there are certainly good things that have been lost, maybe irrevocably. I'm young, but I did grow up just before the internet became mainstream so it was pretty different from what young kids are experiencing right now. We can't turn back the clock on the development of electronics, but I hope we will develop a healthy relationship with them.

Nowadays kids take compromising pictures of each other with their cell phone cameras and post them on the internet, a very advanced form of bullying. But my dad told me about how people used to have really violent fights at school, where kids got beaten up badly, in the 50's and 60's. I didn't live then of course so I can't say, but I think bullying has always existed and was sometimes even encouraged. Maybe it was different in America. Re. the corporal punishment, I've also heard stories about teachers twisting the ears of dyslectic children because they couldn't learn how to spell. There was no attempt from said teacher to try to understand the child's problem, that wasn't thought of. To me that signals that the children who are unable to conform to the ideal were left behind, instead of being allowed to find other ways to develop, they were simply hit and told they were wrong. I'm not suggesting we should drop all standards for what is considered good behavior or academic progress, but I think different children need to be taken care of in different ways, and they should be shown some kind of respect that doesn't come out of fear. It seems archaic to me to subjugate children through fear.

As for the school shootings, have there been any good books or texts written on the subject that investigate the reasons for why this happens? I'd like to learn more about it.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

As for the school shootings, have there been any good books or texts written on the subject that investigate the reasons for why this happens? I'd like to learn more about it.

The parents.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Ollie, I'm sorry, I did misunderstand you.

Klondike: I do NOT condone prayer in public school. Those minor points just flew by me while I read that, but the peace and tranquility of the 50's is a good memory for me. That was my teen era so I was old enough to recall. I WAS one of those who grew up with a Dad who didn't know when to stop, and my Mother's favorite spanking item was the wire end of a fly swatter. Yes I spanked my kids, but with my hand except once for the two oldest kids, I used a wooden mixing spoon for ONE swat, after that all it took was rattling the utensil drawer for all 4 of them to fly to do what they had been told. I don't want parents to re-start spankings, but when they get to be 5 or 6 and still refuse to pick up their toys, or other minor childhood 'sins', I don't believe a slight swat on the back end will damage them forever.

I know that 'Keep up with the Joneses' was the theme of the 50' and 60's, but that was for the adults for housing, cars, lawns, etc. Not whose children had the best toys, or most designer clothes. It's too late to change now, but a nine year old who has a Wii, a DS, a cell phone, a Computer, a TV and all other things available, is crazy - what will she want when she's 15? Unless some new thing comes out, all she can get are replacements. I miss the time when you made a nine year old happy by giving her a baby doll, a set of jacks, and a couple of Nancy Drew books - in other words, toys that could help improve her mind, not that took away all excitement of learning.

For heavens sake, I didn't write the thing, I just thought it brought back some fond memories which are quite true, especially the cooking part. I didn't print it for it to become a bible for living.

Anne
Anne

klondike

Post by klondike »

Glad you feel that way, Anne. :)
When you run it for a third time, just delete those references first, and I'll have nothing to beef about. :mrgreen:
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

MissGoddess wrote:As for the school shootings, have there been any good books or texts written on the subject that investigate the reasons for why this happens? I'd like to learn more about it.

The parents.

Ah yes, of course.
bryce

Post by bryce »

This thread is a perfect example of why I never post here.

Sincerely,
Forum Gadfly
klondike

Post by klondike »

bryce wrote:This thread is a perfect example of why I never post here.

Sincerely,
Forum Gadfly
That's a shame, Bryce; I always look forward to reading your posts, in any forum, whenever I find them.
And I've never seen a reply from you that lacked a strong, personal sense of conviction.
Then again, every person has a right to change as their lives unfold.
bryce

Post by bryce »

Hey, I love reading this board and interacting with folks. What I don't like is this place's vibe that yesterday is better than today. This is something most folks here are guilty of - even folks that I admire and respect. I realize the forum is called Silver Screen Oasis for a reason and I am not trying to change that - I just wish the emphasis was on Oasis and less on Silver (and that Silver in this instance referred to film, not the color of one's hair).

I despise political correctness and the wussification of society more than anyone here, I'd wager, but my views on the subjects aren't framed by nostalgia - something that only weakens an otherwise semi-valid argument. Nor am I going to assert that anaphylactic shock didn't exist in my childhood or something equally preposterous - like asserting that salmonella didn't exist either or that all actresses nowadays are uncultured hussies. Oh, wait.

It all stinks of "Why, back in my day..." Uphill both ways and the sorts. Because, you know, the past is perfect: alcoholism, sexism and racism weren't ever-present in the 50s - it was a perfect dreamland where men were men, women were women, people rode unicorns across magical rainbows to and fro and children never once bullied each other.

I am part of the problem. I should post more about film. I should ignore General Chat. I cannot complain about something I am not actively working to change. I should not pass judgment on some of our members and their beliefs so quickly. I should not make trouble for you ultra-accommodating administrators. I should have participated more in ChiO's fall class. I wish I had cinemalover's energy to write and write and write passionately about film. I can't make any excuses for why I am aware of all of this but put out no effort to resolve. I signed up for the TCM boards but I've yet to make a single post. What I can tell you is that there is a direct correlation between my level of contribution and the level of cantankerousness on display - here and on other forums. It's the whole signal:noise ratio that gets me. I associate certain mentalities with certain people, and if I login any given day and see that the glut of posting is from folks who either won't respond positively or won't respond at all (which it usually is, because they outnumber the "interestin' folk" by quite a bit), I'm just not going to bother. While I wish I were pedestrian enough to enjoy flogging John Ford and the fifteen most generic films of all time (as presented by the members with the highest post counts at Turner) and how much better things were in my day GETOFFMYLAWNSYOUKIDS, I'm simply not.

I continue to read this forum because of a handful or two of people. I read regardless of whether they think I'm a pain in the ass. Regardless of their age, regardless of their station in life, regardless of anything else, they all share an incredibly deep and passionate love for film. Thankfully, that passion for film translates to a passion for life, and I have yet to find a single thing about any of these fine people that I wish to complain about. They are often "subversive," as most arts-obsessed folks are, but not always. They continually surprise me, and I feed off their energy and channel it into things not related to posting - sorry for that, I probably should give back what I'm given.

Despite being anywhere from my age to three times or older, they are all younger (and kinder) at heart than I.

Unfortunately, it's often like searching for a snowflake in a snowstorm, and by the time I've found it, I've no energy left to respond. Give me a forum full of these folks and I'll never go outside as I'll be reading and writing back so often.

There, I've made my peace, long-winded as usual.
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Bryce, I've alway enjoyed reading your posts, even on the whiny thread, and am as guilty as some others about bathering inconsequentially instead of talking film. THat's really what I'm here for. Maybe I should look for a "Reminisce"/Reiman Pub. thread or Pet Fancy thread!

Re: The good ole' days, I, too, wax nostalgic but am reminded of Dana Carvey's grouchy old man examples such as "...back in my day, we didn't have flame retardent costumes. You caught yourself on fire with your pumpkin candle and burned alive and that's the way it was AND WE LIKED IT!" Some good memories, though, Anne. You know, nobody ever told me to get down out of the tree but I sure hate to see our kids up one!

B
klondike

Post by klondike »

Thanks for taking the plunge Bryce; believe it or not, many of us feel that your "chat" postings are often just as interesting, and meaningful, as your film content postings.
I know that regardless of the percentages of "agree" & "disagree" that they elicit from me, I always come away from them with some fresh perspectives, and the feeling of having stood inside someone else's shoes.
As far as opinions on period movies, remember, please, that for many of us Boomers, much of the time, it's far more a matter of rediscovery, than of "nostalgia".
And yeah, likely I am old enough to be your grandpa, but that doesn't mean we can't, or shouldn't, interact as peers!
Minds & hearts are ageless; don't deny us access to yours!