The Domestic CAT: Feline at its finest!

Chit-chat, current events
charliechaplinfan

Re: The Domestic CAT: Feline at its finest!

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Well, I'm in denial too, it's easier now they're older. As a kitten Claude used to bring the occasional thing in alive and then drop it. You only realize how many nooks and crannys you have when you are trying to get a frightened mouse away from a cat on a mission.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

Actually my precious little wimpy Dachshund Chester has killed three squirells and a possum out in my back yard. I couldn't believe it the first time it happened. He also brought the hindquarters and apparently ATE the rest. Yuck! Blood is thicker than mud they say, and Dachshunds were initially bred to kill badgers. So hunting dogs genes compel them to kill. This from a dog who whimpers when he has his nails clipped! :o
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
charliechaplinfan

When I first met my husband he wouldn't have considered taking me out if I didn't like cats. Good job we are of the same mind. I'd find life hard without a pet.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Dear Garbomaniac,

Thank you for coming to my defense when I wrote about my cat dying and me posting it to a thread designed exclusively for dogs and their owners. I sincerely appreciate your efforts. I'm sure that you can understand why I can no longer post to this forum in good conscience. The mere fact that the "Administration" did nothing to reprimand Saint Klondike for the way he treated a fe1llow member, and one that has been here since it's inception, is a slap in my face and I believe I deserve far better. Thanks again for your support. Don't think it means nothing to me, because it means quite a bit, especially since we've never had the occasion to speak person to person. That's what makes it that much more meaningful.

As always,

Hollis

[As Hollis might acknowledge, I expressed my sincere regret over the recent loss of his cat, and the misunderstanding that resulted in a private message that encouraged him to continue as a member here and to try to move on from this incident. It was explained to all parties directly involved in this recent exchange, privately, that there were steps they might take to avoid posting impulsive remarks that they might later regret. Please review the Code of Conduct here some of the relevant passages vis a vis this sort of incident:
You may disagree with someone's opinion, but you may not attack that person for posting that opinion. Insulting another person, whether it be a mild flame (as in "idiot" or "moron") or a more severe one will not be allowed. Don't respond to a flame with a flame. You cannot flame people and then claim to have been just defending yourself. Continuous pursuit of an argument repeatedly is not conducive to civil exchanges.
Posting in order to bait other users, moderators or administrators will not be tolerated.
Before replying, take a step back for a moment, take a breath, and ask yourself: "If I read what I've just written, how would I react?" It might be useful to remember that the spontaneous nuances of speech can get lost when seen in black and white print, and without meaning to, may hurt rather than enlighten others when perceived differently than intended.
Continuing to post on this site signifies your acceptance of these rules and your consent to follow them
~ Moira]
charliechaplinfan

Hollis,

I had no idea about what you posted on the dogs thread. I've gone and read it, I wished I'd read it sooner but unfortunately I never look at the dogs thread. My heart goes out to you, I know how much of a companion Oscar has been to you and how much you love him. Take care of him, give him plenty of fuss and cuddles. Please don't leave us, Fred our cat is poorly and this thread has been such a help to me, there are many of cat lovers on this board.

Alison

ps. I'm unable to get through to you via email, they always get returned.
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

Hollis,
You are sincerely welcome. And, I encourage you to let bygones be bygones. We all say things in hast that we regret later (klondike), and we all throw tantrums over unkind remarks (you), but it has been my experience that people are forgiving and forgetful. I would miss your contributions if you really decided to leave. And, if you do continue to participate, I am sure no one will ever bring up the incident again. Unpleasantries are often best left behind. I wish you would reconsider, especially regarding your recent unhappiness. There are plenty of people here on the board that would welcome you back without comment. When I think of all the unpleasantness that happens on the TCM Boards, and how people just continue on, it seems a shame that you would not want to chat with some of us anymore. I realize this is a smaller board than TCM, and that would make it seem more personal and more difficult to escape past situations, but it can and has been done by other members, so just take a while to settle in and then just come back with the nonchalance of a member who has just been on vacation.

And, as for the rules of the board, thank goodness they don't execute them with strict action. Your comments were removed from the thread, and Klondike feels bad enough. My goodness, I have posted so many pictures that were bigger than 500! If they wanted to be vengeful and vindictive, I would have been thrown off this board a long time ago. That just shows that rules are meant to be guidelines, and for a member in good standing such as yourself, and Klondike who is an administrator, the rules were bent to accommodate good friends. Those rules are primarily, I suspect, to keep newcomers in line and to be used when absolute action needs to be taken. So, try to be as forgiving as we all try to be, and let's all move forward.

I know I am talking like I have some authority around here, which I certainly haven’t, but I do know human nature, and as it turns out, it is pretty good “natured” in the end.

James

P.S. I hope I am not over-stepping my boundries, here.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

James,
Hollis lost his beloved Oscar last week. He was devastated, but he's moving forward. He found a little black female cat at the vet's, tried bringing her home after several days, but his first female, Punkin, just wouldn't accept her. He's had his hands full breaking up fights, and has decided to return her (that was an option from the vet). All the hoo-haw at home (isn't that a great word???) has actually been a good thing, it's helped him heal a bit. I will convey your kind words to him.

Nancy
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

Thanks, Nancy, that would be nice. Sometimes all we have are our animals, and if they don't get along the stress can be so disheartening. I suppose it is best to return her and try again.

And, I think you meant hoo-raw. Hoo-haw, at least in my neck of the woods, was very naughty! Ha!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

geez, don't tell my family! I always heard hoo-haw, meaning general ruckus, upset,or noisy nuisance....I guess you COULD apply it to naughty.....nah.... :D :D What part of the woods are you from??? I'm midwest woods......

In fact, wasn't there a thread around here about different meanings to words, depending on the region? Fun idea, anyway!
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

knitwit45 wrote:geez, don't tell my family! I always heard hoo-haw, meaning general ruckus, upset,or noisy nuisance....I guess you COULD apply it to naughty.....nah.... :D :D What part of the woods are you from??? I'm midwest woods......

In fact, wasn't there a thread around here about different meanings to words, depending on the region? Fun idea, anyway!
Even in Brooklyn we say "hoo-haw" for a big ruckus, but we pronounce it "hoo-hah." I haven't heard anyone say "hoo-raw," but it sounds perfectly logical to me -- they are all very close.
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

A Hoo-hah is a ruckus here in central Illinois, as well.
I think it's a body part in a few other communities.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

This from the BBC News website - a truly revelatory newsflash regarding how cats actually use purring to manipulate humans. Wow. I wonder how much in government funds was used to make this earth-shattering discovery? It's just unbelievable I say we write in this researcher for a Nobel Prize.**

OK -- hands up: how many cat co-habitors have not experienced this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8147566.stm

**(In case you missed it, this was human sarcasm, as opposed to cat sarcasm, which involves purring.)
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

They waste MORE money on the obvious! I second the nomination to submit that study to the Nobel Prize board.

Ok, this is the last I'll say on the subject, but I was out to dinner with about eight people (here in California), and I mistakenly said Hoo-hah (hoo-haw) for hoo-raw, and the silence was deafening! Then all of a sudden the giggles started and pretty soon everyone broke into uproarious laughter! Was my face red! Snicker, snicker!
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Don't feel in any way bad, my dear James.

It would take a lifetime or two of heavy scholarship to track down every single regional American nickname and euphemism for our private parts. No matter where we are, we are bound to offend someone. How about this new trend to use the word "service" for "serve," as in "We love to service our customers?" I've tried explaining the difference to people, but the distinction is lost -- not many stud farms left in Brooklyn, you see.

How do our British members feel about our innocent American use of the word "fanny?" Wouldn't raise a single eyebrow on this side of the Atlantic.

So -- last night I discussed this purring thing with Evil Monty, and he gave me a rather ironic look, and purred. You know, I think this British cat researcher described in the BBC article may be one of those unfortunate people who simply has no "feel" for animals. Some folks just can't allow themselves to commune properly with their non-human brethren. Too bad, really; they are missing so much.
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

Well, I've always known our park-cats are sinister beings. They come in every morning about 3:30, wake me up, insist I go fishing for their breakfast, but THEY stay behind in our bed, sleeping with my wife! Two hours later, as I'm grilling their fish (they no longer accept it raw - I shouldn't complain, though - at least they don't insist on tartar sauce, melted butter or lemon juice either), they'll wander out into the picnic grounds and 'ordain' my morning labors as worthy of their continued attentions.

Fiends! All of them! And every few months, Wifey tricks me into trying to get them to teach them more soccer rules. "That's over the line again! I've clearly marked it! That's offsides! You two just can't cross over, chasing the ball like that!" Of course, the goalie hardly stays where he should either. I may never be able to field a professional cat-soccer league at this pace...