Happy Canada Day!

Chit-chat, current events
moira finnie
Administrator

Happy Canada Day!

Post by moira finnie »

Happy Canada Day

I adore our neighbors to the North. Having grown up near their border and visited many times, I sometimes wonder if the world takes them for granted? I find myself wanting to buttonhole Canadians and explaining to them what is probably obvious to their most perceptive citizens: they have a surfeit of natural and civilized beauty in their country. I also love the fact that there is something that seems a bit more laid back about them than us, thank God.

O Canada, indeed.

Here's a beautiful montage of Canadian images that used to be run on the CBC sign-off:
[youtube][/youtube]

Here's one for those French-Canadians who hold their Québécois roots dear to their hearts:
[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
klondike

Re: Happy Canada Day!

Post by klondike »

Thanks for the reminder, Moira!
In honor of our Neighbor to the North, I shall brush my Alaskan Malamute* twice today, and see if I can't track down some poutine for supper tonight! :D

*Yes, I know, the Malamute breed was developed on the shores of the Norton Sound in NW Alaska, USA (some 5,000 years ago), but the Official Seal of the Yukon Territory, Canada (pictured proudly on their provincial flag), is topped with an Alaskan Malamute for its crest!
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Moira and Klondike,

Thanks for the Canada Day cheers!!! We are now 142 years old.....

The mountain with the clouds surrounding the top in that video is Mount Rundle in Banff - just west of Calgary..... That's where I was today!!

Larry
klondike

Post by klondike »

Larry, I've said it before, I'll say it again: I seriously envy your "backyard"! 8)
I passed through Banff a couple of times in my adult life (once as a musher, once as a train tramp), and never hung around for long, but on both occasions I had to work overtime to keep my mouth from hangin' open non-stop!
Were I not a born-bred-dyed-in-wool Scotch Yankee, I think all my transcontinental pereginations might just have taken me back to the Lake Louise region, and stopped right there, for good & all!
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi again Klondike,

Well you certainly are a man of decerning & discriminating taste if you single out Lake Louise as your place of domain!!! A man on a higher plane, so to speak!!!
It is my favourite place on Earth - shear beauty all around, and clear blue skies and pure mountain air.

I'm glad you were able to visit our area and happy you enjoyed it so much....
Do come again, as this area is still unchanged and protected by the Federal government as a National Park..... Even the bears and the elk and moose like it.... :lol:

Larry
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Happy Canada Day to all our friends north of the border.

If anyone is interested you can catch live celebrations of the Commonwealth's special holiday on the CBC here. Just in case anyone missed it, Will and Kate (the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge) are in Ottawa today to participate in the proceedings. I think I detect more excitement in our equable neighbors than usual in the crowds who have gathered to cheer on the future king and queen on Parliament Hill. Here are a few pics of the happy couple, including a glimpse of a lovely red hat with a fabric maple leaf topping Katherine's white dress--symbolic of the Canadian flag, of course.

As Will just told the crowd when citing Canada's contributions to the world as they end the combat phase of their mission in Afghanistan this month, "Nous n'oublions rien"

Indeed. I don't think Canada is likely to forget this event anytime soon. Cheers!
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

When it comes to fashion she has the same flair Diana had. I watched the footage of them arriving in canada and everyone was shouting for Kate, poor William, the same problem Charles had but William will deal with it better.

Happy Canada day to all our Canadians.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

A beautiful country Canada. What a pity Canada Broadcasting blocked the youtube presentation. I think that all National Anthems are stirring. Canada`s Anthem is one of only two that I know of which are bilingual.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I visit Canada (especially British Columbia) an average of 4-6 times a year and I'm just as impressed by the beauty of Canada as just as much as my beloved Washington State. I love the friendly atmosphere up there, the lush greenery, and most importantly its has a touch of England that I like. I have many friends from days in College that came down here to get an education and I still maintained a good relationship with them for more than 30 years.

In Canada - they valued friendship more than here in United States. One thing, for sure, that down here its more disposable - but up in Canada its for life. I can argue with my friends on any subject matter and they respect it completely and honorably. Down here, if you disagree with a friend ... you will later regret it. I have a hard time keeping friends here in Emerald City than in Canada. That's why I visit that country on an average of 4-6 times a (sometimes more) year.

One of my favorite places to visit is the Butchart Gardens ... here is an excellent You Tube Video here.
[youtube][/youtube]

I visit that Wonderful Garden on an average of 4 times a year for the past 30 years and never get tired of it. So Spectacular.