Happy Fourth of July!

Chit-chat, current events
knitwit45

Happy Fourth of July!

Post by knitwit45 »

Just got this in my inbox, thought it would make a great post here....

Have you ever wondered what happened to the 56 men who signed the Declaration of Independence ?

Five signers were captured by the British as traitors, and tortured before they died.

Twelve had their homes ransacked and burned. Two lost their sons serving in the Revolutionary Army;

another had two sons captured.

Nine of the 56 fought and died from wounds or hardships of the Revolutionary War.

They signed and they pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor.

What kind of men were they?

Twenty-four were lawyers and jurists.

Eleven were merchants,

nine were farmers and large plantation owners;

men of means, well educated, but they signed the Declaration of Independence

knowing full well that the penalty would be death if they were captured.

Carter Braxton of Virginia, a wealthy planter and trader, saw his ships swept from the seas by the

British Navy. He sold his home and properties to pay his debts, and died in rags.

Thomas McKeam was so hounded by the British that he was forced to move his family almost constantly.

He served in the Congress without pay, and his family was kept in hiding. His possessions were taken from him,

and poverty was his reward.

Vandals or soldiers looted the properties of Dillery, Hall, Clymer, Walton, Gwinnett, Heyward, Ruttledge, and Middleton.

At the battle of Yorktown , Thomas Nelson, Jr., noted that the British General Cornwallis had taken over the Nelson

home for his headquarters. He quietly urged General George Washington to open fire. The home was destroyed,

and Nelson died bankrupt.

Francis Lewis had his home and properties destroyed .

The enemy jailed his wife, and she died within a few months.

John Hart was driven from his wife's bedside as she was dying. Their 13 children fled for their lives. His fields and his gristmill

were laid to waste. For more than a year he lived in forests and caves, returning home to find his wife dead and his

children vanished.

So, take a few minutes while enjoying your 4th of July holiday and silently thank these patriots. It's not much to ask for the price they paid.

Remember: freedom is never free!
Birdy

Re: Happy Fourth of July!

Post by Birdy »

Nice post, thanks.
It's easy to think The United States 'won' and it was over but the fighting went on for years.
My 5th-great grandfather fought in the battle to secure Vincennes, IN in 1778/9 which opened the Northwestern territory under George Rogers Clark. I love to watch the fireworks from that memorial, but haven't been for several years. I will, however, be on the banks of the same Wabash!

I hope you all have a wonderful 4th with all the food, fun, family and fireworks you can stand.
We're holding out for no rain!
B
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Boy, I was "took". I subscribe to snopes.com's newsletter and guess what landed in my mailbox? yup, you're right...the message I posted WITHOUT CHECKING FIRST :? :oops: :? :oops: is only partially true. There are so many rumours mixed in, it would take a WEEK to post all the facts....please check this out at http://www.snopes.com, type in "The Price They Paid", read it, and then have a good laugh on me....

The essence of the email still rings true: Freedom is NOT free. There are still many places in this troubled world of ours where I would probably had had a knock on my door by now, had I dared to post such radical ideas.....
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Here's my own personal 'snopes' to my little story - before you think I'm 100 percent patiotic blood, or something.
The other side of my family may very well have been the Indians attacking the fort with the French. !!
B
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Well, Miss Birdy, if ANYONE had the right to complain loudly about the upstarts waging war on THEIR land, it was that side of your family!!! (somewhere down the road, it sounds like at least 2 people from opposite sides worked out their own peace treaty :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: )
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

To our friends here and abroad, many wishes for a joyous day of freedom on the Fourth of July.

Before we settle down with Joe E. Brown, Fred Keating, Glenda Farrell, James Cagney, and Pat O'Brien for a celebratory barbecue at the O'Brien household, perhaps you'd enjoy a little game. (Say, didn't Fred Keating look a lot like Jack LaRue?)

To celebrate our classic American film roots, I offer the following thumbnail images for your enjoyment--and occasional puzzlement, as you wonder how they came up with some of these cockamamie ideas for publicity stills and the circumstances when they were taken. (Since a few of these people on display are a wee bit obscure, I've added an asterisk next to them with info below about their background). See if you can match the numbered image below to the names listed correctly (please click on the thumbnail to see the larger version of the images). No points for the two most obvious stars shown (hint: they were married). I'll post the correct answers on Thursday of this week. Have fun!:

1.) Image 2.) Image 3.) Image 4.) Image 5.) Image

6.) Image 7.) Image 8.) Image 9.) Image 10.) Image

11.) Image 12.) Image 13.) Image 14.) Image 15.) Image

16.) Image 17.) Image 18.) Image 19.) Image 20.) Image
21.) Image

Betty Hutton __________
Elizabeth Taylor __________
Mary Pickford __________
Adelle August* __________
Cyd Charisse __________
Cyd Chrisse (yes, she appears twice) __________
Ann Miller __________
Ann Miller (yes, she appears twice too) __________
Ann Rutherford __________
Madge Evans __________
Mary Martin __________
Ava Gardner __________
Dorothy Arnold** __________
Clara Bow __________
Jinx Falkenberg*** __________
Betty Hutton __________
Ella Raines __________
Douglas Fairbanks, Sr. __________
Gloria Grahame __________
Joan Crawford __________
Virginia Dale**** __________
Colleen Moore __________

*Adelle August (1934-2004) was the former Miss Washington 1952, whose beauty took her to Hollywood, where she appeared in several Columbia movies in the '50s, (most of them uncredited). These included Women's Prison (1955), My Sister Eileen (1955), and 5 Against the House (1955). Her decade in Hollywood ended when Ms. August wed Leonard G. Rogers, a wealthy tobacco man.

**Dorothy Arnold (1917-1984) was an actress for two decades in Hollywood, but her most famous performance was off-screen as Joe DiMaggio's first wife (well before Marilyn) and the mother of his son, Joseph III, which kept the lady busy for all of the '40s and most of the '50s. Ms. Arnold can be seen in You Can't Cheat an Honest Man (1939), Lizzie (1957) and Fräulein (1958).

***Jinx Falkenberg (1919-2003), who is forgotten now, was one of the most famous women in America in her day--though she was actually raised in Chile. She began her film career in the mid-'30s in that country, but came to frothy prominence in the U.S. as a Goldwyn Girl in Strike Me Pink (1936), appeared with Joan Davis in Two Latins from Manhattan (1941). Her real prominence came from her ubiquitous presence in print ads, on radio and later television, which peaked around the time that her brother, Bob Falkenburg became the 1948 Wimbledon Tennis Champion.

****Virginia Dale (1917-1994), who appeared with Gable in Idiot's Delight (1939), co-starred with Fred Astaire and Bing Crosby in Holiday Inn (1941), was a Miss California in 1937, never quite broke through after some featured roles at Paramount.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

[youtube][/youtube]
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Great clip of Marvin Gaye giving a soulful rendition of The Star-Spangled Banner, Ark! Thanks for that.

As promised, here are the answers to the above frivolity.

Betty Hutton ____4______

Elizabeth Taylor ___9_______

Mary Pickford ___2_______

Adelle August* ____11______

Cyd Charisse ____7______

Cyd Chrisse (yes, she appears twice) _______17___

Ann Miller ___6_______

Ann Miller (yes, she appears twice too) ____19______

Ann Rutherford ____8______

Madge Evans ___14_______

Mary Martin ___21_______

Ava Gardner ____5______

Dorothy Arnold** ___16_______

Clara Bow ____10______

Jinx Falkenberg*** ___18_______

Ella Raines ____13______

Douglas Fairbanks, Sr. _1_________

Gloria Grahame ____12______

Joan Crawford ____20______

Virginia Dale****___15_______

Colleen Moore___3____

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I could not resist posting this as the silliest publicity still ever foisted on the public and a starlet. Is this any way for Della Street aka Barbara Hale to appear?

I hope Ms. Hale is somewhere laughing heartily about her younger self getting talked into this one.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I love that photograph that you posted Moira. So freaking cute of Barbara Hale! :)
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Happy 4th of July, everybody!

Barbara Hale had to be talked into that outfit! :wink:
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I hope you're all having a nice one. Is it a national holiday?
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

The biggest. It is the day (236 years ago) we declared our independence from the British crown. And now look what good friends we are.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

We needed to have our behinds kicked once in a while back then. Have a nice day off everyone.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

have a safe and happy Fourth, but PLEASE be courteous with fireworks. More and more Combat Vets are returning home, there are lots of Seniors and Juniors and pets who don't like to hear explosions going off in their back yards... be safe!!!!
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard