What are you listening to?

Chit-chat, current events
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

My current musical obsession is SHELBY LYNNE and her new CD, "Just A Little Lovin'" - a tribute to Dusty Springfield. It's absolutely beautiful and wonderful and conveys a sad and honest sweeetness that, despite having its roots in 1960s country, pop and r&b, seems insanely new and fresh. Please check her out!!!! You won't regret it!
Here's a link to an article about her in the New York Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/13/magaz ... nne-t.html
benwhowell

Post by benwhowell »

Thanks for reminding me to pick that one up, Dewey. I should really start writing lists...my "mental notes" just don't work as well as they used to.
I LOVE Shelby Lynne...still playing her "I Am Shelby Lynne" album. I remember how "confused" she looked at the Grammys for winning a Best New Artist award for it...since it was her 10TH(?) album!
"Just A Little Lovin'" is my favorite track from Dusty's "Memphis" album.
The strings heard on "I Am Shelby Lynne" were recorded in a Memphis studio.
Did Shelby record this "tribute" album in Memphis too?
Another "country/soul" artist I'm really into is Cat Power/Chan Marshall...who is (ironically) from Memphis! Check out "The Greatest."
Her recent CD is a cover album called "Jukebox."
Gotta add that to my list...
Handsome Johnny Eck
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Hey Ben, skate on over to the Record Party; I just posted a track
off the new SHELBY LYNNE cd. I know you'll like it!
-Dewey
melwalton

music

Post by melwalton »

Judith

Gershwin said 'he had more songs in his head than he could ever put on paper'
Here's an old tale that I can't verify: Irving Berlin could not read or write music. How he did it is a good question. Starting out, He and other 'Singing waiters, made up songs and the piano player worked them out. Afterwards he hummed or sang tunes that fit his lyrics and had an arranger write then down. He did learn to play a piano ( I don't know how that worked out ) and had one made especially for him with a different type of keyboard. His best song (MO) was inspired by Rachmaninoff ( cheek to cheek) I once heard it done by a symphony orchestra. Put me on that higher plane.
Frank Loesser started out writing lyrics and was told ( or discovered ) that it was easy to apply a rhythm to a poem whereupon he started writing music to fit his lyrics.
Bing Crosby could not read music. Interesting.
I agree it's impossible to imagine a world without music.'
Apropos of nothing: I can't stand rock and roll, I find it, actually annoying. .... mel
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

melwalton said:
Bing Crosby could not read music. Interesting.

I read somewhere years ago that Der Bingle credited his success to his belief that every man sounded just like him when singing in the shower, so there was an identification. Not so sure. I sound more like Gilbert Gottfried.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
melwalton

music

Post by melwalton »

ChiO
I sound like Donald Duck. .... mel
movieman

Sunny Sweeney: "Heartbreaker's Hall of Fame" (2006

Post by movieman »

These days I'm listening to the great debut CD album from the country songstress Sunny Sweeney: "Heartbreaker's Hall of Fame" (2006).
Sunny's music is traditional and at the same time fresh and rocking.
I love traditional country in the lines of Honky Tonk and Nashville Sound.
This CD has many Honky Tonk tracks.
The song "Mama's Opry" is very traditional with fiddles, it's beautiful!
The ballads are beautiful. The upbeat tempo songs like "East Texas Pines", "Please Be San Antone" and "If I Could" are great!

Sunny visited Norway last year and I weren't there! What a pity! But, I wasn't aware of this magnificent artist at the time.

If I'd have to throw the dice on this one it would land on a strong 5.

If her voice had been more along the lines of Connie Smith, Patsy Cline and Linda Ronstadt it could, possibly, have reached 6.
She is a fine songstress no matter what!

I can't wait to give this album another spin in the player.

If you consider yourself a country fan this is a must-buy, in my opinion.

Now, when will her next album be released and when will she visit Norway?

Even B
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Mel mentioned several writers who couldn't score music but most rock stars (I know you hate that music Mel) couldn't write music. The Beatles, The Bee Gees, Neil Diamond and any number of other historically successful writers couldn't do it.

Most of them, The Beatles especially, weren't restricted by their knowledge. At least in this part George Martin was especially useful in interpreting their ideas and realizing their music.

They (writers) don't know what they couldn't do so it allowed them a wide creative range.

The next best thing to a good composer is a good arranger. Too few of them as well.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
melwalton

music

Post by melwalton »

Well put, Chris. .... mel
David

Desert Island Discs

Post by David »

Hey you members posting here, why not put your money where your mouths are and list your eight favourite records in my "Desert Island Discs" segment in the Musicals section. All are welcome, let's see what you like and why you like it.

David
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Charlie Chaplin couldn't read music. He hummed his themes to others who wrote them down. He could play the piano, violin and cello himself and he knew what instruments he wanted on his soundtracks.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Avalon

Post by Avalon »

My tastes are more than a bit eclectic. Right now I'm going back and forth between The Offspring - Greatest Hits (hard rock), Maroon 5 - It Won't Be Soon Before Long (top 40/rock/funk), and an album of Helen Kane tracks I downloaded off the Internet Archive's 78 rpm page. :lol:
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Good afternoon all,

Today found me in a funny sort of musical mood. I started out with Joni Mitchell (my favorite for Sunday mornings) and went on to Al Stewart, The Dixie Chicks, Linda Ronstadt, Vassar Clements, The Highwaymen, Talking Heads and finally to Glenn Miller and Bennie Goodman. As long as it's not rap or "progressive" jazz, I can listen and enjoy.

As always,

Hollis
movieman

Post by movieman »

Hi all!

I'm currently listening to the 7 CD box set "Anita Carter - Appalachian Angel, Her Recordings 1950-1972 & 1996", Bear Family Records 2004.

I love her voice. She was one of the Carter sisters from the Carter Family. She was the first to make a recording of "Ring of Fire" (written by her sister June and Merle Kilgore). Johnny Cash made a hit out of it some months later.

This box is a great find for me. She never made it big as a solo act, but the recordings are, mostly, beautiful no matter what.

Even B
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Even B,

Tell me what you think of Alison Krauss and the duo of Doc and Merle Watson? (Who was tragically killed long before his time) I'd never been a fan of country or bluegrass music until I moved to Alabama from Pennsylvania. I'm still more of a rock n' roller, and always will be, but there are a handul of country/bluegrass artists I've really come to love. Add to the aforementioned above The Dixie Chicks, Vassar Clements and Nickel Creek. There's definitely something to be said for being able to understand all the lyrics the first time you hear a song!

As always,

Hollis