Morning tea

Chit-chat, current events
MissGoddess

Re: Morning tea

Post by MissGoddess »

Your rooms sound beautiful! I love all the colors and think the grey and white for the basement would be lovely...what will the room be used for?

I've gone through several of the posts, wandered into some of the shops advertised...it's all so addictive! I found this blog in the first place because I was searching for a website for a magazine I found and LOVE, called Campagne Decoration (France), and up popped this site. Evidently the blogger loves this magazine, too.
:D
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

At least you all have rooms! Living in a studio with a house-sized imagination is beyond challenging. :D I avoided these magazines, websites, deco shops for the last few years because they ended up depressing and frustrating me to no end, as I have no room to do most anything I want. Sigh.
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Maven - I love both the houses in those movies! The house across the street from me is the spitting image of the Blandings house, very Connecticut farmhousey colonial.... when the last couple were selling it, I made the mistake of looking at the inside, because I thought if it was not as great inside as it is outside, I wouldn't keep staring across the street all the time dreaming of it... big mistake. It was just as great inside as out. sigh

Chris - you are totally right about the money and where it goes to, mostly Alice right now. You might as well spend it for what you want, instead of saving it for a rainy day and it all goes out the window anyway.

Goddess - that is the reason I don't watch HGTV anymore, nor look at the 7 or so blogs I bookmarked long ago. I was just making myself a mess, I wanted wanted wanted, and couldn't get any of it, not even the DIY projects I thought I might attempt turned out to have hidden costs and strings attached.

As soon as my kitchen was done, with it's muted light woods and creamy Spanish colors, everyone started doing these white on white kitchens with beautiful Carrera or Calacatta marble, which is totally ridiculous, but I admit to wanting it! Imagine keeping that marble spotless, and all that white floor and cabinetry, oy! But it looks SO GOOD... sigh
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I love the warm look of wood you chose, it's neutral enough you can use any colors you like with it. My kitchen has blah grey Formica counters and grey tile floor. The floor is okay but the counter top is so aggressively utilitarian I could scream. It makes any attempt to soften or add color difficult. I have contented myself with only white, clear glass or steel colored canisters, et al, and a wood-top, portable "island" (cart) which I wish my whole kitchen could have that same wood. As for the cabinet doors, they need a coat of paint, but I'm afraid my landlord would have a conniption since they're also that cheap, plastic laminate-over-pressboard.

However, I did defy them enough to paint the apartment walls a cheerful, provencal yellow.

I know what you mean about DIY projects that can end up costing twice as much as just going out and buying retail. It's crazy like that. Probably because the whole "DIY" thing, thanks to HGTV and Martha Stewart, has proven to be a real cash cow.

Flea markets are still a good choice. You must have great ones, and garage sales, up in CT!

One of my favorite joys of traveling in France was visiting the markets in each village. I STILL haven't forgiven myself for not picking up a lovely toile-de-jouy comforter I saw that was 1/4 the price of a similar one I saw here.
-- Will Rogers
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Wendy, our lives are so similar, especially with husbands and daughters. Time does evaporate doesn't it? Good intentions, tins of paint bought lie untouched because the kids are so busy. I didn't have a mobile phone until I had kids and I got that to be able to organise the kids social arrangements with other mums. I was very reluctant too, I don't like the idea of being able to be contacted all the time. Chris has that perfectionist streak as well. We've recently had some windows put in our gable end, the builders did it for us all Chris had to do was paint the window bottom, undercoat stinks so the cats won't go near it or so he thought, one ginger pussy cat with white paws later and four paw prints in his nice painting he tried again. He painted the skirting boards only to find out that our black and white cat now has more white than before. And I want to add a puppy to this madhouse? I'm the mad one.

I'm glad you enjoy our stories Theresa, I've never lived in a city, it looks so glamourous in films, I'm not glamourous at all. I enojy my house, especially when it's peaceful. We moved 3 years ago to a new built house, we're painting the walls to cover up sticky handprints. I like to aspire to be a domestic goddess but in reality I'm full of good intentions towards domesticity.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

You are so smart, Goddess, to stick with glass & stainless in your kitchen! I bet it is sleek and pretty.

I long sometimes for sleek, but it isn't in my nature. I am certainly no minimalist! I get swayed by color, but I do love the look of simple grey and white. I admit I can't stand Formica, so I really feel for you. But every time I see bits of your apartment, I am overwhelmed by the simple elegance of it all. You have superb taste.

Those neutral, lightly stained birch cabinets of mine only look good with saturated colors, no pastels - brights or deep hues work best, though I don't really like pastels much anyway. I'd love to be able to switch out colors every six months in there, but I haven't got enough room for storing that many dishes. I stick with a small mix of dishes, a few dark olive or lime greens, periwinkle blues, cobalts and rich purples, and some deep rich yellows, I am a yellow fanatic. I have recently added some saturated turquoises, but I can't always display them with the other colors, so they stay hidden or get placed in the dining room. The bright olive (more like a deep grass green) seems to suit the kitchen best, so I keep a few of those items out on the counter or on the open dish rack. The walls are still white, making a neutral scheme, so I can show off the colors in the glass front upper cabinets in the corners. I love the colors of Talavera tile, which seem to suit the Spanish look of the rest of the kitchen and use those colors I just mentioned. I am sometimes tempted to paint the entire room rich caramel, but I stop myself, because it would be a huge undertaking, we have a high ceiling with no discernable line to stop at, and plus the room is really rather small to darken with color that much.

Oh my gosh, I AM Mrs. Blandings! Listen to me: caramel, lime, olive, periwinkle! Yeah lady, yellow, green, blue. :D

Oh man, I love Toile de Jouy, I would probably kill myself if I went to France and couldn't bring back the whole country. I once saw a pair of traditional silvery pewter lamps with silver-grey toile shades, the grey was a dark background to the lighter pattern, silky looking but in a slightly modern shape, they would have fit any room beautifully! I still think of them and the opportunity I passed up.

Alison, I too am wondering what I've done, bringing the dog into this mix, all I am doing right now is picking up shredded sticks embedded in the carpet, bits of chew toys and fuzz from her stuffed animals that she rips into shreds, and carries with her proudly to us as her 'kills'. It could be worse, at least she isn't leaving bodily fluids or other functions behind.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I miss the old DIY shows when they showed you how to update without putting out $2,000. to $30,000.00. I still pull from my old notes when I start to redo a room. My landlord said I could paint as long as I used light, or pastel colors, so I painted the upper half of my kitchen dining area a pretty baby blue, and the lower half a great beige, with a 9" seaside border separating the two colors. The border should be at the top of the wall near the ceiling, but I used it for a divider and the colors are mainly light blue and beige, and I have very simple white lace curtains on the windows. My cabinets are a horrible almost black wood effect (also of pressed wood), so rather than destroying with paint, I just covered with pure white contact paper, the difference in lightening the room is shocking. I love DIY and usually get my ideas when I'm sitting blabbing on the phone and gazing around the room. I love the look of the stainless steel kitchen and praise anyone who has it, but I don't think I could live with that much stainless. My friend has just had her kitchen completely overhauled and after spending several hours sitting in the kitchen having tea and coffee, I start to feel like I'm in the house of mirrors at the amusement park, but she loves it and I'm glad for her. Also there is no getting away from the fact that it looks like a professional chefs kitchen.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ooh, how beachy it sounds Anne! That's marvelous about the contact paper. I would never think of something like that, but it makes total sense.

I do like black cabinetry, in the right place. There is a kitchen in nearby Stonington that has a full wall of windows overlooking the ocean on one side, and black cabinets set perpendicular to the windows on the side, no uppers. Then a large island sits out in the middle, without blocking the view. it's stunning. The whole feeling is light and airy, not dark or cavelike. It feels a bit like being on board a very classy, very sleek yacht.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Saaaay Jaxxxxon, how are you seeing into these kitchens? Are you tip-toeing up to their window? Breaking into their homes? HOW? :shock:

An actress friend of mine's wants me to help her shoot a ten-minute pilot for a local station (WNYC) about how to cook in a small kitchen. She's calling it, "COOKING IN A SMALL KITCHEN." Her neighbor is a chef in a mid-town restaurant, and he's to host the show. We're still working out the details, but at the end of it all...I should get a nice home-cooked meal.

These kitchens described here sound positively palatial!
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

You can't beat a good home cooked meal.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

:-)

I house sat my friends' brownstone two summers ago. Shot video of the place. If I ever edit that together, I'll show you a real live Brooklyn brownstone.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Mave, they have home and garden tours here every summer, to make money for the garden club, or whatever. I went a few years ago. It can get pricey, about 25 bucks if you pay in advance, 30 or more if you pay on the day, so I don't do it often. That black kitchen overlooking the water was the absolute best one on the tour. I never forgot it. Apparently the millionaires who owned it gutted the house interior and opened the whole thing so you could literally feel like you were riding over the water no matter where you were in the house. It's smashing. Ever since I saw it I've been a fan of black cabinets with white carrera marble on top. It's so elegant and clean looking.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

MissG -

I can't stop looking at that House of Turquoise blog! I keep going further and further into it. There is one beachy looking house, all done with DIY projects and cheap Target furnishings. I am in love with the simplicity of it. When I do my basement, I will probably start with an IKEA sectional, but I have a ton of ideas now on how to accessorize on the cheap. Here's the beach house:

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Me, too, Wendy, I've been wasting ever so much time on daydreams with this and other blogs. Will your Ikea sectional be white? I love white sofas. Mine is so old it's changed to beige, not attractive so I use sofa covers. I would love a pure white sofa with "feet". However, with two beige cats, my camel-colored slipcover works more practically.

Here are some other "inspiring" rooms:

http://decordeprovence.blogspot.com/201 ... iring.html

A note about this blog, one entry begins by saying "one does not need much to be happy" and proceeds with photos of homes that only someone at least moderately wealthy could afford. Honesty is sometimes best un-searched for among these blogs.

-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Yes, I would like to get a white slipcovered sectional so I can bleach the thing or clean it as needed. Then I would add pillows as the fancy struck, whatever color I wanted to use would work.

When we first moved into our house I wanted white furniture but everyone told me that it was impractical. Here I am 12 years later and I still dream of white furniture.