Morning tea

Chit-chat, current events
JackFavell

Re: Morning tea

Post by JackFavell »

Oh no! This blog is as good as the other! I am loving the very tall room with the yellow full length curtains. As they say "it's all in the bone structure".

I can never make up my mind whether I like those bleached white or beige floorboards, or the really dark espresso ones. I guess either would make me happy. My family is so middle of the road, nothing drastic ever makes it's way in here. I love high contrast.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

JackFavell wrote:Oh no! This blog is as good as the other! I am loving the very tall room with the yellow full length curtains. As they say "it's all in the bone structure".

I can never make up my mind whether I like those bleached white or beige floorboards, or the really dark espresso ones. I guess either would make me happy. My family is so middle of the road, nothing drastic ever makes it's way in here. I love high contrast.

lol, oh, Wendy, you sound like Charlie Brown! :D You have a lovely home. You know, the way you describe it reminds me of the house in one of the later Anne of Green Gables books, after she marries. Remember their first house? It was very quirky, not at all what she dreamed of but then she began to see its "flaws" lovingly and it became their "house of dreams".

I love wood floors of any kind. I wish I could afford to have my own stripped, re-sanded and polished. They need it but my landlord would never spring for it.

I've discovered white can be the most practical color so long as the items are designed to remove the covers and throw them in the washer (with bleach, if needed). Dark colors do hide soiling, but I always fear they make me lazy and then they just accumulate dirt you can't see. With white you know it actually is clean. Except when red wine is served....
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Dark colors do hide soiling, but I always fear they make me lazy and then they just accumulate dirt you can't see.
To quote my favorite philosopher and interior decorator: Well, duh!
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I agree. I love white, and realized it's better to be able to wash the covers, though I do wash my couch cushion covers (tea colored with a faded floral motif) often.

My kitchen counter hides dirt and spills almost too well. It's granite like this, in fact I have a copper sink too, but no roosters:

I actually have to wipe the whole thing down, then look at it from counter level to make sure there aren't any left over crumbs sticking up. Everything fades into it, you can't spot any but the most brightly colored spills like tomato sauce. I picked it for that reason but it does too good a job.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Oh how nice! A copper sink, really?? I LOVE copper. How do you keep it from tarnishing? Or is it coated with something? I have a set of French copper pots and they are a bear to keep polished but they're so pretty I've always wanted to install a rack so I could hang them on the wall in my kitchen.

I would love to have a copper sink in my "dream house".
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

You can wax it with food grade wax, or leave it to tarnish. Once in a while I scour it. Mine has a dark hammered patina and that's how I like it, I'd hate one of those shiny ones, I could never keep it nice. It's also antibacterial so I find it really safe and you can't wreck it.

I have a few copper pots, but they have a finish on them to protect the clean copper look so I don't cook with them. I am waiting for a pot rack to go up on my rustic barn wall in the kitchen to hang them. I wish I had a whole set!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

oh, I see. I keep hoping there is a way to avoid elbow-grease with these things. There never is! :D
-- Will Rogers
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Just what I need, a whole listing of vintage interior blogs (including international ones, at that!) <sigh>

http://vintageinteriorblogs.blogspot.com/
-- Will Rogers
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

It isn't often I get obsessed with something new that involves "technology", but I'm recently enslaved by this "Pinterest" phenomenon. It feeds my insatiable appetite for finding and keeping photos from the web without the bother of saving them on hard drive or worrying about "stealing" anyone's bandwidth. Anyway, I had to share this particular "pinboard" since I also follow the blog, all about a family living in Normandy in a beautiful country house (what else is there in Normandy?!):

http://pinterest.com/sharoninfrance/

this one is mine: :)

http://pinterest.com/picassosummer/
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

oh no! I have so far stayed away from pinterest.... Now I may not be able to...
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

If you think that Pinterest is addictive, wait until you start cruising the vintage stuff on Etsy.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

moirafinnie wrote:If you think that Pinterest is addictive, wait until you start cruising the vintage stuff on Etsy.
I'm way ahead of you! I got hooked on that site two years ago when looking for cute collars for my kits. :shock:
-- Will Rogers
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

For all you design aficianados, here is a blog created by author and magazine editor Janelle McCulloch that is basically an online "library of design". Lots of scrumptious photos on various design themes and subjects, plus tons of recommendations and links.

http://janellemccullochlibraryofdesign.blogspot.com/
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Well, I already love the tips for good photographs on the first page... there are some great ideas here! Thanks MissG!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I didn't know where to post this, but if you're ever looking for a gift for the classic movie fan that "has everything", here are mousepads made up from classic movie film posters. quite a selection, too:

http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=1349388797/ ... ouse%20pad

here's one for movieman1957:

-- Will Rogers