Whatcha cookin' for Thanksgiving?

Chit-chat, current events
SSO Admins
Administrator

Re: Whatcha cookin' for Thanksgiving?

Post by SSO Admins »

moirafinnie wrote: Is it possible that this item might be part of a Baltimore tradition with roots in that city's German immigrant population? Sounds like quite the side dish!
This USA Today article discusses how sauerkraut became a part of the Maryland Thanksgiving tradition. You're right -- it's part of the German immigrant heritage here. The other Maryland tradition that I've become quite fond of is oyster stuffing. Mmmmmm.

I have no idea what we're having for Tday since this will be my first year going to my fiance's parents house. Other than pie. Courtney made that.
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Mmmm, my neighborhood restaurant delivered up a very nice Thanksgiving dinner indeed. Tossed salad (yes, I ate the salad -- for some reason I was in the mood for it), dark and light meat turkey with stuffing, gravy, and cranberry sauce, braised cauliflower, sweet potatoes, pumpkin pie, and coffee. I managed it all except for the sweet potatoes -- it was either them or the pie, and the pie won. Sigh. . . . :wink:

Edit to add: I found room for the sweet potatoes. :lol:
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

jondaris wrote:I have no idea what we're having for Tday since this will be my first year going to my fiance's parents house. Other than pie. Courtney made that.
FIANCE!!!

Am I out of the loop again?
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Jon!!! are we the last to know this wonderful news???? Well, Congratulations!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
klondike

Post by klondike »

Personally, I suspect that Jon has been leading a double-life, and that his fiancee has no idea that in web-guise he is the Sheikh Supreme of the Oasis of the Silver Screen!
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

First of all, Jon--Congrats on your engagement! I'm thankful for you starting up this site for all of us!

Secondly, I've loved reading all of these posts with everyone's culinary traditions for Thanksgiving. Ken, I'm sorry that your range broke! The burners on my sister's stove stopped working and they went out and bought a new stove the day before Thanksgiving this year! We always go to her house and she is a good cook. I had fun playing The Beatles rock band on Wii with my 11 year old nephew and the other adults. I'm great at singing, but only so-so on the guitar. It was fun!

Today hubby and I are going to his parents house for our SECOND Thanksgiving dinner. We used to do both on the same day, but it was just too hard. And after enjoying my second turkey today, I am going to the theatre to get ready for opening night of Beauty and the Beast! I am playing the Wardrobe. Good thing I'm playing a large character that rolls around the stage, 'cause I'm going to be FULL. LOL!

Sandy K
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Thank you sandykaypax ! :D
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Hi Sandy!
The burners on my sister's stove stopped working and they went out and bought a new stove the day before Thanksgiving this year!
many years ago, I called my best friend, Pat, the day before Thanksgiving, and found her in tears. She was hosting her first Thanksgiving dinner for the inlaws, and the element in the oven had just burned out. The only place open that had a replacement was 30 miles west of her. I was 40 miles north of her. I put my son in the car, an old VW bug, and headed to her house, picked up her and her two little boys, and we headed for the dealership. This place closed early for the holiday, so we really had to hustle that poor little "bug". By the time we staggered home we'd put another 120 or more miles on the car. I swear I heard it sigh when we pulled in our driveway. Since that time, it has become a tradition for me to call her and tell her to check the oven :lol:
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

We've got plenty of left-overs! Who's joining us for dinner?
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Thanks, but I'm stuffed. Just finished chicken parmigiana and pasta (same restaurant as yesterday). I do have fond memories of those leftover turkey and stuffing sandwiches. . . . :D
klondike

Post by klondike »

Professional Tourist wrote:those leftover turkey and stuffing sandwiches. . . . :D
Mrs. K makes them with cream cheese & cranberry sauce layered between the turkey & stuffing . . we call them "gobblers", though after 2or 3 of 'em over as many lunches, I start to feel like I'm the gobbler!. :mrgreen:
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Jon - Congrats on your good news. I hope you had a wonderful day with your new family.

PT - forgot to mention I loved Endora's recipe and shared the pic with my Sis. (Also a huge Endora fan.)

Everyone's food sounds so delicious.
I stuffed myself beyond reason and am now trying to sweat it off.
I hope you all had a great day.

B
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

We don't have to cook this year. Going to my in-laws where they will try and make me eat veggies.

It is still entirely possible that The Bride will cook one over the weekend for us because she likes the leftovers. What I like for Thanksgiving, or pretty much anytime, she summed in one word - beige. She says I eat beige food. It's bland. I'm bland. She still loves me, go figure.
Chris

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

movieman1957 wrote:We don't have to cook this year. Going to my in-laws where they will try and make me eat veggies.

It is still entirely possible that The Bride will cook one over the weekend for us because she likes the leftovers. What I like for Thanksgiving, or pretty much anytime, she summed in one word - beige. She says I eat beige food. It's bland. I'm bland. She still loves me, go figure.
Neither turkey nor you are bland...but might be described as warm, comforting and reliably enjoyable. Man, if only this world had more like you. Good luck at the in-laws. Are they vegetarians?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

No. They aren't vegetarians. I just have a thing about most vegetables. The Bride will, no doubt, try and decorate my plate with at least one pea. Not gonna happen.

Thank you Moira. You are sweet to say those nice things about me.
Chris